GDT: cartbl

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Skinner was actually trending the right direction the last 2 seasons.

As for this season:
giphy.gif

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
At least the Oilers are probably going to lose again. That's what you get for taking McDavid from a real market.

I just don't understand that team. Handed all these top 5 picks including 4 #1 picks and they still can't figure it out even after making the playoffs last season. I actually had them pegged as a likely Western Conference winner before this season started but holy shit I'm quite happy to be wrong on that one :laugh:

We've never picked higher than #5 since our last playoff appearance so the results as sad as they are, are not terribly surprising. What's their excuse?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I just don't understand that team. Handed all these top 5 picks including 4 #1 picks and they still can't figure it out even after making the playoffs last season. I actually had them pegged as a likely Western Conference winner this summer but holy **** I'm quite happy to be wrong on that one :laugh:

We've never picked higher than #5 since our last playoff appearance so the results as sad as they are, are not terribly surprising. What's their excuse?
Peter Chiarelli is a complete dope. Just another in Edmonton's long line of dopes.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I can't be too mad about tonight. I expected us to lose, but at least we didn't get killed.

+1 moral victory

Pretty much. Getting a point here and there was really the goal for the first half of January (ie: simply surviving).

They've not exactly done that, but luckily its not hurt them too much in the standings.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Remember the debate about Skinner not being named captain? "The guy who cares", 'the guy that steps up and puts the team on his back", "the guy that is passionate and just wants to win", etc... It's about time that Skinner shows up. He's been fairly anemic offensively (2 goals the last 15 games), he's been a disaster defensively, and his decision making has been poor.

Williams hasn't been much better. 2 Goals and 6 assists in his last 18 games and a number of brain farts on the ice.

Our goaltending isn't good enough and the system they play is prone to allowing good scoring chances against if it's not executed perfectly so the team cannot win consistently without those two guys showing up.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I can’t get over how unbelievably terrible Skinner and Ryan are when together in their own zone and that the coaching staff still feels the need to play them together. Lindholm probably was thinking every Swedish curse word the entire time he was on the ice last night.

I know +/- is a very imperfect stat, but when you start in the offensive zone 68.5% of the time (7th in the entire league) and you are on the ice for 19 more goals against than for at even strength you are playing terribly or play for the Sabres or Coyotes. He seems to have reverted back to his 18-20 year old self defensively after really turning a corner the last few years. He’s playing defense like Ovechkin but not scoring, which is to say, he’s been almost useless since October.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I've been on this train of thought for about a month...I think I typed out some words here regarding that possibility, maybe not. To me, he's the expendable piece that allows you to get a #1 C now, rather than any defenseman.

I don’t see who would trade a 1C for him though. He can’t be used in anything but an offense only role, and he hasn’t even been any good at that recently.

That’s why it’s so damn hard to trade him, because you only want to when he’s playing like shit. When he’s playing well (or at least scoring) he’s too valuable to move.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Skinner almost looks like's he's given up at times, other than when trying to get a shot off. When that pass hit him in the skates, he didn't even attempt to stop and turn the other way until he was far past where the puck was left and it turned into an odd man rush. At this point, pretty much everybody on the team, except for a couple of guys should be on the table to improve this team if the right deal is there.

My view is except for Aho, Slavin, Hanifin, Necas, and maybe Staal and TT should be available for the right deal. Pesce and TVR probably don't make sense because they are likely more valuable than what we'd get in return.

Anybody else should be in play for a deal that improves the team. I'm not in the "make a move just to make a move" camp though. I'm also not convinced Peter's system is the right one though for the personnel we have. I think if it's played perfectly, it works very well, but not sure we have the talent to play it perfectly on a consistent basis. Those very tight gaps and constant, aggressive pinches do lead to better possession, but risk the odd man rushes and breakaways.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Remember the debate about Skinner not being named captain? "The guy who cares", 'the guy that steps up and puts the team on his back", "the guy that is passionate and just wants to win", etc... It's about time that Skinner shows up. He's been fairly anemic offensively (2 goals the last 15 games), he's been a disaster defensively, and his decision making has been poor.

Williams hasn't been much better. 2 Goals and 6 assists in his last 18 games and a number of brain farts on the ice.

Our goaltending isn't good enough and the system they play is prone to allowing good scoring chances against if it's not executed perfectly so the team cannot win consistently without those two guys showing up.

Maybe he’s tanking to force an EStaal like exit because he wasn’t named captain ?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Probably he's just in a funk for some reason. He's always been a streaky goal scorer.

To be clear, I don't want to see Skinner traded as I think he'll get hot again and start putting the puck in the net. I'm only saying I don't think there should be many guys that are off the table completely.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
This season from Skinner reminds me of his first season under Bill Peters. There's something about his game that just feels different this year than last. Almost like coach has changed the way he's utilized offensively. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but watching Skinner this year in the offensive zone hasn't felt right. Maybe it's not the coach and it's just him, I don't know. But the Canes do seem to be playing a bit different this year than last and I feel like it's taken away from Skinner's game some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->