Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Lots of BS takes here.

Soucy pushes McDavid. That’s not a crosscheck.
McDavid takes a 2 handed at Soucy’s thigh. Not his shin pad, it was well above the knee. Not a love tap, but also not an attempt to break his leg.
Soucy returns a similar to slightly harder slash to what appears to be a similar part of McDavid’s anatomy (hard to tell where from camera angle).
McDavid holds his left hand up to… I have no idea. Waggle his finger? Make peace? Move to push Soucy? Says something.
Soucy loads up to actually cross check the chest.
Zadorov strolls in with a crosscheck that lands and knocks McDavid over.
Soucy’s cross check lands at the same height it was aimed, but now that’s McDavid’s face/neck.

Personally I feel that McDavid was stupid for escalating (I suspect Vancouver was more than ready to find a payback opportunity after McDavid cut Hughes Game 2, and McDavid gave them ample opportunity to take it), and that Zadorov was stupid for the reverse crosscheck, and that the league will make Soucy pay a price after the Bennett fiasco for PR reasons.

But nobody is blameless in what happened, stop making martyrs.
Before the "push", there was a crosscheck to McDavid's rib. @0:10

Everyone knows that area doesn't have much padding

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Lots of BS takes here.

Soucy pushes McDavid. That’s not a crosscheck.
McDavid takes a 2 handed at Soucy’s thigh. Not his shin pad, it was well above the knee. Not a love tap, but also not an attempt to break his leg.
Soucy returns a similar to slightly harder slash to what appears to be a similar part of McDavid’s anatomy (hard to tell where from camera angle).
McDavid holds his left hand up to… I have no idea. Waggle his finger? Make peace? Move to push Soucy? Says something.
Soucy loads up to actually cross check the chest.
Zadorov strolls in with a crosscheck that lands and knocks McDavid over.
Soucy’s cross check lands at the same height it was aimed, but now that’s McDavid’s face/neck.

Personally I feel that McDavid was stupid for escalating (I suspect Vancouver was more than ready to find a payback opportunity after McDavid cut Hughes Game 2, and McDavid gave them ample opportunity to take it), and that Zadorov was stupid for the reverse crosscheck, and that the league will make Soucy pay a price after the Bennett fiasco for PR reasons.

But nobody is blameless in what happened, stop making martyrs.
Listen bud they have different rules for different players

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This Oilers team is soft as butter. Kane gets embarassed and destroyed and nearly gets put into the first row by Zadorov. Then their best player gets beatdown by Soucy and where's the Oilers response? Zero pushback from this squad.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Weapon? Holy hyperbole Batman!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just a heads-up..

One is not like the other.
Try taking a 2hander to your back and as you are falling forward take a 2 hander of graphite to your face...
Then tell me what's worse.. that or getting jumped from behind (Bert) or a stick to the face (mcsorely/brashear)

Just because there was no injury doesn't mean it wasn't vicious.. McDavid or not it was a bad play.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Whether accidental or not, the end result was a cross-check to the face.

I see slashes like McDavid’s dozens of times a game. You don’t see a cross check to the face like that very often.

I have less sympathy for Soucy seeing as it was his own teammate hitting McDavid from behind that put him into the vulnerable position.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Before the "push", there was a crosscheck to McDavid's rib. @0:10

The defenseman engaged two Edmonton players during play after the puck was played, which o consider 100% legitimate, not sure what you’re talking about otherwise. I don’t consider the move that pushed McDavid back at the start to be a crosscheck, certainly nothing to legitimize the slash.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It’s hard to watch that play and come out of it thinking Soucy should be the only one punished. If you want to suspend Soucy then suspend McDavid. You can’t go around two hand base ball style slashing people without any consequences.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This Oilers team is soft as butter. Kane gets embarassed and destroyed and nearly gets put into the first row by Zadorov. Then their best player gets beatdown by Soucy and where's the Oilers response? Zero pushback from this squad.
Hard to respond when the supposed 'beatdown' on mcdavid happens after the game. Not sure beatdown is used for 2 handed crosscheck ... more of an assault

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
This seems like Zadorov’s fault but definitely not suspension worthy. The crosscheck to the face doesn’t happen without Zadorov’s crosscheck from behind. The two “baseball swings” were nothing. 2 minutes each if that happens in the middle of a game. A bunch of 2 minute penalties when things get chippy at the end of the game but nothing suspension worthy IMO

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
If Soucy is suspended I wouldn't mind seeing if Aaron Rome is available for the next game. Then we can show McBaby a good time.
Yeah we heard this would happen with big Z before this series. McDavid ends up just skating circles around these pylons. Or they go for a big hit like Soucy and end up giving up a breakaway goal. Please keep icing these plugs.

The biggest concern here for the canucks is Soucy just put a big target on Hughes for next game.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A two handed slash after the game is a lot. McDavid initiated it and should accept the consequences.
I mean, we've seen some homerish statements before, but come on Orca.

Slashes are nearly always 2 handed. It didn't look like there was much force behind it, and it was directed to the hip area, so there was clearly no intent to injure - its not like he went for a knee or the ankles with the slash. McDavid was responding to being pushed after the game. Probably shouldn't have done it, but a light slash on the hip isn't worthy of either a cross check in the back (Zadorov) or in the face (Soucy).

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
It’s hard to watch that play and come out of it thinking Soucy should be the only one punished. If you want to suspend Soucy then suspend McDavid. You can’t go around two hand base ball style slashing people without any consequences.
Ah yes, a crosscheck to the face = weak slash to the shinpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad