Carter vs Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Brownov*

Let's say that Carter isn't signed by Philly in time and re-enters the next NHL entry draft.If you had first overall pick,would you stick with future star Crosby or go with the more ready,stronger future star Carter?Seeing that i'm still not sold on Crosby yet,I would go with the big J.Carter.

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I'd still take crosby number one , but Jeff Carter still is an ootstanding player, I highly doubt the flyers would ever let go of his rights...

Mr.Brownov*

For sure they wouldn't,but they do have to have him signed by a certain date,CBA or not.And without a new CBA,no players can be signed.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/hockey/11207761.htm

There are certain to be questions about these players when a new labor agreement is reached between the league and the players. In any new CBA, the rookies will be hit the hardest in terms of earnings limits.

Curran will argue that if the league can freeze the NHL rights for the teams that drafted them, then the players' rights also should be frozen and they should be signed under the terms of the last CBA. That likely will not happen. But it won't change the fact that Carter wants to be a Flyer, Curran said.

"I think we're all on the same page that he will eventually be a Flyer," he said

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Mr.Brownov said:
For sure they wouldn't,but they do have to have him signed by a certain date,CBA or not.And without a new CBA,no players can be signed.

There was a recent article that said that all teams would retain the rights to their prospects that had to be signed this year. They didn't really give much detail beyond that, but there have been a lot of rumors and questions regarding the 2004 class.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Mr.Brownov said:
Let's say that Carter isn't signed by Philly in time and re-enters the next NHL entry draft.If you had first overall pick,would you stick with future star Crosby or go with the more ready,stronger future star Carter?Seeing that i'm still not sold on Crosby yet,I would go with the big J.Carter.

Unless you had complete control over the team, no owner or management would let you get away with that. The very least you should do is trade the #1 pick to another team for the #2 pick and some players/draft picks if all you're going to do is pick Carter.

Don't get me wrong, Carter is awesome, and is probably a more "sure thing" then Crosby, but you'd be a fool to pass on someone with so much potential. The sky really is the limit with Crosby.

Tom

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
I would take Crosby without hesitation. Crosby has the potential to be an all-star player and to lead the league in points for many years. He is really spectacular. Carter might be a good player and a future nhl star but I doubt he will lead the league in points and be as spectacular as Crosby. That's why I would take Crosby.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I'd take Crosby. Carter is going to be a star in the NHL but Crosby is going to be a superstar and the face of the NHL for years to come. Carter would probably go in the top 5 for sure.

Mr.Brownov*

Thank you all for your opinions.I do like thomasincanada's post.I would trade down to #2,still taking Carter with some great picks and or prospects.In due time I might look at things differently.Anymore opinions are welcome.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I would take Crosby first overall without doubts anyway.
I'm not even sure I would take Carter second overall, I like very much both Brule and Johnson.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Carter is good but dont get carried away people.

He is being overrated because of the World Juniors. Why isnt Getzlaf getting the same type of hype??

Carter and Getzlaf will be 60 pt NHLers...Crosby could double that.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Carter is good but dont get carried away people.

He is being overrated because of the World Juniors. Why isnt Getzlaf getting the same type of hype??

Carter and Getzlaf will be 60 pt NHLers...Crosby could double that.

Pretty much the same way I feel. Though I think Getzlaf will put up more points than that.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Carter would absolutely go third at the latest.

I could see a team taking Johnson over him. Crosby I would take over him.

However no way Brule goes before him in my oppinion. Carter has proved far too much already. If it was the Leafs picking, I'd go Crosby, then Carter. However, I'd also consider swapping with the team with the #2 pick for some big payoff (a first in 2006, and a later pick in 2005, maybe a 3rd/4th) and taking Carter at #2. As much as Crosby is almost a sure thing, I can't get over my fear of his size, and Carter is almost as sure of a thing as they come.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Why do you people think re-entries never get picked high? Because teams have this crazy obsession with going for the younger players.

Carter may be a top 5 pick but no team would take him over Brule or Johnson.

Youre talking silly. Step back for a second and realize what you are saying.

Brule and Johnson are franchise players...Carter is a good player, a poor mans Mats Sundin. Good player but not a franchise player.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I would take Crosby, and I still wouldn't pick Carter with the next pick. I think he could fall to a 4-5 pick actually.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Mr.Brownov said:
Mr. Brownov,What do you mean that Carter is more ready than crosby?

Mr.Brownov*

pei fan said:
Mr. Brownov,What do you mean that Carter is more ready than crosby?
Well due to his age,he's played more seasons in the CHL and tournament(WJC).And had a taste of pro playoffs in the AHL.Has attended Philly's training camps if not once,twice.And he's obviously more mature than a 17 year old Sid.Thats all...

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Le Golie said:
Nothing lacks class like changing someone's comment and quote it to make it look like they said something they didn't.
It shouldn't be allowed really.No way.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Mr.Brownov said:
Well due to his age,he's played more seasons in the CHL and tournament(WJC).And had a taste of pro playoffs in the AHL.Has attended Philly's training camps if not once,twice.And he's obviously more mature than a 17 year old Sid.Thats all...

That's true enough, but Sid did do pretty freaking well in his one WJC, and didn't he go to a camp last year too? Tryin to remember....the kings?

It's hard to say who is more ready, I think. I mean there's more proof that Carter is ready, I fully admit that. But on the other hand, Crosby has proven himself to be easily ready to move on past the Q, and he proved himself pretty thoroughly at the WJCs. He's obviously ready to move up a level, whether that means he's ready for the bigs or not I don't think anyone can know.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Mr.Brownov said:
I think the reason GM's are drooling is that he is plaing
way beyond his years and that he already has skills that are at a superstar NHL
level.I'm sure Carter is very mature but I don't think it's reasonable to say he's
obviously more mature than a 17 year old Sidney.This kid has been on his own from
a young age and he's been a superstar for quite awhile too.He's handled the hoopla
and everything else extremely well.

I don't really think some of you guys understand how good this kid is going to be the first time he steps on the ice in the NHl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad