Cat to the table: Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
It obviously is not the norm or he would score 100 goals in a season.

But what it is is adjustment for the rest of the time, when he wasn't scoring that much.

Again, he's shooting at 19.7% and not 42%.
Pretty sure I read someone in this thread saying how he's a lock for 60-70 next season. I don't know what to tell you. I'm a Laine fan and have him drafted into three pools this year. I know he's a great goal scorer. But when you jump off the deep end like that, its harder for some of us to take people seriously here. Specially after reading all the Calder threads last season.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
As Ijuka so succinctly put it. I don't expect Laine to score 100 goals a season shooting 42% if this is what you are trying to say. And I am usually always here, so running off as you put it, I guess is another way of you showing cannot discuss hockey with me. I will be sure to hang the out of office sign when I log off next time.
Wanna admit Matty is better than Eichel? Also I'm happy we both understand that he's never going to shoot 42% and score a 100 goals.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Again, he's shooting at 19.7% and not 42%.

Yup, and no one disputes his season totals/ averages, or thinks that on aggregate that this season is an unsustainable high water mark.

BUT. Several in this thread weren't using this aggregate season for their comparison, they were using the last month as evidence of the "real Laine". That was disputed as unsustainable. Then a clown (not you) showed up and tried to build a strawman.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Ah...anotha one!!

I'll keep it simple.

Elite C > Elite W

#1 Overall > #2 Overall

Both terrific players! But I gotta go with the 6'3", 216 pound 2-way centre, regardless of team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wanna admit Matty is better than Eichel? Also I'm happy we both understand that he's never going to shoot 42% and score a 100 goals.
What does Eichel have to do with this thread?

No I think most people are more concerned if Laine can score 47-50 this year and not your target of 100 goals. But carry on here. That's still more than Matthews this season. That's the thread you know...You do know this?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He has potential for 150-200 but will score at least 130 in his prime. That kind of player we have here brother.

So potential for 200 points and 110 Goals, got it. Certainly is good to know what type of poster I'm dealing with, brother.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Well the think is that he was on same pace last season. It is very impressive because he has always been over PPG with all the other centers.

Malkin is on his prime & Laine is 19 years old raw player.

We are not talking about stretch, we are talking about his normal production without Bryan Little on his line up. 100 points next season, mark my words.
Didn't you say something like 'Laine will score 80 goals this year, mark my words'?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Nope he's in here living rent free in so many peoples minds.

Really devaluing that phrase. Guess my stress ball lives rent free on my desk, serves the same purpose and takes about the same amount of effort and attention. Didn't take it 30,000 posts and years of posing to get on the radar though- free at a tradeshow.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
So potential for 200 points and 110 Goals, got it. Certainly is good to know what type of poster I'm dealing with, brother.

Brother, i'm a guy who recognizes these thinks before ordinary fan has even heard about them, my knowledge about ice hockey has been too much for many emotions.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No they are to busy comparing him to Mario Lemieux.

No one did. Other than stylistically they resembled each other in the way they moved. Whereas when Matthews got off to a fast unsustainable start. There were some that actually posted they would prefer Matthews over McDavid. Most posters and Oilers fans know this.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Brother, i'm a guy who recognizes these thinks before ordinary fan has even heard about them, my knowledge about ice hockey has been too much for many emotions.

Just so it's on the record. You honestly believe Laine has the potential for 110 Goals and 200 points in a season?

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
No one did. Other than stylistically they resembled each other in the way they moved. Whereas when Matthews got off to a fast unsustainable start. There were some that actually posted they would prefer Matthews over McDavid. Most posters and Oilers fans know this.

You tell them, Bucky, only Leafs fans do these kinds of things on here. Yep, you and every other anti-Leafer on here are completely unbiased and never ever post anything that can be considered stupid.

@Asiantuntija, may you please take center stage again.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I don't think it was a ridiculous notion.

Before Laine's little hot streak, Matthews had a better goals/game than Laine for a season and a half.
For the record Matthews had better GPG only for the first 7 games last season and after that it was all Laine right until the end. Matthews was in the lead from second week of October to the second week of March. If this was a competition Laine would have been in the lead more often than not, even if you ignore the recent hotstreak.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
What does Eichel have to do with this thread?

No I think most people are more concerned if Laine can score 47-50 this year and not your target of 100 goals. But carry on here. That's still more than Matthews this season. That's the thread you know...You do know this?
Oh no, Laine is going to get 50 goals while Matthews will only get 28. What will we ever do???

We're happy for Laine. Most leafs fans are gracious enough to give the kid his dues.

As for Eichel. It's not related to the thread but you know it kills you to see your boy Auston outperforming him like a champ. Leafs nation will still take you back btw, we have a bigger heart than you do.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Ok Bucky, you believe what you want to believe and I'll believe the truth.
By the way. Yes there were a select few leaf fans that said Matthews was as good as McDavid. With the size ofoour fanbase there are going to be a few people with unconventional ideas But the majority of us were just saying that the gap between the two players was not as big as some believe. That's all.
As for Laine, good for him that he can score goals that's great for Winnipeg, but I'll take the the first line center that plays both ends of the ice, drives his line and can score with the best of them....and I'm pretty sure 99 percent of GMs would agree with me.

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->