Cayouche's mock draft part 1 - 15

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Cayouche's 2007 Annual Mock Draft
'' First of all, I must say that I know that it's not everyone that will be satisfied with all the picks, and that's ok. It's only my humble opinion of how the 2007 draft will end up going. So no need to tell me I'm a moron because you don't like your team picks, however i'm not perfect and i could have made some mistakes and i'll gladly take the critics, so flame away.''

1. Chicago Blackhawks : Patrick Kane, RW, London (OHL)
Seems to be de concensus pick at this point, Tallon said he will consider Kane, and unless he deal the pick, wich I don't think he will, I think they'll draft the London superstar. Can't wait to see him paired with Toews.

2. Philadelphia Flyers : James vanRiemsdyk, LW, U.S. National U-18
Not my favorite players of this draft, but I can't deny is abilities and Holmgren either, he has it all, size, speed, scoring touch. After an abysmal year in Balboa's town, a pick like that should put a smile on their fans face.

3. Phoenix Coyotes : Jakub Voracek, RW, Halifax (QMJHL)
I saw this kid play live many times (season + playoff) and if it wasn't of Kane extraordinary offensive abilities, I can't see why Voracek couldn't be the #1 overall pick, like I read somewhere before, he reminds me so much of Marian Hossa, that Phoenix can't pass on him. Gretzky will love to coach this kid. Another do it all player.

4. Los Angeles Kings : Kyle Turris, C, Burnaby (BCHL)
They may have arguably the best defene prospect in the world in Jack Jonhson, they need help in their D prospect pool. But a this point, I do not think Ellerby is good enough to be pick 4th and Alzner is somewhat of a safe pick, superb shut down guy but I beleive his upside is not high enough. So what I think LA will do, they'll trade down a bit to take Alzner or Ellerby or the best choice if you ask me, they'll tak the BPA, the player who I think could be the best player out of this draft for the next 20years, Kyle Turris, I saw him play ( against weaker competition ) and i saw a bit of Sakic or Yzerman in him. I'd be thrill to have him in my team if I was a GM.

5. Washington Capitals : Sam Gagner, C, London (OHL)
A bit of a suprise here, Gagner rising into the top 5. No one can question his playmaking abilities Adam Oates'esque. Cherepanov may have a higher upside, Couture and Alzner may be safer, Esposito Sexier but they will go with who I think is the best passer at this point, the son of Dave, Sam Gagner. Could be a great battle for the #1 center with Backstrom, or imagine a #1 line of Backtrom and Ovechkin, with a #2 line of Gagner and Semin...

6. Edmonton Oilers : Zach Hamill, C, Everett (WHL)
Some say he's undersized, some say he's slow, some say he won the scoring title because he played with former and future 1rst rounder like Mueller and Beach, however what I say is that he will be a top notch player in the NHL someday and with 3 picks picks, Edmonton can afford to take a somewhat of a gamble with this kid.

7. Columbus Blue Jackets : Alexei Cherepanov, RW, Omsk (Russia)
Columbus do not like the experience of Nikolai Zherdev, so much talent but born wihtout any heart. And because Cherepanov is a kid from russia who dominated the WJC just like Zherdev did alog with michalek in hs draft year, they say he will end up just like him did. I'm not in this group. I think if we think only talent, Cheepanov could be a TOP5 pick, but with the Russia tranfer agreement, he could fall a bit. Talent is what Columbus need, you can't teach things like that.

8. Boston Bruins : Angelo Esposito, C, Quebec (QMJHL)
Boston with another steal ? After Bergeron and Kessel, I could see them stealing Esposito who would not have pass the 12th pick (Habs). Eeven if they already have the two named before + savard at center, you can never know what will be your roster in 5years, when esposito will start to dominate, so they'll take who I Think is the BPA at this time.

9. St-Louis Blues : Keaton Ellerby, D, Kamloops (WHL)
They can't beleive their eyes that Alzner ( considered the best D prospect) is still available. ON the other hand there is a guy who is bigger and sexier than Alzner, Ellerby. It's risky to pass on Alzner to take Keaton but imagine if he end up into a volume 0.5 of Pronger paired with E.Jonhson, can you say Pronger-MaCinnis v.2 ?

10. Florida Panthers : Logan Couture, C, Ottawa (OHL)
Again another team who think of drafting Alzner, but they also think that the 69er player, couture, could have have a wayyyyy better season if it wasn't of if illness and injuries that slow him down for a good part of the season, this kid knows how to play hockey and way better than people think if you ask me, he is the BPA available at this point.

11. Carolina Hurricanes : Lars Eller, W, Frolunda Jr. (Sweden Jr.)
In my book, Carolina made an error when they traded J.Johson, they also made an error when they drafted Andrew Ladd (still a good player anyway) and with Brind'amour not getting any younger, they go with the HomeRun pick, one of the best rookies in his sweden league, Lars Eller.Could be a suprise.

12. Montreal Canadiens : Karl Alzner, D, Calgary (WHL)
With players like Kostitsyn (X2), Higgins, Grabovsky, Latendresse and Price in net, what they need is defense, they don't care that Alzner is a safe shutdown guy, that's what they need, and they run all the way to the stage to call his name. Could be scrary in a few years with Komisarek, O'byrne, Fischer (last year 1rst round pick) and A.Markov.

13. Toronto Maple Leafs : Mikael Backlund, C, Vasteras (Sweden-2)
It will be a sad day when Sundin will left the building for the last time in the Air Canada Center, however Backlund could be somewhat of a replacement in the next dew years, not because he's a swede, that's not the point, but because he has all the tools to be a #1 center in the league.

14. Colorado Avalanche : Ryan McDonagh, D, Cretin-Derham High (Minn.) (U.S. high school)
I think that Colorado would have draft Backlund, but with him drafted, I think they'll take the 3rd defenseman in this draft, McDonagh. Named Mr.Hockey ( If I'm not mistaken) he should be a good one in Denver for the next 10-15 years, not by is playing style but by theeffect he could have on the team, I'd compare him to Adam Foote. Never a #1 on the team, but as important.

15. Edmonton Oilers : Nicholas Petrecki, D, Omaha (USHL)
Montreal wanted this monster, but hey didn't know Alzner would have been available. Edmonton won't pass on him, Big strong, can skate, can shoot, looks shaky at time from what i've seen, but has all the tools to become a good player.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This is a very good mock, even if it seems like Alzner and Hamill are reversed. Backlund to the Leafs is solid.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
If the Habs can steal Alzner at #12, that would be great, but I think we'd need to trade up to get him.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I like how you spiced things up a bit. Every year something wierd happens, and all the other mock drafts are pretty much carbon copies of each other w/ the exception of a couple of spots.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
I also think the Oilers won't pass on Alzner. They've raved a lot about this kid. He is the most NHL ready and that's what we need. We also need a stud defencemen.

I really like your mock though. I like your reasoning for Gagner especially. How sexy would those 2 lines be :bow:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad