CBC cuts staff in lieu of NHL cancellation - including Cole's heir apparent Cuthbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysfanatic*

Scugs said:
I honestly think all the people who care on these boards, and I would hope its alot, write in and complain, and demand they bring Cuthbert back. I truly believe that if enough people complain that it would have an impact.

I complained. :D

Remember, we, the fans got Ron McLean his job back.

MacDaddy TLC*

Wondercarrot said:
Cuthberts voice is perfect for calling games. .
Cuthbert's voice is perfect for calling dogs! Even deaf people are happy to "hear" that he was fired!

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
According to todays Toronto Star and Globe and Mail,Cuthbert had a contract that would have allowed CBC to give him a sabbatical during the strike and bring him back later,but they instead decided to terminate his contract.According to the Star,unlike other CBC staffers who were laid off during the strike,his termination is final,he will not be invited back when hoockey starts again.

."Globe and Mail

There was an indeed an uprising among many in the Canadian sports scene who viewed the CBC's decision to fire Cuthbert as both ridiculous and ill-founded.
He also had a freelance contract with the CBC that allowed for renegotiation if the NHL cancelled its season. According to the terms of the contract, Cuthbert could have taken a sabbatical until the NHL returned, or his salary, believed to be about $350,000, could have been renegotiated, depending on what he was assigned to cover.

"This decision doesn't makes sense," an industry source insisted. "Nancy Lee creates a position [manager of program acquisitions for CBC television sports] in order to hire her friend Sue Prestedge last year, then gets rid of Chris Cuthbert. I know Chris makes more money, but why hire Prestedge when the threat of a lengthy [NHL] lockout was so real?"
"

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Cuthbert was on the fan wednesday evening, anyone catch what he was talking about?

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
pepty said:
According to todays Toronto Star and Globe and Mail,Cuthbert had a contract that would have allowed CBC to give him a sabbatical during the strike and bring him back later,but they instead decided to terminate his contract.According to the Star,unlike other CBC staffers who were laid off during the strike,his termination is final,he will not be invited back when hoockey starts again.

."Globe and Mail

There was an indeed an uprising among many in the Canadian sports scene who viewed the CBC's decision to fire Cuthbert as both ridiculous and ill-founded.
He also had a freelance contract with the CBC that allowed for renegotiation if the NHL cancelled its season. According to the terms of the contract, Cuthbert could have taken a sabbatical until the NHL returned, or his salary, believed to be about $350,000, could have been renegotiated, depending on what he was assigned to cover.

"This decision doesn't makes sense," an industry source insisted. "Nancy Lee creates a position [manager of program acquisitions for CBC television sports] in order to hire her friend Sue Prestedge last year, then gets rid of Chris Cuthbert. I know Chris makes more money, but why hire Prestedge when the threat of a lengthy [NHL] lockout was so real?"
"

i really want nancy lee to be fired... she's also the genious who cancelled the hockey day in canada event (and cuthbert was upset over this), and then look what TSN did with it (they showed that after the cancellation of the season, hockey was about more than pro sports)... aparently CBC is getting a lot of emails/faxes about Cuthbert, and i hope theres more to come! the other thing is CBC didn't have to pay a cent to Cuthbert because of his contract, and the CFL was starting up anyways which makes the firing even more nonsensical

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Is Lee also responsible for Movie Night in Canada, instead of doing what any logical network starving to show hockey would have done (i.e. show vintage hockey games, show AHL games, show CHL games, show European games, heck start their own charity tournament, etc.)? Like they did in 94-95.

No offense to the movie-going crowd, but who thought of this idea as a space-filler on Saturday nights? I suppose some of the movies being shown keep in mind the hockey demographic, but others have been really really out there. I mean, if you're a hardcore hockey fan and you've been watching HNIC for decades, are you really the type of person that's into "Ice Age" or other Disney animated feature???

Just throwing it out there, maybe it's me.

Slapshot17

Aug 29, 2004
Prince George
This is just awful. Nancy Lee really needs to be removed from her position. Personal grudges should never come into play when they can endanger the quality of the product. Especially when your operating on the tax payers dollars.

Chris Cuthbert was a great play by play man for CBC in many more sports than just hockey. He was an asset to the network, and will be quickly picked up by someone else. I always hoped CBC would have him replace Bob Cole and hire Jim Houghson for the west coast games. That would have been an incredible 1-2 punch. After Bob Cole who do they really have now, that is competent enough to call hockey at all?

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Isles72 said:
joe bowen would get the HNIC Toronto gig over anyone else once Cole retires.

bowen does all the non HNIC leaf games so it only makes sense

better get used to more holy makinaws
I've never heard Bowen work a non-Leaf game for CBC. I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just never heard it.

The one or two Saturdays all season when Toronto is not the main game on CBC, I can recall Dean Brown or Don Whitman. Can anyone else confirm?

I believe it was Stephen Brunt who said that the CBC asked Cole to take an early retirement. If Bowen takes over, he'll make Cole sound like the most balanced play by play man on the planet.

AJ93

May 8, 2002
Anyone remember when MacLean and Cherry's contracts expired with CBC, and all the crap that followed, well that's all Nancy Lee's fault aswell. From what I've been told, she wanted MacLean and Cherry out for good, and still does, and only re-signed them because the CBC hierarchy told her to after all the public pressure they received.

IMO, Nancy Lee is a total biatch that has absolutley no clue what she's doing, and should be removed from the position she's in. Like some others have said, cancelling Hockey Day In Canada was probably the worst thing she did.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
it's unreal. i agree completely emc, that bag is doing everything she can to ruin hnic.

i didn't think she needed any help, what with the nhl and its players already doing their part...

AJ93

May 8, 2002
And to think that we as Canadian tax payers are paying her salary/contract, disgusts me even more.

Chris Cuthbert = best play-by-play guy in the business.

AJ93

May 8, 2002
Heres an article from 2000 when Nancy Lee was hired by CBC.

She needs to go, and fast, in fact, just by reading that article, I am disgusted that she was hired in the first place. How do you hire someone that has no background in the job that you're hiring them to do?

It's like having someone do your taxes that doesn't have basic math skills (and doesn't know how to use a calculator....heh).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->