Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For everyone asking why, dot already laid it out:

It doesn't matter what season the contract was signed, only the calendar year matters. In 2018, Mittelstadt turns 20. He's not eligible for a contract slide regardless of the season the contract takes effect.

The whole point of the slide rule is to allow teams to see if a player is ready at the start of the season and if he isn't allow the team to return him to juniors without burning an ELC year. Yes, players can be called up after their CHL season is complete, but that doesn't happen very often (because good players are often playing in the CHL playoffs and there's usually little reason to call such a player up to the NHL vs the AHL when their CHL season is complete).

Regarding the point of the rule (why players who are 19 as of September 15, but turn 20 before the completion of the year aren't eligible for a contract slide) it's because such players are eligible to play in the AHL the year in which they sign their SPC, and they don't want contracts sliding for players who were always slated for the AHL that season (that's not the point of the contract slide). As for how it specifically affects Mittelstadt it's an edge case that's the result of a confluence of circumstances.

Also another interesting wrinkle is that if Mittelstadt signs an ELC that commences this season, he would have four seasons of waiver exemption (including this season), meaning that he would be waiver exempt for one season following the completion of his ELC.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Sabres have all the leverage here. Botts can say we're only offering an ELC starting in 18-19. You can choose to play in Rochester on a ATO or you can sit at home, your choice.

What's he going to do, demand his rights be traded?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres have all the leverage here. Botts can say we're only offering an ELC starting in 18-19. You can choose to play in Rochester on a ATO or you can sit at home, your choice.

He could just say he's going to wait and finish his year. Or stay another year at UM, akin to what he did with his HS team in his draft year.

It would be best for the organization to have him in Rochester for the spring. That is what needs to be impressed upon him the most, the point that they need to persuade him to. Whether he takes it or not will be interesting to see. I'm not holding my breath.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I think that the best case scenario for Casey and the Sabres is that he signs this Summer and starts the year in Rochester. He could be ready for the NHL, but my intuition says he isn't and could use some time in the minors. He's clearly our best prospect, but could he handle the physicality of the NHL after an off-season of training?

Gives Botts time over the summer to trade away Okposo as well so that Casey can wear #21. Sadly, Okposo is untradable.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014

Sit at home aka stay one more year as the biggest name on a huge campus where hockey players don't exactly have it tough... With a new coach that wouldn't have to do much to make the team a contender again. Would be rough for him. lol

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It doesn't matter what season the contract was signed, only the calendar year matters. In 2018, Mittelstadt turns 20. He's not eligible for a contract slide regardless of the season the contract takes effect.

The whole point of the slide rule is to allow teams to see if a player is ready at the start of the season and if he isn't allow the team to return him to juniors without burning an ELC year. Yes, players can be called up after their CHL season is complete, but that doesn't happen very often (because good players are often playing in the CHL playoffs and there's usually little reason to call such a player up to the NHL vs the AHL when their CHL season is complete).

Regarding the point of the rule (why players who are 19 as of September 15, but turn 20 before the completion of the year aren't eligible for a contract slide) it's because such players are eligible to play in the AHL the year in which they sign their SPC, and they don't want contracts sliding for players who were always slated for the AHL that season (that's not the point of the contract slide). As for how it specifically affects Mittelstadt it's an edge case that's the result of a confluence of circumstances.

Also another interesting wrinkle is that if Mittelstadt signs an ELC that commences this season, he would have four seasons of waiver exemption (including this season), meaning that he would be waiver exempt for one season following the completion of his ELC.

They could sign him to a contract that doesn't kick in till 18/19 season then he does an ATO with Rochester

Also...by my understanding....if an expansion draft happens in 2020. Mittlestadt playing an NHL game in 17/18 would make him a player that needs to be protected. He doesn't then he is exempt.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
With Borgen, Nelson, any college FA probably also seeking this kind of perk Botts will have his work cut out for him.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I don’t blame people for being confused considering the Buffalo News published an article today. saying his contract would slide. I tried to inform Vogl of his error but it’s still up.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010

yes, and as everyone knows; strong arming a rookie is the best way to endear them to their new franchise.

really builds a trusting culture that players want to be a part of.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
So what are the pros/cons here?

He signs now.

Good- He finishes Sabres the season playing in NHL. These final few games are acutally fun to watch for us fans. Then he can go down and play in the AHL playoffs.

Bad- basically burns an ELC year for 10 games potentially making his contract in 20-21 pricey.

Indifferent IMO- May have to proctect him in the Seattle expansion draft, thus exposing another player we may have wanted to proctect.

He signs PTO with Rochester

Good- gets thar professional hockey taste and gives the Amerks a big boost for a playoff run.

Bad- Sabres final games not as interesting

Signs after the season ends.

Good- 3 full years of an ELC deal.

Bad- no taste of the pro game.

Personally the PTO is the best of both worlds. But I dont think him signing to play NHL games now is all that terrible.

Botts would need a big sell job on the PTO compared to that first taste of NHL money

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Whatever happens, not having him in Buffalo or Rochester to finish the season would be a blunder on Botts' part

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
So what are the pros/cons here?

He signs now.

Good- He finishes Sabres the season playing in NHL. These final few games are acutally fun to watch for us fans. Then he can go down and play in the AHL playoffs.

Bad- basically burns an ELC year for 10 games potentially making his contract in 20-21 pricey.

Indifferent IMO- May have to proctect him in the Seattle expansion draft, thus exposing another player we may have wanted to proctect.

He signs PTO with Rochester

Good- gets thar professional hockey taste and gives the Amerks a big boost for a playoff run.

Bad- Sabres final games not as interesting

Signs after the season ends.

Good- 3 full years of an ELC deal.

Bad- no taste of the pro game.

Personally the PTO is the best of both worlds. But I dont think him signing to play NHL games now is all that terrible.

Botts would need a big sell job on the PTO compared to that first taste of NHL money

I'm pretty sure that if he signs an ELC and plays in Buffalo, then he can't join the Amerks for their playoffs.

I would also mention that the AHL is indeed professional hockey and a playoff run would be a great way to expose him to the pro game.

Not sure if he'd be signing an ATO or PTO

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With Borgen, Nelson, any college FA probably also seeking this kind of perk Botts will have his work cut out for him.

Anyone who makes the Frozen Four likely won't be able to burn the year because the final is the last weekend of the NHL season. Buffalo plays their season finale on the 7th, same night as the NCAA Final.

yes, and as everyone knows; strong arming a rookie is the best way to endear them to their new franchise.

really builds a trusting culture that players want to be a part of.

Yeah, it would make a lot more sense to try to bring him in from the position of adding him as an important piece of a Calder Cup run, get his feet wet at the next level rather than having to go from HS to NHL essentially in a single calendar year, and tacitly acknowledge possible 2nd contract concessions as a way to get him on the ATO.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
And if anyone still doubts whether or not Mittelstadt can sign a contract that signs, I'm going to provide some citations.

9.1(d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

So, if Mittelstadt signs an ELC at any point this calendar year, he counts as 19 for the purposes of signing his ELC (as he will still be 19 on September 15). However, as per the bolded above in 9.1(d)(i), since Mittelstadt would count as 19 per 9.2, but turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in this year, he is not eligible for the entry level slide.

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
And if anyone still doubts whether or not Mittelstadt can sign a contract that signs, I'm going to provide some citations.

9.1(d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

So, if Mittelstadt signs an ELC at any point this calendar year, he counts as 19 for the purposes of signing his ELC (as he will still be 19 on September 15). However, as per the bolded above in 9.1(d)(i), since Mittelstadt would count as 19 per 9.2, but turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in this year, he is not eligible for the entry level slide.

Between you and professional journalists at TBN, whose job it is to know things relating to the Sabres, I take you 10 out of 10 times without blinking.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I'm tempted to ask Buff if we can make this a pop-up on our forum specifically.

Between you and professional journalists at TBN, whose job it is to know things relating to the Sabres, I take you 10 out of 10 times without blinking.

Same. :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->