Cat to the table: Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
16:39 isn't exactly top line winger minutes. Not to mention the easy matchups. He's an elite PP guy though!:)

Yeah his minutes are less this year
Probably because they dont want him exhausted come playoffs...if you remember what he looked like last season that may be why.

Anyways what is his point streak up to now? 15-16 games!?!?

Last edited:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Yeah his minutes are less this year
Probably because they dont want him exhausted come playoffs...if you remember what he looked like last season that may be why.

Anyways what is his point streak up to now? 15-16 games!?!?

Yea, I'm sure the Jets were hoping to save him for the playoffs. :P

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
You think Laine will be the best goal scoring ever? Better than Gretzky, Lemieux, both Hulls, Esposito, Ovechkin, etc? I have to ask, how old are you?

Yes exactly. He will beat Ovie 65 goals record easily in his prime.

Laine without Little this season: 31 games 23+12 = 35 PTS 1,13 PPG 0,74 GPG

Matthews won't ever match this pace. Laine has always been way better with everyone else than Bryan Little. Matthews is good player & it's not a shame to lost against world best.

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Yea, I'm sure the Jets were hoping to save him for the playoffs. :P
I mean maybe...to tell you the truth playing with little he didnt really deserve heavier minutes but thats not the case now...last season he was pushed close to 20 minutes for a large part of the early season and he looked visible tired especially towards the end of the season...now he does not.

NeverTriggered

Jan 15, 2017
knows how to play defense. Also center > winger.

I couldn't have said that any better. Center>winger.

Seriously speaking, they both are great players and project to be top players of their generation. It all comes down to team needs. Does a team value more centre's positional impact or do they need a wicked cannon shot to help scoring? If I would be Edmonton GM I would take Laine over Matthews without hesitation but in case of Minnesota I would want Matthews. Winnipeg and Toronto are happy with their current players and wouldn't trade them for each other because they are a better fit in their current teams.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I couldn't have said that any better. Center>winger.

Seriously speaking, they both are great players and project to be top players of their generation. It all comes down to team needs. Does a team value more centre's positional impact or do they need a wicked cannon shot to help scoring? If I would be Edmonton GM I would take Laine over Matthews without hesitation but in case of Minnesota I would want Matthews. Winnipeg and Toronto are happy with their current players and wouldn't trade them for each other because they are a better fit in their current teams.

The highlighted is all that really needs to be said.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah it has been close looking purely by points as you showed. It's still funny to think back all the debates and how Laine was not supposed to be anywhere near at the same level. Today it looks the opposite if anything. Laine has had more growing pains and it makes sense since he was pretty badly injured in the juniors and is considerably younger. So our judgement for him most probably having the highest ceiling out of 2016 draftees wasn't at all off. It's been more of a surprise that he's already been able to thrive in the league despite of being a bigger project. Just the idea of getting close to 50 goals while playing 16+ min average in today's era is an insane accomplishment for a player of any age. Anyway, at the end of the day both of these guys' careers have been pleasant surprises, no arguing there.

I agree Kelsier. 41 goals averaging 16+ mins a game thus far is impressive anyway you look at it. One can wonder when Maurice starts using him more what his goal totals will be with added progression in development. I actually think Laine should also be killing PIMS too. I think his reach and hockey sense could make him a weapon on the PK too. I know Wheeler does, why not Laine?

Both teams should be happy with both players they drafted. Though I understand why Leafs have a need to push Matthews as the better player, they had a choice of both players, whereas The Jets had only one choice, Laine fell into their laps when they won the lottery from going 7-2, thus they will never be second guessed on who they picked. Their careers will probably always be intertwined.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

Matthews won't ever match this pace. Laine has always been way better with everyone else than Bryan Little. Matthews is good player & it's not a shame to lost against world best.

How old are you? Ovi's 65 goals are the most goals scored in the past 10 years. You want to know when the last player scored 65 goals before Ovi did? We're going back to Mario Lemieux in 1995-96 when he scored 69 goals. So you are saying 'He [Laine] will beat Ovie 65 goals record easily in his prime'. Do you realize how childish and ridiculous you sound? A player will 'easily' beat Ovi's mark that hasn't been touched in over 20 years?

Did anyone ever teach you to avoid absolutes and instead say things like 'I suspect' 'typically' 'tend to' 'generally' 'most likely' 'probably' and the like.

Last edited:

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I agree Kelsier. 41 goals averaging 16+ mins a game thus far is impressive anyway you look at it. One can wonder when Maurice starts using him more what his goal totals will be with added progression in development. I actually think Laine should also be killing PIMS too. I think his reach and hockey sense could make him a weapon on the PK too. I know Wheeler does, why not Laine?

Both teams should be happy with both players they drafted. Though I understand why Leafs have a need to push Matthews as the better player, they had a choice of both players, whereas The Jets had only one choice, Laine fell into their laps when they won the lottery from going 7-2, thus they will never be second guessed on who they picked. Their careers will probably always be intertwined.

I think you've been selectively reading through these endless Matthews/Laine tire-fire threads. There's just as many Jets fans in every one of them feeling the need to push Laine as the better of the two.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

You can believe whatever you want, even as unlikely as it is. I'm sure few people expected Gretzky to hit 200+ points until he did after all.

But you're giving waaay too much importance to Laine's 31 game stretch. It's.....31 games? And it's not even all that impressive all things considered.

Malkin - hardly an all-time great goal-scorer - has the following stretch:

37 games. 30 goals, 59 points. That's a 1.6 PPG and a .81 GPG. higher ppg, gpg and more games played than Laine. No one here is predicting Malkin to hit 75+ goals next year based on that.

And if you think Matthews will never have a 31 game stretch in his career that rivals that - you're delusional. I'd bet there are 20+ players who have had better stretches in the past 10 years alone.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I'm not saying Laine can't score more goals with more ice time, or that he won't score more goals in future years than he has this year - but don't give too much importance to total ice time.

You're only as good as the ice time you warrant from your coach.

If player A produces a lot more than player B but also plays quite a few more minutes per game - well good for player A and too bad for player B. It's Player B's own fault for not earning more minutes.

p.s. Matthews has had the better start to their career. Higher draft pick, better 1st season. So Leaf fans are pushing their guy because he warrants it so far.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Matthews will never match a 1.13 point per game pace over 31 games? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
After Matthews rookie season I don't remember any Leafs fans who claimed he was going to be a better goal scorer than Laine, even though he ended up with 40 goals compared to the 36 goals Laine scored.

For anyone to suggest that Laine will be the better scorer from now one is still to early to predict and because Laine is still doing all this while Matthews is injured.

You're ether ridiculously biased or flat out lying. There's been more than few Leafs fas claiming Matthews the better scorer all the way from last season. Especially on the Leafs board here.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Is it time for this one to be closed yet? We've had 19 pages of bickering and the end result in this poll is same it's been in every poll since before these two players were drafted: a lopsided Matthews victory. And rightfully so. Let's try and wait at least 6 months this time before opening the next one if we can people.

Reactions: Kelly

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

Actually it's Jets fans pushing the narrative that Laine is better. Before the Laine hot streak and when Matthews was not injured and playing with better stats then Laine there were no comparison threads.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Actually it's Jets fans pushing the narrative that Laine is better. Before the Laine hot streak and when Matthews was not injured and playing with better stats then Laine there were no comparison threads.
Some fans believe Laine is the best player from the 2016 draft. There was no mention of Matthews. But some took this as a slight to Matthews. If people say Laine may be the 2nd best player picked from both 2015 and 2016 drafts. Where a case at this current time can certainly be made, and that he is still a teenager. I don't see a reason for getting defensive by any fanbase that is not Edmonton's. He's proven he is that special as all time goal scoring teenagers go where a case can be made for this going fwd. We will see in the next few years how that goes. It may change or it may come true. Nothing to suggest this is an outlandish position to take.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Some fans believe Laine is the best player from the 2016 draft. There was no mention of Matthews. But some took this as a slight to Matthews. If people say Laine may be the 2nd best player picked from both 2015 and 2016 drafts. Where a case at this current time can certainly be made, and that he is still a teenager. I don't see a reason for getting defensive by any fanbase that is not Edmonton's. He's proven he is that special as all time goal scoring teenagers go where a case can be made for this going fwd. We will see in the next few years how that goes. It may change or it may come true. Nothing to suggest this is an outlandish position to take.

Who cares. The draft is over. Stop living in the past.

PSA: Did you know Gretzky was the best player from the 1963 to 2017 draft THAT WAS NEVER DRAFTED!? Some people are held up on Laine, McDavid, Marner, Eichel and Matthews. :laugh:

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You're ether ridiculously biased or flat out lying. There's been more than few Leafs fas claiming Matthews the better scorer all the way from last season. Especially on the Leafs board here.

Slow down skippy, poster says they don’t recall something and you accuse them of being either biased or a liar? lol. Tell you what, if it’s so rampant why don’t you put up some links to it, otherwise maybe keep your own lying or bias in check.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Who cares. The draft is over. Stop living in the past.

PSA: Did you know Gretzky was the best player from the 1963 to 2017 draft THAT WAS NEVER DRAFTED!? Some people are held up on Laine, McDavid, Marner, Eichel and Matthews. :laugh:

I agree, the draft is over. Thus if people want to think, say or believe Laine was the BPA from 2016. That they will stop getting defensive and mentioning draft or Matthews.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
So the you agree that it's mainly Jets fans that need to push Laine as the better player as proven by the amount of recent comparison threads since his hot streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->