Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
With even average goaltending, it could easily have been 3-0 Edmonton. Not that I expect average goaltending from Campbell though, ha ha.

These games have been close. Edmonton almost stole a win in game 1 (Vancouver deserved that win though, both goalies almost lost it for their team). Vancouver stole one that Edmonton deserved to win in game 3. That's playoff hockey though, close games with small things making the difference.
I mean if the Oilers wanted average goaltending then they should have gone out and acquired average goaltending in the off season. No one should be surprised that Skinner isn’t playing great as he was just as bad last playoffs. The only real surprise is Silovs but I don’t think he was great in game 1 or 2. Definitely stepped it up in game 3 though.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
that kind of slash happens all the time. If Soucy had just left it as a whack back (which he did give him) it wouldn't have been an issue. He didn't, and Russian Shrek decided that McDavid had lingered in his swamp for too long, so here we are.
That slash after the game has ended doesn’t routinely happen. Most games just end without any issue. I’m not sure why this is even at issue.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Haven’t read any of thread, just jumping in with this. Hopefully isn’t redundant.
They were behind the net trading slashes...Do they consider that he was already starting to deliver his cross check when Zadorov came in and cross checked McDavid from behind, knocking him down as Soucy’s stick was coming in. That caused the head shot, Soucy obviously wasn’t targeting his head with his cross check.

This is what anyone with a modicum of common sense sees.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It does. It's no different than all of the other light slashes that every team uses in the playoffs that doesn't get called.

You probably shouldn't try to call anyone out for hyperbole when you are using it as egregiously as anyone else.
You realize this happened after the game had finished.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It warms my heart that the rest of the league's fans sees what a whiny child McDavid.

Meanwhile, f*** the NHL for playing favourites, lmao. Marchand got sucker punched in the head with no hearing.
The rest of the leagues fans have always, always called superstars on other teams whiny, sissies, cryers, etc. As a Canuck fan, you'd think you would have remembered how the Sedins were talked about.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
This is the most ridiculous post ever. The Oilers are the NHL's favourite franchise? In what world?

Speaking of pansiest things ever, did you see how many people are complaining about a slash on a guy's hockey pants?
I’m just glad you learnt where a shin is, just trying to educate you a bit.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So, to be clear, you think McDavid’s slash happens dozens of times a game? And you are of sound mind?

You really think that guys don’t swat at each other with their sticks after the play is over as part of a scrum activity? And often it doesn’t get called?

Really?

I’m beyond amazed. It’s like you’re watching a completely different sport.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That slash after the game has ended doesn’t routinely happen. Most games just end without any issue. I’m not sure why this is even at issue.
Most games aren't heated, tight, second round divisional playoff games. That type of slash happens post whistle, if not post game, a dozen times a game at least.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Big baseball swing. Lol.

Where’s the hyperbole now?

In another hundred posts you’ll be calling him Conan the Barbarian.

Soucy got slashed in the pants and Soucy slashed him back.

Then Zadorov hit him from behind and McDavid buckled, then Soucy cross checked him in the face.

The reason it won’t be more serious is because it was part of a scrum and it was pretty clear that Soucy’s intent was not to target the face.

It was the end result though which is why the league is looking at it.

So if you are saying that their was no intent to target the face, and the end result was McDavid bouncing right back up, uninjured, why would there be the need for supplemental discipline? Soucy was the only player to get a penalty on the play at ice level. It was a nothing burger of a play - that is getting excessive media and league wide attention due to the player involved.

Reactions: Artemi Panarin

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good thing the Oilers made the call to the league!
Ken Holland has less pull than a corgi attached to a dogsled. He can call the league all he wants, nobody gives a shit what he says. He hasn't influenced a thing as Oiler GM despite allegedly being one of the most respected men in hockey.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Love the response from the Oiler players when McDavid gets in a scrum at the end. There’s a close knit team that stands up for each other including their meal ticket. 😆
I wonder what the response of the old Oilers teams would be if Gretzky got in a scrum?

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Oilers are such a joke of a team. Miller, Zadorov, Myers, Joshua, Soucy all running around targetting McBaby and Dry Eyes + co and they have no answers for all of them. Obviously the NHL has to help them out because they can’t have their favourite franchise lose to an underdog and their golden boy being touched.

This iteration of Oilers are the most pansiest I’ve ever seen.
Kane tried to reply but Zadorov swatted him away like a fly.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
There are a few differences.

Soucy’s was a retaliatory act whereas Riellly instigated it after Greig scored a goal.

And technically the game wasn’t over, there was still time left because the clock stops when an EN goal
Is scored.

I see these being very similar.

They are both retaliatory acts.

Sorry, the issue a lot of (sens) fans had with the play was it was after the whistle (5 seconds left in the decided game). No real deference here. Both games were over.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I mean if the Oilers wanted average goaltending then they should have gone out and acquired average goaltending in the off season. No one should be surprised that Skinner isn’t playing great as he was just as bad last playoffs. The only real surprise is Silovs but I don’t think he was great in game 1 or 2. Definitely stepped it up in game 3 though.
You're speaking to the choir on this one my friend.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Then I don't know maybe the coach is the problem you could pull Skinner earlier you realize. Campbell the guy that sucked so bad was sent to minors?
Campbell didn't suck worse than Skinner with Woodcroft coaching. Both were equally bad. Campbell was waived to change things up and was never tried with new coach and new defensive strategy.

Skinner could've been pulled after the 3rd goal if not after period 1. Even I'm 3rd Oilers had plenty of time for a comeback. It was a good game with Oilers fighting til the end. The issue here is the assault after the final buzzer .. I don't think many saw what happened to McDavid otherwise the bench could have cleared if McD stayed down on the ice and replays of that play shown.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
You really think that guys don’t swat at each other with their sticks after the play is over as part of a scrum activity? And often it doesn’t get called?

Really?

I’m beyond amazed. It’s like you’re watching a completely different sport.
One heck of a “swat” here

Soucy should be suspended the rest of the series for his own safety.
Who’s going to retaliate? Janmark? Nuge?

Attachments

• IMG_8279.jpeg
    IMG_8279.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Artemi Panarin

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Oilers are such a joke of a team. Miller, Zadorov, Myers, Joshua, Soucy all running around targetting McBaby and Dry Eyes + co and they have no answers for all of them. Obviously the NHL has to help them out because they can’t have their favourite franchise lose to an underdog and their golden boy being touched.

This iteration of Oilers are the most pansiest I’ve ever seen.
There is something to be said about the old fashioned dedicated enforcers on the team that protect the star players. Not to say that a Marty McSorley would have made a difference here, but pretty amazed how McDavid was surrounded by Canucks and only after the cross check did his teammates jump in. Maybe it was just bad timing but I don't recall too many instances where opponent teams were able to do this to Gretzky back in the day.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So if you are saying that their was no intent to target the face, and the end result was McDavid bouncing right back up, uninjured, why would there be the need for supplemental discipline? Soucy was the only player to get a penalty on the play at ice level. It was a nothing burger of a play - that is getting excessive media and league wide attention due to the player involved.

I don’t think it’s a nothing burger of a play when the stick makes contact with the face as the result of a cross check after the play is over.

The fact that he isn’t injured will likely mitigate the league’s response, as will the fact that he didn’t deliberately target the head.

If McDavid had swung his stick and Soucy had fallen forward and he’d been hit in the face, would that be a nothing burger?

Of course not.

You are still responsible for your stick, and hitting a guy in a vulnerable place is going to get looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad