Catalog of Best Goalie Masks in NHL History

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
.... :laugh: ok.... I guess .... are ye' of Celtic descent Chief9?.... fear of the Green Man perhaps? :dunno:

Lol nope! I was just in Ireland last July, so no fear of the green here! That mask just struck me as very eerie looking I guess hahahaha

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Prior to the mask there was the hat as worn by Andy Aitkenhead of the New York Rangers pictured below during a game against the Montreal Canadiens (1932-35 ca). Also below, a picture of Andy as a member of the Portland Buckaroos.

aitkenhead.jpg

andrewaitkenhead.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Of course, weve seen guys (goalies & forwards) wearing toque's & peaked baseball type caps... but this, this a first.... a "newsboys" hat, that there is absolutely "streetwear".... too much. :laugh:

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Markus Mattson got in two games as a member of the 1982-1983 Minnesota North Stars. His mask was from the North Stars Central League affiliate, the Birmingham South Stars.

View attachment 97937

Actually he debuted with North Stars in Summit Series game against Soviet Union. That game brought him back to NHL.

First ever Euro goalie drafted to NHL. In big picture his career in NA wasn´t huge success, but I always have had huge respect for "Kimi" because he didn´t leave there the first or the second time he was sent to minors. 7 year career in NA with some nice moments. He is now quite wealthy man making his family business a success.

I believe that the mask he wore was always the same.

Here in 1976 Canada Cup with Ilves logo.
markus-mattsson-of-team-finland-guards-the-goal-against-team-canada-picture-id159242372

And here with Kings
cut.jpg

And back to Finland... now with local rival Tappara.
21945kl.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... now theres a character.... Seaweed... so named as he had mop of stringy hair.... only played about 20/21 NHL games as a Backup but did manage to rack-up 17PIM's, feisty to say the least having clocked up 145 with the Dayton Gems' of the IHL one year... Real piece of work.... When author George Plimpton wrote his book Open Net; A Professional Amateur in the World of Big-Time Hockey he roomed with, hung out, took tips, coached by Pettie & as a result is mentioned fairly frequently throughout.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
... now theres a character.... Seaweed... so named as he had mop of stringy hair.... only played about 20/21 NHL games as a Backup but did manage to rack-up 17PIM's, feisty to say the least having clocked up 145 with the Dayton Gems' of the IHL one year... Real piece of work.... When author George Plimpton wrote his book Open Net; A Professional Amateur in the World of Big-Time Hockey he roomed with, hung out, took tips, coached by Pettie & as a result is mentioned fairly frequently throughout.

Here he goes after Garry Howatt:

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Jim Rutherford

tumblr_ljkzkvBVdV1qhqxuso1_1280.jpg

Yep, good ol' Jimmy, one of my old Goalie Coaches.... That was done (the Wings added) in 76 I believe, one of the 1st with actual graphics applied though not the first to be painted per se'... that date backs to Philly, a Halloween joke, mask painted orange, and Rutherfords also a joke, he didnt ask for it, a friend of his taking liberties, applying them without permission. Jimmy there no choice but to wear it as no replacement, and so, it stuck. Warmed up to it...... Ed Giacomin who shared the crease with Rutherford in Detroit & also in 76 took it a step further, monetized his mask having signed a sponsorship deal with a spark plug manufacturer, and very similar to Jims mask but instead with stylized lightning bolts. The NHL none too happy about it either. Eddie initially wanting to go full on with the companies logo & so on. Had to cut it back. From a distance, hard to tell the difference from Rutherfords mask.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Gary Innes... name-photo I havent heard/seen in years. Interesting guy, career. Never played Major Jr.A but did play play Jr.B for the Weston Dodgers, then attended McMaster University in Hamilton where he also played, CIAU for several seasons before transferring to the University of Toronto where he finished up his degree's in History & Phys Ed....

One of the very few players Scouted from the Canadian University ranks... in his case by Rudy Migay who worked for Pittsburgh starting in 67, Migay a former alumni of St. Mikes & the Leafs through the late 40's, 50's; 5'6" 150lbs soppin wet, nicknamed "The Toy Terrier" & a terrific player, eventually joining Buffalo as a Scout, hired by Bowman in 79 or so spending 10yrs with the Sabers... anyhoo, Innes given a Tryout by the Penguins, signed, sent to Hershey, played well, called up.... The Pens' a mess on the ice & in the ownership suite, 1st Bankruptcy happens, things pretty much topsy turvy....

Innes moves on, briefly backs up Parent in Philly, jumps to WHA, returns to the NHL, Washington & has some outstanding games as a Cap, quickly becoming a fan favorite, nicknamed The Man with the Golden Glove..... Carved out a decent career considering from how far back in the pack he'd come, something thats really not all the unusual with a number of Goalies over the years. Their perseverance paying off, taking roads less traveled, always interesting (to me at least) to see just how far back of the pack (from Tim Thomas to an Ernie Wakely etc) some do come from before arriving in the NHL.... As for Innes, hung em up early 80's, went on to become a High School Teacher in Barrie Ontario I believe....

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Have to love the Dan Bouchard Flames mask. The most underrated of all-time IMO.

... uh oh.... dont tell me you collect game used or replica masks as well Boxscore...... like this guy... www.gameusedmasks.com/masks.html ... Dan Bouchard (more photos & inf on his masks in that link) interestingly started making his own masks at the age of 18 & I believe that was the last molded mask he wore, retiring it, going with the helmet-cage combo when he arrived in Calgary with the Flames.... his stay in Cowtown brief however, a dozen or so games before being traded to Quebec.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
... uh oh.... dont tell me you collect game used or replica masks as well Boxscore......

I absolutely do.

Yep, Bouchard was big on designing his own masks. I believe the mask in the picture above, he took the design of a little kid who was his neighbor.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I absolutely do.

Yep, Bouchard was big on designing his own masks. I believe the mask in the picture above, he took the design of a little kid who was his neighbor.

Quite correct, as noted in the link... see Dan Bouchard in the menu bar.

Reactions: Boxscore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->