Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah nothing screams elite playoff goalie like Campbell and Pickard. 😆
With even average goaltending, it could easily have been 3-0 Edmonton. Not that I expect average goaltending from Campbell though, ha ha.

These games have been close. Edmonton almost stole a win in game 1 (Vancouver deserved that win though, both goalies almost lost it for their team). Vancouver stole one that Edmonton deserved to win in game 3. That's playoff hockey though, close games with small things making the difference.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
It warms my heart that the rest of the league's fans sees what a whiny child McDavid.

Meanwhile, f*** the NHL for playing favourites, lmao. Marchand got sucker punched in the head with no hearing.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
Well I hope Nucks get these 'weak' 2 handed chops from behind when they are least suspecting it ..
After a period would be even better...

Watch the 'tap' again without Homer glasses on.
I saw it live, it was weak just like McDavids two handed swing to Soucy was weak, it wasn't bad at all. Hell I didn't think Kanes knee to Hughes was bad and refs let a lot of crap go that game. But the nut slash was a lot worse, the high stick by McDavid was a double minor and worse. McDavid has dished out harder cross checks to the backs of opponents than Zadorovs. I bet if that was McDavid and Hyman double tapping Hughes to the face you be saying the exact same thing that I'm saying.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
And there is a reason why Silov is playing ahead of the other goalie. He was the 2nd best nuck vs NSH and doing pretty good this series.. Demko isn't any better than what Silov gave
Very true. I think Silov has definitely positively contributed to a nice contract over the horizon. Sometimes goaltenders coming into the playoffs unexpectedly due to the starter goalie getting injured end up becoming the better (and many times the long term) option.

I am old and my memory is bad, but isn't this how Vasilevsky ended up being the starter, because Ben Bishop got injured? And he hasn't looked back since. I could be wrong on this comparison, but I think it was something like that.

Silov has defined many of our expectations. I thought with Demko being out, that the commensurate Canucks' chances just went out the door as well. Glad Silov has proven me wrong.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
There’s a difference between cross checking a guy in the back of the head after he scores a goal, and accidentally cross checking a guy in the face after he slashes you with his stick and your teammate hits him from behind.

I expect less than what Rielly got.
yeah, but you take your victim as the come. Vancouver has been playing on the edge, Zad in particular it was a just a matter of time until supplemental discipline got involved on Vancouver.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
All this nonsense could be avoided if the league were a normal league where after the whistle "extracurriculars" were punished severely as a matter of course (as is the case in most other sports). As it is, every time someone is suspended for that kind of thing - as they should, if you ask me, his team's fans can point out a myriad of similar cases where there was no punishment.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just a reminder that you said the type of slash happens dozens of times in a game. Again, that’s a ridiculous statement, and I assume you know that but for whatever reason are not willing to just concede your initial statement was a huge hyperbole and move on.

I don’t recall a big base ball swing slash after the game ending happening even once in any Canucks game this season. The idea that this happens frequently is a joke.
that kind of slash happens all the time. If Soucy had just left it as a whack back (which he did give him) it wouldn't have been an issue. He didn't, and Russian Shrek decided that McDavid had lingered in his swamp for too long, so here we are.

Reactions: NyQuil

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Big baseball swing. Lol.

Where’s the hyperbole now?
This. The number of people using the term "baseball swing" and "lumberjacking" for a light slash on the hip that Soucy probably barely felt, if he felt it at all, is pretty ridiculous. Anyone who has worn hockey pants in their life knows that a light slash like that didn't do any damage.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Very true. I think Silov has definitely positively contributed to a nice contract over the horizon. Sometimes goaltenders coming into the playoffs unexpectedly due to the starter goalie getting injured end up becoming the better (and many times the long term) option.

I am old and my memory is bad, but isn't this how Vasilevsky ended up being the starter, because Ben Bishop got injured? And he hasn't looked back since. I could be wrong on this comparison, but I think it was something like that.

Silov has defined many of our expectations. I thought with Demko being out, that the commensurate Canucks' chances just went out the door as well. Glad Silov has proven me wrong.
Silov has been amazing these playoffs. I do agree that I don't think the series is any different if Demko had started instead.

Silov looked weak in game 1 but has gotten better every game. Hes legit being shelled and coming out on top.

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
Marchy was jabbing at the Sedins in a scrum mid game, which was normal 13 years ago, hardly the same thing. Hell that happens in playoff games even today.

Bennett should have got something for that as well, I been saying the same thing about him. It was a garbage play with intent to injure. But using your stick to hurt another player, especially after the game is over, cross check in the face ? Easy suspension.
Marchand also low-bridged Sedin and got nothing for it, which was complete BS.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just a reminder that you said the type of slash happens dozens of times in a game. Again, that’s a ridiculous statement, and I assume you know that but for whatever reason are not willing to just concede your initial statement was a huge hyperbole and move on.

I don’t recall a big base ball swing slash after the game ending happening even once in any Canucks game this season. The idea that this happens frequently is a joke.
It does. It's no different than all of the other light slashes that every team uses in the playoffs that doesn't get called.

You probably shouldn't try to call anyone out for hyperbole when you are using it as egregiously as anyone else.

Mafic

Oct 2, 2007
BC
Lots of BS takes here.

Soucy pushes McDavid. That’s not a crosscheck.
McDavid takes a 2 handed at Soucy’s thigh. Not his shin pad, it was well above the knee. Not a love tap, but also not an attempt to break his leg.
Soucy returns a similar to slightly harder slash to what appears to be a similar part of McDavid’s anatomy (hard to tell where from camera angle).
McDavid holds his left hand up to… I have no idea. Waggle his finger? Make peace? Move to push Soucy? Says something.
Soucy loads up to actually cross check the chest.
Zadorov strolls in with a crosscheck that lands and knocks McDavid over.
Soucy’s cross check lands at the same height it was aimed, but now that’s McDavid’s face/neck.

Personally I feel that McDavid was stupid for escalating (I suspect Vancouver was more than ready to find a payback opportunity after McDavid cut Hughes Game 2, and McDavid gave them ample opportunity to take it), and that Zadorov was stupid for the reverse crosscheck, and that the league will make Soucy pay a price after the Bennett fiasco for PR reasons.

But nobody is blameless in what happened, stop making martyrs.
This is how I saw it as well.

As the buzzer goes, Soucy is engaging McDavid behind the net.

1. Soucy pushes McDavid
1.png

2. Off balance, McDavid winds up for a slash
2.png

3. McDavid follows through with the slash to Soucy's leg with some force, but clearly held back from what he could have done.
3.png

4. Soucy responds with a chop to McDavid's leg.
4.png

5. Soucy continues the scrum by winding up for a crosscheck to McDavid's chest. Meanwhile, Zadorov takes exception to seeing his partner slashed after the buzzer and gives McDavid a crosscheck from behind.
It appears Soucy's original crosscheck was heading toward the white horizontal stripe on McDavid's jersey.
5.png

6. McDavid, not expecting a check to the back, crumples as Soucy throws his crosscheck. Soucy's crosscheck appears to connect around the chin/neck.
1715618190116.png

Ultimately, this feels like an unfortunate series of events in a scrum after the buzzer. I think McDavid and Soucy's actions are kind of a wash in playoff hockey. If you slash a guy after the buzzer, expect physical retribution. I expect the refs may have taken both players if this happened during play.
Zadorov as the 3rd man in is the problem. His crosscheck to McDavid's back is certainly worth a penalty, and he has been fined as a result.

For a suspension to be warranted, I would want to see an intentional crosscheck aimed at McDavid's chin/neck. McDavid falling while Soucy is throwing a crosscheck at McDavid's chest happens in less than a second, so I think you have to give Soucy a bit of the benefit of the doubt here.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Haven’t read any of thread, just jumping in with this. Hopefully isn’t redundant.
They were behind the net trading slashes...Do they consider that he was already starting to deliver his cross check when Zadorov came in and cross checked McDavid from behind, knocking him down as Soucy’s stick was coming in. That caused the head shot, Soucy obviously wasn’t targeting his head with his cross check.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers are such a joke of a team. Miller, Zadorov, Myers, Joshua, Soucy all running around targetting McDavid and Draisaitl and they have no answers for all of them. Obviously the NHL has to help them out because they can’t have their favourite franchise lose to an underdog and their golden boy being touched.

This iteration of Oilers are the most pansiest I’ve ever seen.
This is the most ridiculous post ever. The Oilers are the NHL's favourite franchise? In what world?

Speaking of pansiest things ever, did you see how many people are complaining about a slash on a guy's hockey pants?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Big baseball swing. Lol.

Where’s the hyperbole now?

In another hundred posts you’ll be calling him Conan the Barbarian.

Soucy got slashed in the pants and Soucy slashed him back.

Then Zadorov hit him from behind and McDavid buckled, then Soucy cross checked him in the face.

The reason it won’t be more serious is because it was part of a scrum and it was pretty clear that Soucy’s intent was not to target the face.

It was the end result though which is why the league is looking at it.
So, to be clear, you think McDavid’s slash happens dozens of times a game? And you are of sound mind?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Oilers are such a joke of a team. Miller, Zadorov, Myers, Joshua, Soucy all running around targetting McBaby and Dry Eyes + co and they have no answers for all of them. Obviously the NHL has to help them out because they can’t have their favourite franchise lose to an underdog and their golden boy being touched.

This iteration of Oilers are the most pansiest I’ve ever seen.
the Oilers were 21st in PP opportunities this year...but the NHL wants to help us out
lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pushing and shoving happens after every whistle in the playoffs. Refs let a lot go so of course it will escalate. McDavid could have skated away but chose to engage. Probably didn't deserve the shot to the face but it is what it is. I don't think there should be anything, honestly, but if I'm the league I do tell the refs to tighten it up a bit. If there has to be something, 1 game max. That's just not a playoff suspension.

If that's on Janmark or Ryan, this isn't even a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad