Cat to the table: Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I was wondering when I was going to see one of these poll's given Laine's recent hot streak. I'm very high on Laine and think he's going to lead the league in goals (and maybe even points) multiple times. The guy is Ovechkin in the making and a legit superstar already. But there is zero chance I would ever take him over Matthews on my team. It's the same debate with Crosby vs Ovechkin that has been ongoing for years. Like Crosby, there's just so much more that Matthews brings to the game when he's not scoring. There's nothing more valuable than an elite #1C in today's game. Matthews and Crosby both hem the opposition in their own zone with a grinding style of play while at the same time playing solid D. Come playoff time where time and space are harder to come by, that style of play is even more crucial to winning games.

Reactions: Elf and Kelly

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, you clearly don't watch the NHL. Check his stats pre-injury through the first 15 games and then the following until game 30ish when he got injured again.
I.e only pick his hot streak lol

No one plays 100% throughout the season, thats why actually getting to 100P is a huge deal.

The fact that Mcdavid can play with the flu and lose 10+lb and maintain over ppg status means Matthews has no excuse. Even in his rookie year he went like 10+? Games without a point. Can't give him the benefit of the doubt when he hasn't been consistent.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Yeah, you clearly don't watch the NHL. Check his stats pre-injury through the first 15 games and then the following until game 30ish when he got injured again.

Lol, just because Matthews started out hot doesn’t mean he’s gonna score 100 Points, I mean take this with a grain of salt but Ovechkin was on pace for 280 goals at the start of the season too... When your on pace for somewhere in sample sized games it doesn’t mean much. Clearly Matthews isn’t a 100 Point player or atleast yet because he’s not even at a point per game today.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Used to be more of a Laine fan but the more I watch the more I like Matthews

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
If Babcock wanted to he could put Marner or JVR on Matthews line, however both are playing well with the lines they are currently on.
Marner with 2 season's of 19 goals as a D+3athlete may not be the goal scorer you are looking for. Not sure if he would be an upgrade on Nylander.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I’ll always say what Matthews did is more impressive. Matthews went to a last place team that no one gave a chance. Winnipeg was lucky to get laine as they were an underachieving team that had a lot of talent before laine.

I think both players are amazing but having that #1 stud Center is why I want Matthews more.

Last edited:

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Ok I'll play along if you are sure you want to use small sample size. Laine has scored 15 goals in the last 11 games. So let's compare your Matthews potential 100 point season to Laine's potential 112 goal season.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
The data shows that Laine doesn't know how to skate with his head up, which led to his concussion last season.
So if something only has to happen once for the data to show it is proven. What does this say about Matthews 3 injuries this season.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
There should be at least seven or eight players who hit the 90 point mark this season. We'll see about next season.
Regardless their were 5 people with at least 50 goal seasons. No way their are 5 players score 50 or more goals this season or next.
Goal scoring was higher a decade ago than it is now so to compare Ovi to Laine by absolute goals. Similar as how it isn't fair to compare McDavid to Crosby in absolute points.
Same points come up when Ovi is compared to goal scorers in the 1980's and why many records likely won't be touched in the near future.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Laine has been on a great streak of goal scoring of late but let's not get silly here. That said, I would kill to have Laine on the Leafs. It would be offensive overkill but who cares!?

Reactions: Kelly

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When Leafs fans brought up those Matthews projections prior to his injuries was no different than what was said about Laine's production last season following his concussion.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
How many times does Matthews have to beat Laine, before the Laine mega-fans understand? Matthews went 1st overall. Laine 2nd. Matthews scored 40 as a rookie. Laine scored 36. Matthews won the Calder. Laine didn't win anything. Matthews wins all these polls. Laine does not.

Laine is an amazing young player. Congrats on that. But Matthews wins. Okay? Deal with it.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
How many times does Matthews have to beat Laine, before the Laine mega-fans understand? Matthews went 1st overall. Laine 2nd. Matthews scored 40 as a rookie. Laine scored 36. Matthews won the Calder. Laine didn't win anything. Matthews wins all these polls. Laine does not.

Laine is an amazing young player. Congrats on that. But Matthews wins. Okay? Deal with it.

Um Laine is tied with Ovie for the Rocket though... This isn’t a pagent show of who is known more it’s who is better and currently it’s Laine. Stats say it and his performance says it. Just because 73 Leaf fans say otherwise it doesn’t change the performance and outcome of who in reality is better.

Here are some examples of why the depiction of Laine vs Matthews is all in Leaf fans hands..

Laine gets injured for 9 games:

Leafs fan: “he’s clearly injury prone, Matthews is clearly better”

Matthews gets injured for 16:

Leafs fans: “It’s a horrible time for you to compare the two, but Matthews is still better”

Laine pace is on pace for 3 more Points than Matthews with less Games Played(9 less):

Leafs fans: “it’s sample size, he wouldn’t have as many points”

Matthews is on pace for 1 more point(less goals per game though) with less Games Played(16):

Leafs fans: “Matthews would have more points right now and maybe goals too”

Laine has more Points and Goals:

Leafs fans: “It’s only for now”

Matthews has more Points and Goals:

Leaf fans: “Told you Matthews is better”

——

It’s all subjective and the guy who’s gonna be seen as better is the guy with the biggest fan base using subjective arguments... It’s all in the palm of Leaf fans hands. What happened to Laine last year is happening to Matthews now in a worse degree and apparently it’s not okay for Jets fans to do what Leaf fans did, because Leaf fans are Leaf fans..

Last edited:

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014

What about draft season WJC, WHC or playoffs? No use clinging to past accomplishes.

Right now Laine is tied for the goal scoring lead and is probably the hottest player in the league. Matthews is injured so hard to say where he would be.

Career stats for both:
Laine 141 GP 76G 51A 127P 0.90 PPG
Matthews 135 GP 68G 51A 119P 0.88 PPG

About as close as possible.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What about draft season WJC, WHC or playoffs? No use clinging to past accomplishes.

Right now Laine is tied for the goal scoring lead and is probably the hottest player in the league. Matthews is injured so hard to say where he would be.
So how come last season when Laine missed those 8 games because of a concussion it was ok for Jets fans to say he would have scored 40 goals or more and won the Calder instead of Matthews. Isn't that the same thing when Leafs fans say what Matthews stats might be if he never got injured? If so doesn't that mean it's a double standard?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
So how come last season when Laine missed those 8 games because of a concussion it was ok for Jets fans to say he would have scored 40 goals or more and won the Calder instead of Matthews. Isn't that the same thing when Leafs fans say what Matthews stats might be if he never got injured? If so doesn't that mean it's a double standard?

Matthews has nearly missed double that amount and Laine was on pace for a larger amount of points ahead of Matthews(Matthews is currently on pace for 1 more point this season and Laine was on pace for 2 or 3 more last season), not only that Laine had more GPG in both seasons.

Reactions: VoraceksWristShot

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews has nearly missed double that amount and Laine was on pace for a larger amount of points ahead of Matthews(Matthews is currently on pace for 1 more point this season and Laine was on pace for 2 or 3 more last season), not only that Laine had more GPG in both seasons.
I'm not doubting what Matthews stats are this year compared to his rookie season and I know his injuries played a role in that. My main point is why was it ok to say what Laine was projected to do after his concussion and saying he would have won the Calder, however it's wrong for Leafs fans to say what Matthews stats might have been? Are those not the same things?

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Sure it's fine to adjust Matthews stats to 82 games, but that's not the same thing as getting those points playing the 82 games. Just like Laine was on pace to score 40 last season, but real goals scored: 36.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sure it's fine to adjust Matthews stats to 82 games, but that's not the same thing as getting those points playing the 82 games. Just like Laine was on pace to score 40 last season, but real goals scored: 36.
Just like it's not the same thing when Laine played 73 games in his rookie season and saying if he played all 82 he would have won the Calder over Matthews who played 82 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->