Catalog of Best Goalie Masks in NHL History

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I remember an article from an early 1960s hockey magazine. It was about Ed Chadwick, who was now stuck in the minors, but hoping for another NHL chance.

A photo caption said that Chadwick would now be wearing a mask, but the photo was peculiar: the mask that he was holding up and posing with looked like some thin plastic Halloween thing with a clown-like grimace. It was as if Chadwick forgot his proper mask and the photographer grabbed this one as a prop.

See if you can find that one!

Thats interesting as he was one of my Goalie Coaches way way back in the day. I remember him briefly playing for the Bruins early 60's (only played a handful of games, no mask of course) but didnt see him in the 50's when he played 140 consecutive games for the Leafs, taking over from Harry Lumley. He retired in 68, lengthy career spent mostly in the minors so I'm guessin this picture of which you speak must have been from 66/67/68, late in his career with the Buffalo Bisons. Maybe a Bisons Program? I tried googling it but no luck..... Unfortunately I only have vague/hazy recollections of Ed as a Goalie Coach though I do still have a "Report Card" that he gave me, telling me to "keep on my feet" & so on, breaking down my game, observations, helpful hints & tips etc. After he retired he went on to Scouting & Goalie Coaching, worked with, instrumental in Chico Resch's development amongst others. Eventually joined Edmonton around 81 as a Scout, collecting 5 SC Rings, name engraved on the Cup in 3 of those wins... certainly more than earned it & deserving of it. Dedicated his life to the game & its players.

Reactions: Tarantula

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
The article that I (vaguely) remember was more likely 1962 or 1963 or a year or so later. It noted that Chadwick had a bad record for the 1961-62 Bruins, but that their other goalies, Bruce Gamble and Don Head weren't much better, which turns out to be true enough.

The photograph was quite striking: Chadwick is holding up a mask at the level of his own face, and his expression is quite glum. As for the mask, maybe the minor league arena was also a playhouse, with the traditional symbols for Comedy and Tragedy an the wall, and they just borrowed the latter to represent a goalie mask.

Must have been Hockey Illustrated or Hockey Pictorial.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
A couple from Dan Bouchard

2abd9a7050c40c64f8c623d89cf61b35.jpg

bouchard.jpg

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Ed Staniowksi
staniowski.jpg

60934dad5e36f90f284d301617504ada.png

Ed Staniowski; now he was a bit of a flash in the pan, brilliance wise. 1975-76 playoffs he made life difficult for The Sabres in a three game series. Buffalo won 2 games to 1, but Ed kept the 72 point Blues in the series with the 105 point Sabres.

He did play for a good 10 or 11 seasons, but was mostly mediocre with St. Louis, Winnipeg, and Hartford I believe.

After retiring from hockey, he served in the Canadian Forces ,reaching the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the primary reserve.

As Grapes would say; "what a guy!"

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
sorry if this has been posted earlier.... but what the hell is this?

1st time Ive seen that and ya, talk about beyond bizarre. I guess he's basically just trying to protect his teeth (possible injury, so thats why he's wearing it? - appears to have been designed by an early 19th Century Orthodontist, former Trainer & Equipment Manager, Cutler to the University of Linkoping's Fencing Team) .... and rather than wearing a mouth guard, which is tough to talk with, cant communicate properly with his Defenceman & Forwards went with that Steampunk contraption.... however.... if he did take a puck, stick, butt end or whatever to the mouth I cant see it providing any protection... Thats just nuts. Why bother at all?... And whats with the Helmet?..... IIHF Rule?... Crazy... like Kamikaze Pilots.... if your a Kamikaze Pilot why would you need, bother with a helmet?.... Same sort of thing with that guys helmet & Hercule Poirot Mustache Mask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Yake

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
1st time Ive seen that and ya, talk about beyond bizarre. I guess he's basically just trying to protect his teeth (possible injury, so thats why he's wearing it? - appears to have been designed by an early 19th Century Orthodontist, former Trainer & Equipment Manager, Cutler to the University of Linkoping's Fencing Team) .... and rather than wearing a mouth guard, which is tough to talk with, cant communicate properly with his Defenceman & Forwards went with that Steampunk contraption.... however.... if he did take a puck, stick, butt end or whatever to the mouth I cant see it providing any protection... Thats just nuts. Why bother at all?... And whats with the Helmet?..... IIHF Rule?... Crazy... like Kamikaze Pilots.... if your a Kamikaze Pilot why would you need, bother with a helmet?.... Same sort of thing with that guys Mustache Mask.

if i remember correctly, '72 was the first year the IIHF made head protection mandatory for goalies

so that likely explains the helmet

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
if i remember correctly, '72 was the first year the IIHF made head protection mandatory for goalies

so that likely explains the helmet

Ive seen a few pictures of goalies wearing helmets, no masks, and yes, find it strange.... This guy however, he kicked "strange" up a few notches. Points for creativity, experimentation.... only thing I can figure is that he must have been recovering from a previous injury, dental work.... broken nose perhaps. :dunno:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wayne Stephenson...

Wayne Stephenson's "Pretzel Mask" is a strange one as its unlike the ones worn by Plante, Dryden & others, quite an unusual configuration, its origins, who made it exactly a mystery still to this day & discussed on goalie mask chat boards elsewhere. Some claiming its metal painted to look like its fiberglass, its whereabouts unknown so like I said, "mystery mask".

Stephenson as your probably aware didnt crack the NHL until the age of 27 having played for the Canadian National Team from 68 on, Senior Hockey, signing with the Blues in 71/72, using that Pretzel mask throughout his amateur career & with St.Louis. Traded to Philly where he backed up Parent, part of the 75 Cup winning team, and when the following year Parent went down with injuries was outstanding though the Flyers did not three-peat of course, famous Canadiens series....

Stephenson by then had discarded the Pretzel mask & wore the full fiberglass model you posted above for a couple of years then switched to another model, again full fiberglass with a neck guard.... then traded to Washington for a 3rd Round Draft Pick & quickly became a fan favorite, nicknamed "Fort Wayne" and "Our Stevie Wonder" when he nearly lead them to finally a respectable showing & playoff berth. His Caps' masks becoming rather iconic.....

Unfortunately he died rather young at 65 in 2010, cause never released.... and as a further postscript.... the player the Flyers selected in receiving the 3rd Round Pick from Washington for Stephenson was a guy by the name of Barry "Hawk" Tabobundung, Ojibwa, from Bobby Orr's hometown of Parry Sound & who like Orr also played his Junior with Oshawa (18G/59A & 320PIM in his one season there). Tabobundung a Winger, real speedster, edgy & gritty, seriously pugnacious who wouldnt back down from anyone, decent stickhandler with soft hands, excellent all-round athlete, definitely Flyers material. Unfortunately injuries kept him back, spent his pro career in the minors, AHL, IHL, ACHL & ECHL.... he too died young, late 30's or early 40's saving his Sons' life who had fallen in front of a road grader.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
2lnwqbn.jpg

Not from the National Hockey League, but from the Swiss team Lausanne HC (2000-01 season). No idea whats his name.

Would have to a little research to find out for sure who it is pictured, but the mask cage is the Streit one.
Questions about this mask by different people show up every so often in the Goaliestore forum.
what kind of cage is this ????? - Goalie Store Bulletin Board

Here is where it is mentioned on the 'Hockey Blog in Canada' a couple years ago:
Hockey Blog In Canada: Unsafe Safety Equipment?

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->