Catalog of Best Goalie Masks in NHL History

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ That is one very weird looking mask (Kiely's) & must be a one-off home-made jobbie or possibly a custom mask thats then been seriously altered..... That Goalie was a star of the Vermont Catamounts of NCAA Div II winning a Championship or 2, same alma mater as Martin St. Louis years later. Kiely in Vermonts HOF. Saw very limited WHA action. Fairly big guy for the era.

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
plr273x1.jpg
ed-staniowski-331of-the-winnipeg-jets-prepares-for-a-shot-against-the-picture-id462469120

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
My favourites include Maniago's circa 1972, Doug Favell's as a Leaf, and Bernie Parent's as a Philadelphia Blazer in the WHA. I went to a sports memorabilia show at the Toronto International Centre around 2004 and there was a guy who was selling DVDs of awesome, rare footage and one was of WHA stuff that (among other things) featured Parent in a Blazers uniform. He said that this was the only footage (to his knowledge) of Parent in the WHA complete with distinctive mask and he got the original film can from a daughter of one of the original WHA executives and that the film had been apparently been sitting in a closet and left alone for many years.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Not NHL but Finninsh fashion from around 1973-1974.... Jorma Valtonen has probably the creepiest mask of all-time.
bddd3b88a83f.jpg

1, Hannu Siivonen Lukko
2. Urpo Ylönen TuTo
3. Leo Seppänen Koovee
4. Jorma Valtonen Jokerit
5. Antti Leppänen Tappara
6. Stig Wetzell HIFK

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wow! Jorma. Nailed that Hannibal Lecter look. 19th century insane asylum steam punk scary. :scared:

... ja... ja.... very interesting collection Sanf.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Legend has it that Gerry Cheevers was the first to decorate his mask, Bostons' trainer adding stitch markes where the puck had impacted starting in 67/68.....

The only problem with this "legend" is that every photograph of Gerry Cheevers depicts the mask full of stitches. If it actually happened as the legend suggests, there would be photos of the mask with one or two stitch marks and large sections of the mask totally white as it gradually filled up. Instead, we only ever see the mask fully covered with stitches which seems to indicate this legend is false.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The only problem with this "legend" is that every photograph of Gerry Cheevers depicts the mask full of stitches. If it actually happened as the legend suggests, there would be photos of the mask with one or two stitch marks and large sections of the mask totally white as it gradually filled up. Instead, we only ever see the mask fully covered with stitches which seems to indicate this legend is false.

Have you done a pictorial, close up's or as close as you can find photographic study of Cheevers mask from 66/67 through 67/68, 68/69 & so on Ferris? Need to really look at it to see how much embellishment or are we talking real stitches Cheesy would have received had he not been wearing it & even then, cant be sure.... Not sure why you'd have a problem with the story thats oft repeated about the Bruins Trainer adding stitches to the mask though whats not clear is did whomever add fake puck marks & stitches all at once or were the stitches only added after Cheevers took a puck to the face? No idea on that one. But guessing. I'm guessing embellishment, all done at one time then probably added to here n' there, touched up over the years. To imagine that all of those puck marks & stitch counts are real beggars belief so no, not buying that. Maybe thats what you mean by "legend"?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Have you done a pictorial, close up's or as close as you can find photographic study of Cheevers mask from 66/67 through 67/68, 68/69 & so on Ferris? Need to really look at it to see how much embellishment or are we talking real stitches Cheesy would have received had he not been wearing it & even then, cant be sure.... Not sure why you'd have a problem with the story thats oft repeated about the Bruins Trainer adding stitches to the mask though whats not clear is did whomever add fake puck marks & stitches all at once or were the stitches only added after Cheevers took a puck to the face? No idea on that one. But guessing. I'm guessing embellishment, all done at one time then probably added to here n' there, touched up over the years. To imagine that all of those puck marks & stitch counts are real beggars belief so no, not buying that. Maybe thats what you mean by "legend"?

Find me a single picture where the mask isn't full of stitches. Where are the photos with one stitch, five stitches, ten stitches? Even twenty? They don't exist.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
After a few years, Cheevers learned that stopping all those pucks with his head wasn't such a good idea, so he began to use his glove and his stick more often.

;)

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I did bit of research. Apparently Cheevers changed mask in late november 1969. Now this new mask was already full of stiches in late January 1970. So it would indicate that that mask was painted just for the sake of it. So the most famous pictures about the mask could be painted with "fake" stiches.

But the mask from 1966?-1969. Really hard to find pictures of it. Couple of poor quality videos which looks like that there might be increase of some sort of marks :). In late november he mentioned that the mask had 150 dents... Yeah probably not, but I believe that this was the mask in question... Interesting trivia. Sadly I don´t have time to do more research.

fc0ac9bcdcf69a0f797e2b43dc88cf4c.jpg

or maybe it was this one? I actually don´t know.
earlycheevers.jpg

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
But the mask from 1966?-1969. Really hard to find pictures of it. Couple of poor quality videos which looks like that there might be increase of some sort of marks :). In late november he mentioned that the mask had 150 dents... Yeah probably not, but I believe that this was the mask in question... Interesting trivia. Sadly I don´t have time to do more research.....or maybe it was this one? I actually don´t know.

Nice work Sanf. Its' my understanding based on various anecdotal tellings of the tale of Cheevers mask was/is that yes, he was the first to decorate his facepiece (stitches) and that this was done in 68 or 69 at the latest. Top picture is a Lefty (Detroits Trainer who made masks on the side & widely used) Wilson mask that Cheevers wore for at least a couple of seasons but didnt like it because he had trouble finding the puck at his feet & secondly; the mask floated on the chin resulting in the mask moving around a bit.

A local Massachusetts maskmaker, the now famous Ernie Higgins, a Plumber who's son played goal & who Ernie made his first masks for approached Cheevers & Eddie Johnston, had a new design that did anchor the mask to the chin, thicker, safer than the Wilson model, only problem was that again Cheevers couldnt find the puck at his feet with it so..... he had Higgins file out the eye-holes, something then copied by goalies far & wide.
The story goes (68 or 9), and Cheevers a notorious shirker when it came to practices got hit with a puck in the face during a practice that actually knocked him out momentarily, and depending on what version, who's telling the story, Cheevers either "woke up on the trainers table" or "managed to skate off the ice under his own power". Harry Sinden, then Coach of the Bruins as most are aware tears into the dressing room & then into Cheevers for "faking it to get out of practice", Cheesy protesting, "for real, coulda been cut wide open, knocked me out".... Sinden not buying it, orders him back out there immediately.

So.... the Trainer Frosty Forrestal, witness to all this and looking at the Lefty Wilson mask with the puck divit above one of the eyes tells Cheevers "had you not been wearing the mask, that looks like about 8-12 stitiches" (or whatever) and as was Cheevers with his love of the sardonic / gallows humor.... tells Frosty there to mark them onto the mask so he can show it, prove it to Sinden "not lyin Boss. See here"?.... Well, needless to say Cheevers teammates thought this all pretty hysterical, showing up back on the ice again with a fake cut & stitches above an eye on his mask and Gerry enjoying the laugh himself forever thereafter had Frosty add stitch marks to the mask whenever he got hit by a puck or a stick in the face.

Now, when he started wearing the new Ernie Higgins mask, retiring the Lefty Wilson mask, the Higgins mask came in plain white & Cheevers didnt like that (he said he felt it made him look "pure" & he was anything but a "pure-clean" player, indeed, regular Lumberjack with his stick at times, very nasty, aggressive), did like the whole "stitches joke" and markings on his Lefty Wilson mask, so he obviously had Frosty Forrestal eyeball the old Wilson mask & by hand add the old puck marks & stitches, then touching it up, adding even more as time went on. So some stitch marks for real, more that werent. Regardless, iconic, all started as a joke.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
That seen to be correct. Got too curious and did more research. It seem that everytime he changed the mask the old marks were tried to replicate to the new. Sure there was probably some artistic freedom in there. I found article that they would have done this from 1965, but there can be always bit of color pen in these...

I think it´s good to challenge this stories sometimes. I had never given thought for this. Assumed it was true because "everybody says so".

February 23, 1968
The Roselle Register
..Cheevers is wearing a mask or the first time this season and every time he is struck on it, he marks the spot. “I figure it has saved me at least 14 stitches so far,” he said....

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
February 23, 1968
The Roselle Register
..Cheevers is wearing a mask or the first time this season and every time he is struck on it, he marks the spot. “I figure it has saved me at least 14 stitches so far,” he said....

Yeah. There we go. Nailed it. Nice find Sanf.... Its my understanding he only wore 2 masks throughout his career. 1st was the Left Wilson model; 2nd the now iconic Ernie Higgins model which he apparently gave to his Grandson after he'd retired and which hung on his bedroom wall for a number of years. The earlier Higgins model donated to one of the Sports or Hockey Hall's of Fame in the States.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Aug 12, 2002
Neat thread! I really like the Gilles Gratton tiger mask!!! I read a bit on him, wow sounds like he was quite a character! Too bad he quit at age 24.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah. There we go. Nailed it. Nice find Sanf.... Its my understanding he only wore 2 masks throughout his career. 1st was the Left Wilson model; 2nd the now iconic Ernie Higgins model which he apparently gave to his Grandson after he'd retired and which hung on his bedroom wall for a number of years. The earlier Higgins model donated to one of the Sports or Hockey Hall's of Fame in the States.

There must be more than two because the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto has one.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
There must be more than two because the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto has one.

Where are you getting that from?.... If they have a Cheevers mask its not the famous one he used throughout his career. Its either replica or possibly a practice mask. The original game used he gave to his daughter to be given to his grandson & its been kept in the family ever since despite a number of lucrative offers from collectors & hall's of fame over the years..... So unless Ive totally missed it, a story, report that Gerrys Grandson either sold it or donated it to the HHOF..... maybe he "lent it to the HHOF" for a brief period, special exhibition?... not that I'm aware of..... He only played with 2 masks, one very briefly as outlined earlier then the famous mask with the stitches which for years lived on the bedroom wall of his grandsons bedroom in Florida..... So...... Ferris..... I look forward to seeing your sources with links that this mask now resides in the HHOF in Toronto on permanent display.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Where are you getting that from?.... If they have a Cheevers mask its not the famous one he used throughout his career. Its either replica or possibly a practice mask. The original game used he gave to his daughter to be given to his grandson & its been kept in the family ever since despite a number of lucrative offers from collectors & hall's of fame over the years..... So unless Ive totally missed it, a story, report that Gerrys Grandson either sold it or donated it to the HHOF..... maybe he "lent it to the HHOF" for a brief period, special exhibition?... not that I'm aware of..... He only played with 2 masks, one very briefly as outlined earlier then the famous mask with the stitches which for years lived on the bedroom wall of his grandsons bedroom in Florida..... So...... Ferris..... I look forward to seeing your sources with links that this mask now resides in the HHOF in Toronto on permanent display.

I worked there for over a decade and the Hall of Fame does not have any replica masks, equipment or jerseys in their collection.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->