CBA Proposal: New Take on Luxury Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
Sorry, this is all about insuring that Chris Pronger and Bill Guerin continue getting paid $10 million a year and leaving the door open for them, and players like them, to get paid even more, no matter what financial shape the league is in.

No, because this isn't a strike it's a lockout.

The OWNERS have a problem, the OWNERS locked out, the OWNERS want more money.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:
If I'm the Panthers, I know that my current revenue is now enough to compete with big market teams on the ice. Because of the ability to compete with big markets my fan support and intrest increase automatically.

I keep hearing this but it doesn't seem as cut and dry to me as many others.
There are still going to be top contending teams and bottom feeders like there are now.There wont be 30 equal teams on the ice,in the books yes but where it counts to fans no.So unless a team is currently in a viable hockey market nothing will change.The most common rebuttal is that these small market teams will be able to afford there stars and wont have to trade them.Which is wrong.A hard cap means each team will only be able to afford so many stars.You may enjoy temporary success but nothing long lasting.And it makes me wonder how many current Islander,Penguin or Oiler fans became hardcore fans when these cities had powerful championship teams that were serious contenders and/or champions for many years.I doubt you'll see that anymore with a hard cap.And its that exact same type of success that some current NHL locations need to develope that solid longterm fan base.

Lanny MacDonald*

nyr7andcounting said:
No, because this isn't a strike it's a lockout.

The OWNERS have a problem, the OWNERS locked out, the OWNERS want more money.

There are two sides to every issue. My post was in answer to the inane babbling of Demented Reality and some cheesy accusation about the whole thing being about making a profit for a corporation. That is as true as my statement. There are issues on both sides of the fence and it is impossible to generalize them all into one sentence. Those that try are doing the issue an injustice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->