Carter vs. Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
For those of you who have seen Carter and/or Malkin play, I am wondering if you can give me an assessment as to their future offensive potential.

Malkin has often been placed in the same class as Ovechkin, with electric offensive skills and attention to detail in his own defensive end. Malkin also seems to possess a more mature professional attitude when compared to Kovalchuk and Ovechkin. I've only been fortunate to see Malkin play at the WJC, and I was very impressed. Another year of conditioning and training in Russia will only further develop his skills and allow him to step right in to the NHL next season.

Carter, on the other hand, has not received the same type of 'hype' that surrounds players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc. However, having watched Carter play the past two seasons in the Soo, and at the WJC, I believe he posseses all the important attributes to be a top line player in the NHL. He has explosive speed, soft hands, an amazing shot, and is adept at manoeuvring in traffic around the net. At the WJC, IMO, he was hands down the best player on the ice. He was clutch in scoring big goals when needed, and quietly lead the team on the ice.

I've seen Carter compared to Joe Thornton, although I don't see the same type of mean streak that Joe possesses. I see Carter developing into a 90+ pt player at the NHL level, while retaining all the intangible skills ala Sakic and Yzerman, that will lead his club to championships.

From what I've read about Malkin, he appears poised to develop into a 80+ pt player in the league. His offensive skills might in fact be superior to Carter, however, I feel that Carter is a more complete player than Malkin and thus will serve to enhance his success at the NHL level.

What are your thoughts?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I'd give the edge to Malkin based on skill. He has as much skill as anyone in the NHL. Carter, IMO, has proved more in NA than Malkin has(since Malkin hasn't been in NA). Right now, i'd give the edge to Carter, based on what he has done at the AHL level. Thats not to say that Malkin won't accomplish the same thing, or even more.

It's more or less equal, I guess. :dunno:

Claypool_*

Malkin is better right now and will be better in the future.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Claypool said:
Malkin is better right now and will be better in the future.
I don't think these really are the comments the initial poster is looking for. What is he better at? Does the fact that he's a better stick handler make him a better player? Is he as responsible a two-way player, will he ever be? Does he possess the same world class wrist/snap shot that Carter does? Does he possess the same intangibles that Carter does (very good PK, face off man)? Is he a better skater then Jeff? Is he stronger on the puck?

Having seen plenty of Carter and very little on Malkin, I can't really answer these questions. I think Carter is one of the few guys that is in that gap between super prospect (Crosby, Ovechkin) and just very good prospect (Parise, Suter). I have Carter lumped with Phaneuf and Vanek and I too would love to hear what makes Malkin a better player (not to mention a better future point producer at the NHL level.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Jenson said:
I've seen Carter compared to Joe Thornton, although I don't see the same type of mean streak that Joe possesses.

I've actually seen him compared more to Mats Sundin, which I think is a bit more accurate. He's certainly not going to be as physical as Thornton (IMO anyways), but has all the tools to be a great player

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
arrbez said:
I've actually seen him compared more to Mats Sundin, which I think is a bit more accurate. He's certainly not going to be as physical as Thornton (IMO anyways), but has all the tools to be a great player

I would agree that Carter posseses a demeanour that is more similar to Sundin, than to Thornton. However, I think that is where the comparison ends. I believe that Carter retains the intangible skills to be a real team leader. He works hard, is unselfish, and doesn't crumble under pressure. Being a buds fan, Sundin is captain of this team in name only.

The one area that I would like to see Carter improve in his game, is to develop more tenacity and aggressiveness. However, being on Bobby's Clarke team, Jeff had better not be afraid to mix it up a little bit if he hopes to play on one of the top two lines.

Maybe Carter can ask Thornton if he can tutor him during the summer in St. Thomas, going around from bar to bar beating up on the locals?? Just a thought.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Carter has been put into a position for success in playing along side forsberg and gagne. The spot is pretty much his to lose at this moment. Malkins game seems eerily similiar to that of forsbergs and most people who have seen him play wouldn't dispute this fact. Its a toss up, but for overall longevity to lay in the NHL level my choice would be Malkin because of his strong defensive game.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Malkin's potential is scary and he's realizing it much faster than many anticipated. A lot of people thought he would take several years to grow into his frame and make an impact, but his play last season in the RSL makes it clear he's just about ready to step in now. At draft time THN reported that some scouts were calling him a combination of Joe Sakic and Joe Thornton.

Claypool_*

Gags1288 said:
What is he better at?

He's already a better all-around player than Carter and is significantly younger. He also has played against men. There are plenty of hot shot kids that come out of the CHL every year that turn out to be so-so players. To me, Malkin as already proven he's a legit NHL caliber player where Carter has not. I think if you asked every GM in the league they would take Malkin without thinking about it.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
if you have ovechkin as a super prospect malkin belongs there too. considering he's a year younger, malkin's actually outpacing ovechkin's numbers from the rsl at the same age.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Claypool said:
He's already a better all-around player than Carter and is significantly younger. He also has played against men. There are plenty of hot shot kids that come out of the CHL every year that turn out to be so-so players. To me, Malkin as already proven he's a legit NHL caliber player where Carter has not. I think if you asked every GM in the league they would take Malkin without thinking about it.

Carter has more than proven himself against "men" in the AHL. He dominated them. He's ready for the NHL.

I'm not going to pretend like I think Carter is as good of a prospect as Malkin, but Malkin hasn't proven he's a legit NHL player any more than Carter - only playing in the NHL can do that. Russian stars can underachieve in the NHL too, you know.

Tom

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
thomasincanada said:
Carter has more than proven himself against "men" in the AHL. He dominated them.
He's had one good playoff year in the AHL. That's 21 games. There's no question he did very well in those 21 games, but it hardly makes him proven against men in the AHL.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
asab said:
He's had one good playoff year in the AHL. That's 21 games. There's no question he did very well in those 21 games, but it hardly makes him proven against men in the AHL.

Considering how he came to a completely new team in a new league that has more mature players and he had zero time to adjust, the numbers he put up were fantastic (Richards too for that matter). I don't think anyone could consider that a fluke.

Regardless of our opinions as to whether or not he's proven himself in the AHL - it doesn't really matter as he likely won't be playing again in that league any time soon.

Tom

Claypool_*

thomasincanada said:
Carter has more than proven himself against "men" in the AHL. He dominated them. He's ready for the NHL.

Tom

I guess we should all pencil in Spezza to get over 100 points in the NHL next year as well as Miller getting over 40 wins?

:biglaugh:

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Claypool said:
I guess we should all pencil in Spezza to get over 100 points in the NHL next year as well as Miller getting over 40 wins?

Um.. remember Malkin and Ovechkin... the two Russian stars in the World Junior Championship against wimpy Canadian Juniors? :biglaugh:

Nuff Said.

Tom

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Claypool said:

Carter has done all he could on the highest levels he has played. Look at his WJC numbers, his two time all tournament selections and his complete domination of the AHL playoffs. I'm not really sure what else you'd like him to do.

I also think you certainly underrate Carter's all around game. He was part of the #1 PK unit in the WJC (with Richards). He is also extremely strong on faceoffs and willing to battle in the corners. I too believe Malkin is the better prospect (not by too much though), but I don't think it's impossible that Carter becomes the better NHL player. I feel more comftorable with the guy who proved he can dominate "men" (albeit just 21 games) on north american ice then the guy who did it in the RSL, a league with a significantly different style of play.

PS: I don't think 85 points + is at all unrealistic for Spezza in the NHL this season.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
thomasincanada said:
Um.. remember Malkin and Ovechkin... the two Russian stars in the World Junior Championship against wimpy Canadian Juniors? :biglaugh:

Nuff Said.

Tom

surprisingly they were more successful against Canada's senior team at the Worlds :D

brodeur was in goal. jovo, redden and regehr on D

nuff said

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
roshiajin said:
surprisingly they were more successful against Canada's senior team at the Worlds :D

brodeur was in goal. jovo, redden and regehr on D

nuff said

Um.. didn't they still lose that if memory serves me correctly?

Tom

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
thomasincanada said:
Um.. didn't they still lose that if memory serves me?

Tom

yeah but they scored, and DOMINATED the Canadian defense. Russia's D sucked, no wonder why, but Ovy and Malkin were way better than in that WJC final

does this mean that Canada's WJC team is better than the one from the WHC05? :biglaugh:

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
roshiajin said:
yeah but they scored, and DOMINATED the Canadian defense. Russia's D sucked, no wonder why, but Ovy and Malkin were way better than in that WJC final

does this mean that Canada's WJC team is better than the one from the WHC05? :biglaugh:

I'm almost tempted to say yes on the last comment. It was at least the best team they could assemble given the restrictions - and the players gave a sh*t about the championship.

That's a more than I can say about the WHC team.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Claypool said:
Exactly. I can't imagine what Malkin's stats would be in the OHL, meanwhile Carter didn't exactly put up amazing numbers.

Carter's stock is WAY too high in my opinion. He had a great playoff run for the Phantoms and he played well at WJC's, but I don't think he is anywhere near the prospect that Malkin is.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
Claypool said:
I would completely disagree, while Malkin has better offensive skills I believe Carter is a better all around player at the moment and has proven himself. It will be fun to watch those two head to head for years to come. Malkin could be the next Forsberg, or the next Chistov, Svitov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->