CBA statement is in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

Gee Wally said:

Read the links - obviously the players are trying to determine if the owners are really telling the truth - we already know the URO's filed with the league and upon which the Levitt fairy tale was based are not accurate. This was clear when the Team president of the Flyers missed his cue from Chairman Ed Snider who was crying poor and that the Flyers were one of the teams losing money and a reporter got to the team president for a comment before he could square his story with Snider. He admitted that the there were two sets of figures and the internal ones showed that the Fyers were profitable while the URO's would show a loss. he then referred to the internal books as being more accurate. OOOOPS.

Hilarious, the NHL talks about losing $300 million then admits that they have taken $300 million and put it in a war chest to help them fight the NHLPA.

Does anyone but me not see the irony and basic disconnect here.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
Hilarious, the NHL talks about losing $300 million then admits that they have taken $300 million and put it in a war chest to help them fight the NHLPA.

I'd be surprised though if the $300 million put aside has been factored into losses or the NHL would be open to criticism.

Wetcoaster

Chili said:
I'd be surprised though if the $300 million put aside has been factored into losses or the NHL would be open to criticism.

Prepare to be surprised it was not factored in. they just assume the average fan is too dense to beable to make the connection - and they may be correct.

Given the past financial shenanigans of the owners why would you expect anything different?

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
Prepare to be surprised it was not factored in. they just assume the average fan is too dense to beable to make the connection - and they may be correct.

Given the past financial shenanigans of the owners why would you expect anything different?

Guilty until proven innocent?

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Kickabrat said:
Statement from Bill Daly following Thursday, Sept. 2 meeting with NHLPA:

"We have presented six system proposals, any of which would achieve those objectives, while at the same time guaranteeing the players more than 50% of our revenues and maintaining an average player salary of $1.3 million. Those proposals were summarily rejected by Union leadership."

If I remember correctly the league said it was paying 71% of revenues in salaries. So they are asking for a reduction in salaries of over 20% and want any union proposal to meet these objectives. Just don't see it. The NHLPA will not accept a 20% pay cut no matter how its structured.

Is there an NBA board somewhere?

So they will accept a 50% paycut (assuming half the season is lost) or a 100% paycut (assuming the entire season is lost) instead?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I agree with the players, clearly an average salary of 1.3M per year is not enough to support a lifestyle filled with sports cars, luxury mansions and supermodel girlfriends. I really feel for them and I demand owners to stop all this non-sense by doubling the current average salary so that the players don't have to drive '03 Ferraris, don't have to swim in the same swimming pool with their friends and can still buy the whole spring collections of both Gucci and Versace instead of having to force their girlfriends to choose either one.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Chili said:
Like it or not they will have to negotiate with the owners. If their approach is total mistrust, this will be a long, long work stoppage.

That's the thing , it's the OWNER that need to negotiate with the PLAYERS.

Owners : CAP & CAP ONLY
Players : pay-cut 5%, luxury tax, entry draft contract modified.

To me the OWNER are a bunch of liars so I won't cry over their shoulders how they loss their money, you're a bad management, PAY FOR IT.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Dr Love said:
So he's talked to all 700+ members of the NHLPA and Jeremy Roenick is the only person who feels that way? (Which if you think about it isn't all that surprizing if Jeremy Roenick is the only person who agrees with Jeremy Roenick).
If he says otherwise, then it doesn't look like the owners are a united front. Well, from a media standpoint anyways.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Russian Fan said:
That's the thing , it's the OWNER that need to negotiate with the PLAYERS.

The two sides will need to negotiate with each other. It needs to be give and take on both sides, that's collective bargaining.

To me the OWNER are a bunch of liars so I won't cry over their shoulders how they loss their money, you're a bad management, PAY FOR IT.

Someone illustrated this very well on one of the other cba threads. Not ALL owners are to blame for the sharp rise in salaries since 1994, it's more like a handful whose signings have effected all the other teams. This needs to be addressed in any new cba. Otherwise teams will begin to fold and there will be fewer NHL jobs for players.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Wetcoaster said:
Read the links - obviously the players are trying to determine if the owners are really telling the truth - we already know the URO's filed with the league and upon which the Levitt fairy tale was based are not accurate. This was clear when the Team president of the Flyers missed his cue from Chairman Ed Snider who was crying poor and that the Flyers were one of the teams losing money and a reporter got to the team president for a comment before he could square his story with Snider. He admitted that the there were two sets of figures and the internal ones showed that the Fyers were profitable while the URO's would show a loss. he then referred to the internal books as being more accurate. OOOOPS.

Does anyone but me not see the irony and basic disconnect here.

I have the feeling that if an owner were to have such discrepancies in his reporting practices (NHL team plus other holdings), one or two government agencies would be very interested. And it would be fairly public knowledge.

But the problem currently is figuring out what revenues and expenses come soley from the operation of an NHL team. That's made very, very difficult given that most or all owners have multiple businesses and many teams have multiple owners. And many other roadblocks that crop up when trying to determine the finances of large corporations. Trying to sort through all that takes an inordinate amount of time, believe me. I'm not surprised the two sides are stuck if they really are trying to go about it this way. There are better and more efficients ways of using your time to negotiate this deal. I'm kinda ticked that they've choosen such a difficult basis, since the chances are pretty good that little agreement can come from this no matter how much time you take. Especially when other options were available.

Still, most of what they say is still posturing. They're both scared to lose all or part of a season. Both sides know better than us what's at stake for this league, so they are scared. Even great PR spins after an eventual agreement can't undo the damage to a large extent. I'd venture to say less damage would be done by a less-than-optimum CBA for either side. It's the game of chicken that is labor negotiations.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Chili said:
Someone illustrated this very well on one of the other cba threads. Not ALL owners are to blame for the sharp rise in salaries since 1994, it's more like a handful whose signings have effected all the other teams. This needs to be addressed in any new cba. Otherwise teams will begin to fold and there will be fewer NHL jobs for players.

Well to me they are ALL to blame on this, small markets, big markets at one time or another they made a precedent with a contract with one players. So people should stop pointing the usual teams they so like to pointed out & start realizing that every SINGLE NHL teams did something in the past 3-4 years that set something to generate a players climbing salaries.

Randall Graves*

Neither side will be making any money if theres a lockout.

Common sense needs to prevail a lockout will be the end.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Statement from Bill Daly following Thursday, Sept. 2 meeting with NHLPA:

"We have presented six system proposals, any of which would achieve those objectives, while at the same time guaranteeing the players more than 50% of our revenues and maintaining an average player salary of $1.3 million. Those proposals were summarily rejected by Union leadership."

If I remember correctly the league said it was paying 71% of revenues in salaries. So they are asking for a reduction in salaries of over 20% and want any union proposal to meet these objectives. Just don't see it. The NHLPA will not accept a 20% pay cut no matter how its structured.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Meanwhile, Saskin addressed Philadelphia Flyers centre Jeremy Roenick's suggestion of a form of salary cap on individual players within the clubs.

``I just read the press report on it, he wasn't suggesting an overall cap but I guess some individual limits on individual players or some slotting system, I know that it doesn't represent the views of anyone in our membership,'' Saskin said.

So he's talked to all 700+ members of the NHLPA and Jeremy Roenick is the only person who feels that way? (Which if you think about it isn't all that surprizing if Jeremy Roenick is the only person who agrees with Jeremy Roenick).

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
Nope.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Like it or not they will have to negotiate with the owners. If their approach is total mistrust, this will be a long, long work stoppage.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wetcoaster said:

Exactly what I said last night in the chat.

Sorry owners, the NHLPA has just called your bluff. Time to give it up. If the owners were right, I think you would/will see the NHLPA make some concessions.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kickabrat said:

I wonder what David Stern is doing right now. It wouldn't hurt to get him and Brian Burke into the room

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dr Love said:
Probably meeting with And 1 representatives about a NBA Mix Tape tour.

Maybe ESPN can get in with camera and start their own NHL Street Fight show...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->