CBC cuts staff in lieu of NHL cancellation - including Cole's heir apparent Cuthbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Now I have no reason to stay up for the second half of hockey night in Canada anymore. :cry:

:bow: Cuthbert.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Someday maybe the CBC will have to compete on an even footing (read, privatized, not a government money pit) with network television, and specifically televised sports and find themselves so far behind that they'll fold.

Sorry. Dream of mine.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
ScottyBowman said:
People don't appreciate Harry Neale's dry humor.

Well he used to crack me up all the time with that dry humour of his when he was a coach.

Something happened to him though when he became a broadcaster @ the Centre of the Universe..... It's like he sacrificed most of his humour at the Alter of Leaffan Suckup.

Freakin' politics....

:madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

He became: Hairy Kneel.

Or maybe he just got old.

.... and/or dry/er.

:dunno:

Jaysfanatic*

Son of a ***** *******! Not Cuthbert, this is absolutely horrible, **** you CBC!

Jaysfanatic*

TMac21 said:
Now I have no reason to stay up for the second half of hockey night in Canada anymore. :cry:

:bow: Cuthbert.

Absolutely! Remember when CBC tried to get rid of Ron McLean, what kind of tremendous backlash there was....I say we do the same thing for Chris.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Sounds kinda nasty -
By the way, Mark Lee is no relation to Nancy Lee

from todays Globe and Mail

Mr. Cuthbert was scheduled to anchor the CBC's world championship figure-skating coverage from Moscow in a few days, but he will be replaced by Mr. Lee. With Mr. Cuthbert gone, Mr. Lee, the No. 2 football voice, is likely to get the lead job.

Mr. Cuthbert learned of his termination from Mr. Kerr, his agent. Despite working for the CBC for more than 20 years, he didn't get a telephone call from the network.

Ms. Lee said she assumed that's the way he wanted it.

Jaysfanatic*

pepty said:
Sounds kinda nasty -
By the way, Mark Lee is no relation to Nancy Lee

from todays Globe and Mail

Mr. Cuthbert was scheduled to anchor the CBC's world championship figure-skating coverage from Moscow in a few days, but he will be replaced by Mr. Lee. With Mr. Cuthbert gone, Mr. Lee, the No. 2 football voice, is likely to get the lead job.

Mr. Cuthbert learned of his termination from Mr. Kerr, his agent. Despite working for the CBC for more than 20 years, he didn't get a telephone call from the network.

Ms. Lee said she assumed that's the way he wanted it.

I actually emailed CBC with a complaint.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
They're both quality announcers, but I like how Cuthbert calls a game a bit more. Hughson is a bit too stylish for my taste, his catch phrases seem a little forced sometimes.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If this leads to Jim Hughson becoming the heir apparent to Cole, then it's a good thing for everyone...except Canucks fans, I suppose.

If this means Mark Lee becomes the 10pm ET play-by-play announcer, then God help us all.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Just a stupid decision. Cole is obviously the one to go, he can't perform the job any more. Cole is like Messier, too stupid and proud to realise he ought to have hung them up years ago. Don't become a shell of your former self, it tarnishes your reputation.

I agree on the Hughson comments, he would be perfect for the job.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
everyone on this board really is obligated to send in a message to cbc saying you're upset about this if we really want him back

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
bcrt2000 said:
whats CBC Sports' complaint email address?

edit: you can complain here:

http://www.cbc.ca/contact/index.jsp

just select "Complaint" and from the drop down list pick "Hockey Night in Canada"

I honestly think all the people who care on these boards, and I would hope its alot, write in and complain, and demand they bring Cuthbert back. I truly believe that if enough people complain that it would have an impact.

I complained. :D

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Jag68Vlady27 said:
If this leads to Jim Hughson becoming the heir apparent to Cole, then it's a good thing for everyone...except Canucks fans, I suppose.

If this means Mark Lee becomes the 10pm ET play-by-play announcer, then God help us all.

joe bowen would get the HNIC Toronto gig over anyone else once Cole retires.

bowen does all the non HNIC leaf games so it only makes sense

better get used to more holy makinaws

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Isles72 said:

Bowen is under contract with TSN/Sportsnet.

I dont know what his contract says exactly, maybe just the "Maple Leafs". Because if a game is on TSN, he will do it, and if its on Sportsnet, he will do it too.

Could he be under contract with both CBC and the others? I would think so, since there is never two different stations broadcasting a Leafs game.... so for HNIC he could possibly do it.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Isles72 said:

he's pretty colorful - coupled with his sidekick - bohonos to thompson - oh - way wide

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Please, not Bowen. Hes better than most commentators, but is a bit cheesy and biased. I don't mind if local commentators are biased a little, but shouldn't have biased commentators on CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->