Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
https://theathletic.com/133014/2017...minnesota-golden-gophers-mens-college-hockey/

Nice article on the Athletic regarding Middlestadt, mentions his strength increases over the offseason and his coaches thoughts on where he is at, hints he could very well be ready for the end of the year.

Also thought it was cool regarding the scouts shout out on how he stands out, the same scout that like Guentzel. Casey and Jake are both incredible talents but its the creativity that really set them apart, the first time I saw Guentzel, he made this subtle little backhand pass through the middle of the ice that I didn't even think was possible based on his positioning, was a play I had never seen before and I have seen a lot of creative hockey. Casey did those kind of plays on a nightly basis as well. At full speed he can chain together a dazzling display of subtle puck touches and adjustments that play huge mind games with defenders and open up massive lanes and this is a skill that is highly transferrable to the NHL because it is the mind games that Casey wins through trial and error.

People say he's a Kane clone, I think he plays more like a break neck speed Datsyuk, the moves are subtle but crisp and its all about putting the defenseman in uncomfortable positions and stretching the limits of how they can play him, he immediately jumps on any opening and has the vision to take advantage of the openings that his hands and speed create. He should have a very great career, too bad it won't be with the Wild ;)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Mittelstadt was +2 with an assist in Minnesota's 2-1 win at North Dakota on Friday. Gifs below start with his first-period primary assist that sent Pitlick in alone:

Next, we have a zone entry, redirect, and centering pass sequence:

Followed by a 5v4 PP SOG in the waning seconds of the first period:

Mittelstadt with a net front chance on a loose puck and then promptly dumped from behind:

More of his usual PP TOI, with a 4v3 PP shot attempt here:

He was part of the odd-man attack on the eventual GWG, but no touches and more of a decoy; nice snipe by the defender:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
https://theathletic.com/133014/2017...minnesota-golden-gophers-mens-college-hockey/

Nice article on the Athletic regarding Middlestadt, mentions his strength increases over the offseason and his coaches thoughts on where he is at, hints he could very well be ready for the end of the year.

Also thought it was cool regarding the scouts shout out on how he stands out, the same scout that like Guentzel. Casey and Jake are both incredible talents but its the creativity that really set them apart, the first time I saw Guentzel, he made this subtle little backhand pass through the middle of the ice that I didn't even think was possible based on his positioning, was a play I had never seen before and I have seen a lot of creative hockey. Casey did those kind of plays on a nightly basis as well. At full speed he can chain together a dazzling display of subtle puck touches and adjustments that play huge mind games with defenders and open up massive lanes and this is a skill that is highly transferrable to the NHL because it is the mind games that Casey wins through trial and error.

People say he's a Kane clone, I think he plays more like a break neck speed Datsyuk, the moves are subtle but crisp and its all about putting the defenseman in uncomfortable positions and stretching the limits of how they can play him, he immediately jumps on any opening and has the vision to take advantage of the openings that his hands and speed create. He should have a very great career, too bad it won't be with the Wild ;)
What I f***in love about Casey is that I've heard him get compared to everyone who does ludicrous stuff at speed - Dats, Kane, even McDavid.

One of those has to translate, right?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I read he got drilled from behind with a cross check last night. Not sure if it was how he got injured though.
You can see that in the fourth gif a few posts back. The only other after whistle shenanigans I can think of was maybe a little whack to his hands, but I thought nothing of either and it didn't linger into his play. :dunno:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You can see that in the fourth gif a few posts back. The only other after whistle shenanigans I can think of was maybe a little whack to his hands, but I thought nothing of either and it didn't linger into his play. :dunno:

Some clarity. Glad it isn't considered serious

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Lucia's full quote in the Strib on Mittelstadt's absence: "He’s kind of week to week. He got cross-checked [Friday] night in the back. He fell, and he wanted to play, and he was sore. We just felt that it’s a long season, and I’d rather see if we have a better chance of getting him back next week [against Clarkson] than doing something to aggravate it.”

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

LaxSabre - Hopefully Casey play this weekend as both games vs Clarkson will be on local TV.
Both games will be televised LIVE on Fox College Sports which is channel 374 if you have Spectrum.
Coverage begins at 8:00 pm ET - both Friday night and Saturday night.
There is a replay scheduled for Sunday morning at 8:30 am ET on Fox College Sports Central (373).
No idea if that airing will be a replay of Fridays game or Saturdays game.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's had a couple of creative, dangerous plays on the PP here in the 2nd. Nearly converted off the rush on a 5-on-3 advantage.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Spin move out of the corner, brings the puck to the net and Reedy eventually bangs it in from close range. Primary assist to Casey. Sweet play attacking the net... love seeing that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sheehy forces and wins a puck battle, throws it in front for Mittelstadt who connects on a shot. Shot is saved by Keiley, rebound out to Pitlick who buries it. Primary assist #2 for Casey. Wouldn't have happened if he yet again wasn't battling around the net.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I'd love it if Jack went into dirty areas with (and without) the puck the way Casey regularly does at the NCAA level.

Was moreso the move along the boards, stick handling, and taking to the net. The difference is Eichel would've turned the puck over with a terrible no look backhand to the blue line instead of shooting it.

Either way it sounds like we got lucky with Mittlestadt so far.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Thanks to everyone updating this thread with write ups and clips. Really appreciate it. Makes me a little more hopeful as a Sabres fan.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Thanks to everyone updating this thread with write ups and clips. Really appreciate it. Makes me a little more hopeful as a Sabres fan.
This and Jacks clear step forward are the only things keeping me remotely optimistic. Thanks from me too for all the gifs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad