Carter vs. Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaizer said:
And what did they say ? AO is wrong and they are young Gods ?

Players such as Syvret weren't impressed with his taunts.

AO said:

"People said Canada is champions, Canada is best here. We're going to try and prove Russia is better."

Syvret replied "I guess he likes the mic"

So in your estimation there is nothing wrong with disrespecting your opponent? Why would you fire them up before the game like this? Just stupidity in my mind, but to each their own.

What player goes out before a game and basically says, yea we beat them already, they aren't good, they are just a team?

If you can't see what is wrong with those quotes, then all the logic in the world won't make you see my point.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

AO said:

"People said Canada is champions, Canada is best here. We're going to try and prove Russia is better."

So in your estimation there is nothing wrong with disrespecting your opponent? Why would you fire them up before the game like this? Just stupidity in my mind, but to each their own.

What player goes out before a game and basically says, yea we beat them already, they aren't good, they are just a team?

If you can't see what is wrong with those quotes, then all the logic in the world won't make you see my point.

if you are going to quote something you really need to provide a link......otherwise its worthless

even if he did say this....how do you take that and twist it into "they aren't good". Please explain your logic

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Then I guess I cannot process logic along with Kaiser... because I see absolutely nothing wrong with Ovechkin saying (to paraphrase) that he and his teammates are going to try to prove Russia is a better team than the favored Canadians by beating them. I just don't see the disrespect.

If he would have said something like "Screw Canada, they're a bunch of overrated wussbags and we shouldn't have any problem steamrolling them." you would have a point. Again... I think that this entire scenario was overblown to the extreme in the first place, though.

What does "wussbag" translate to in cyrillic, by the by?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mothra said:
love to.....link?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2005/01/04/807137-sun.html

Well versed? You gotta be kidding......the guy wants to...and tries his best at english, to his credit.....but if you think he is "well versed" you either arent being honest....or are not playing with a full deck. When he speaks english it is pretty broken as he searches for any words out of the complete ordinary.....the language barrier is quite obvious

So he didn't know what he was saying? Right...

If you believe that, then you are the one who needs to re-shuffle the deck.

How am I letting anyone "off the hook"? I think the whole thing was waaaaay overblown...and how am I condemning him? The original poster said he "seems to possess a more mature professional attitude when compared to Kovalchuk and Ovechkin" How is that so? What supports that claim?...

and....if you are slamming AO for this....and at the same time say "There is no difference between what he did and what Ovechkin did"...shouldnt you take of the homer goggles and slam EM?

I never let EM off the hook. I didn't think what he did was too cool, but when a Cap fan claims EM taunting was worse than AO, it is blatant homerism.

At least EM didn't talk smack to Team Canada and then leave with an "injury"

EM at least gutted it out, which is more than I can say for AO.

If you are going to talk smack, you better back it up...not let your teammates clean up your mess.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
BlindWillyMcHurt said:
Then I guess I cannot process logic along with Kaiser... because I see absolutely nothing wrong with Ovechkin saying (to paraphrase) that he and his teammates are going to try to prove Russia is a better team than the favored Canadians by beating them. I just don't see the disrespect.

If he would have said something like "Screw Canada, they're a bunch of overrated wussbags and we shouldn't have any problem steamrolling them." you would have a point. Again... I think that this entire scenario was overblown to the extreme in the first place, though.

What does "wussbag" translate to in cyrillic, by the by?

All of it is overblown, and I personally don't care about it.

However, anyone who says EM's taunting was worse than AO, isn't looking at all of the facts..

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

AO said:

Where is disrespect ? He said : "Canada is best ... We will try" Yes, it is stupidity if you can see taunts here.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaizer said:
Where is disrespect ? He said : "Canada is best ... We will try" Yes, it is stupidity if you can see taunts here.

Look at the title of the article.

You don't give your opponent any locker room material...that is the stupidity.

He said "People said Canada is champions, Canada is best here." Notice the little "comma" He didn't give them any credit.

He then goes on to tell how they had beaten them the last time.

Keep thinking those quotes by AO where smart and helped his team...

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Look at the title of the article.
It's about game against USA and we aren't talking about it. Right ?

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
He said "People say Canada is the best"
And what did people realy say ?

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
He then goes on to tell how they had beaten them the last time.
How many times did Canadian players talk to media before WC 05 that they had won 2 previous WC and wanted to win 3rd in a row ? What happened then ? Taunt ?

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Keep thinking those quotes by AO where smart and helped his team...
See previous question.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

Thanks...lets look at some of these terrible things he said

the nerve of him

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
So he didn't know what he was saying? Right...

If you believe that, then you are the one who needs to re-shuffle the deck.

What Im saying is....with the language barrier many people from eastern Europe who dont speak english fluently will be short and direct. Even so I dont see where these comments are disrespectful...I really dont....and judging from what I have read on this thread, I'm not alone

I have answered your questions....yet you seem to ignore mine. please

do you still say he is "versed in English"

how do you take what he said and twist it into "they aren't good".?

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
I never let EM off the hook. I didn't think what he did was too cool, but when a Cap fan claims EM taunting was worse than AO, it is blatant homerism.

well...I have seen many many times players jawing at each other from the bench.....even coaches....I can only remember Barnaby and EM skating right in front of the oppositions bench taunting them......I think it is worse, yes.....added that it was after a totally meaningless goal just adds to that.....

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
At least EM didn't talk smack to Team Canada and then leave with an "injury"

EM at least gutted it out, which is more than I can say for AO.

If you are going to talk smack, you better back it up...not let your teammates clean up your mess.
Still dont see how he talked smack about canada.....

Now you are just being ridiculous.....its obvious you are saying that his shoulder injury was a fake.....ignoring that he missed 20 or so games in the RSL due to that.

Are you saying he was faking? If not..I guess every player who gets injured needs to "gut it out".....when Bobby Gould one punched Mario after Mario started a fight with him.....I guess he just let his teammates cleanup his mess

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
You do know that Ovechkin was taunting them before Malkin scored, right?

Or is it the last player who taunts who is worse? Not sure what the grading scale is for these things. Not up to date on taunting 101.

did we watch the same game? Since I taped the game I even went back to look at it when the supposed hoopla when it first happened. Regardless of how much or how little one feels about smack talking/taunting if one had to compare what Ovechkin or Malkin did in my opinion Malkin's would have been greater...that being I'm not sure why people freak out on what happened period... Maybe watching NBA/NFL makes it pretty tame... Is it a canadian thing that leads them to be averse to some smack talking? I don't know.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaizer said:
How many times did Canadian players talk to media before WC 05 that they had won 2 previous WC and wanted to win 3rd in a row ? What happened then ? Taunt ?

I am not a big Canadian fan so I really don't care what they said. I am not going to defend them or get into a debate about them.

You don't talk smack just because you opponent does.

Smart players don't give their opponents any extra motivation. That is a universal thing, no matter what language you speak.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
I am not a big Canadian fan so I really don't care what they said. I am not going to defend them or get into a debate about them.

You don't talk smack just because you opponent does.

Smart players don't give their opponents any extra motivation. That is a universal thing, no matter what language you speak.
You will not believe but smart players and captains also motivate their own mates with public speeches too .

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mothra said:
Thanks...lets look at some of these terrible things he said

the nerve of him

As he goes on to explain how they beat the Canadians the year before.

Why do you think the Canadian media jumped all over this? Why would you be so dumb as to give them anything to use as locker room fodder?

What Im saying is....with the language barrier many people from eastern Europe who dont speak english fluently will be short and direct. Even so I dont see where these comments are disrespectful...I really dont....and judging from what I have read on this thread, I'm not alone

I have answered your questions....yet you seem to ignore mine. please

Judging by the Canadian media's response, I am not alone either.

He understood what he said.

do you still say he is "versed in English"

how do you take what he said and twist it into "they aren't good".?

Did he give them any credit? No. But he did talk of how they are "just a team"..and "Do you remember Halifax"

It is just plain stupid to make those quotes.

well...I have seen many many times players jawing at each other from the bench.....even coaches....I can only remember Barnaby and EM skating right in front of the oppositions bench taunting them......I think it is worse, yes.....added that it was after a totally meaningless goal just adds to that.....

Taunting is taunting, I don't know how you can distinguish it. Words and actions have the same effect.

Now you are just being ridiculous.....its obvious you are saying that his shoulder injury was a fake.....ignoring that he missed 20 or so games in the RSL due to that.

Are you saying he was faking? If not..I guess every player who gets injured needs to "gut it out".....when Bobby Gould one punched Mario after Mario started a fight with him.....I guess he just let his teammates cleanup his mess

Plenty of players have tuffed out worse injuries in a big game.

usiel said:
did we watch the same game? Since I taped the game I even went back to look at it when the supposed hoopla when it first happened. Regardless of how much or how little one feels about smack talking/taunting if one had to compare what Ovechkin or Malkin did in my opinion Malkin's would have been greater...that being I'm not sure why people freak out on what happened period... Maybe watching NBA/NFL makes it pretty tame... Is it a canadian thing that leads them to be averse to some smack talking? I don't know.

As I said I believe three times now, I don't care that it happened either.

I have the ESPN broadcast on tape, and AO is jawing at the US bench after he scores. I also had a friend at the game who told me he was going at it with the US players pretty good..pointing to his stick..kissing it..etc.

So again, I don't see how EM hi-fiving the US bench is any worse than AO's behavior.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaizer said:
You will not believe but smart players and captains also motivate their own mates with public speeches too .

Smart players don't call out the other team...

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
balddog66 said:
Carter has yet to prove anything to me, I think he's quickly became one of the most overrated prospects out there...please do not compare him to Sakic or Yzerman...
Yes he has had a good run with the Phantoms, yes he did well on Canada's best junior team ever (who likely would have won easily without him anyway) but his junior stats imo are quite average...Bobby Ryan easily outscored him and he's two years younger...

Bobby Ryan was on a stacked team. Carter was by himself basically. Dylan Hunter outscored Bobby Ryan - do you think he's a better player than Ryan?

Tom

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Plenty of players have tuffed out worse injuries in a big game.

How do you know how bad it was......again.....he missed 20 some games following that......did you examine him? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound on this point. We can agree or disagree about what is taunting and all that noise......but this is just Pejorative Slured......you have no idea how bad he was injured, and early reports even mentioned surgery.....much less the injuries to these other players you speak of.....playing hurt is one thing....playing injured is something totally different

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Smart players don't call out the other team...
And about what shoud smart players talk in interviews ? Weather ? Or praise opponents and believe that mates will not read it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mothra said:
How do you know how bad it was......again.....he missed 20 some games following that......did you examine him? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound on this point. We can agree or disagree about what is taunting and all that noise......but this is just Pejorative Slured......you have no idea how bad he was injured, and early reports even mentioned surgery.....much less the injuries to these other players you speak of.....playing hurt is one thing....playing injured is something totally different

Jack Youngblood played on a broken leg in SB 14

Ronnie Lott had half of his thumb cut off to keep playing in the 88 NFC championship game.

Kerri Strug tore all the ligaments in her ankle and yet still managed to tough it out and helped the U.S. win its first ever team gymnastics gold medal.

Byron Leftwich agt. Akron..had to be carried up and down the field by his linemen..and refused to leave his teammates..

Emmitt Smith separated his shoulder against the Giants and came back to lead them to a HUGE OT win that wrapped up the division for his team.

Steve Yzerman underwent reconstructive surgery on his knee after leading the Wings to a SC in '02...he played basically the whole playoffs on one leg.

Bobby Baun was taken off the ice on a stretcher in game 6 of the 64 cup finals after having his ankle busted by a slapshot. He got it iced and taped..came back and scored the game tying goal.

He couldn't walk without crutches..and still played in game 7

That enough examples for you?

I'm sure I can think of plenty more if you like.

Am I to assume AO was hurt worse than all of these players?

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mothra said:

He backed up his talk..unlike AO.

When you win 5 SC at that point in your career, you can talk all the smack you like.

When AO has those credentials, he can say whatever he wants.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
tom_servo said:
I think it's time to give it a rest, Jiggy.

Well as soon as someone can tell me how EM actions where worse than AO's I'll gladly slow my roll.

I haven't seen anything but excuses for AO.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Well as soon as someone can tell me how EM actions where worse than AO's I'll gladly slow my roll.

I haven't seen anything but excuses for AO.
both of their actions were blown waaay out of proportion to begin with. they're both amazing players that will become big-time stars. we should compare their play over the next few years, and not petty stuff like this.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Dark Metamorphosis said:
both of their actions were blown waaay out of proportion to begin with. they're both amazing players that will become big-time stars. we should compare their play over the next few years, and not petty stuff like this.

I think that will happen once they start playing in the NHL and we have more to talk about them then just what they did in one game.

Tom

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Jack Youngblood played on a broken leg in SB 14

Ronnie Lott had half of his thumb cut off to keep playing in the 88 NFC championship game.

Kerri Strug tore all the ligaments in her ankle and yet still managed to tough it out and helped the U.S. win its first ever team gymnastics gold medal.

Byron Leftwich agt. Akron..had to be carried up and down the field by his linemen..and refused to leave his teammates..

Emmitt Smith separated his shoulder against the Giants and came back to lead them to a HUGE OT win that wrapped up the division for his team.

Steve Yzerman underwent reconstructive surgery on his knee after leading the Wings to a SC in '02...he played basically the whole playoffs on one leg.

Bobby Baun was taken off the ice on a stretcher in game 6 of the 64 cup finals after having his ankle busted by a slapshot. He got it iced and taped..came back and scored the game tying goal.

He couldn't walk without crutches..and still played in game 7

That enough examples for you?

I'm sure I can think of plenty more if you like.

most of these were well after the injury and they had been thoroughly examined by doctors......and they are quite the exception

how long of list could I come up with of guys who got injured and could not come back? I think even you will admit that the list will be a gabillion times longer.....and are you suggesting that all those players "let there teams down"? Or hat they were faking?

this also does not address the fact the way you originally made it sound was...he was faking it

leave with an "injury"

you never ansered the question....are you suggesting he was not injured and that he was faking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad