Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
@0;24. it starts with Soucy crosschecking McDavid at his rib and then another crosscheck after the whisper when the game ended. McDavid retaliated with a swing. Soucy retaliated with the same swing, Zadorov crosscheck to the back of McDavid and Soucy crosscheck McDavid to the head.

This doesn't fit the narrative of the Oilers haters at all. It's because McDavid is special, that's all!

Reactions: Canovin

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is a run of the mill scuffle with two important distinctions

-One of the players loses balance and falls face first into another player's stick

-That player is McDavid

If this plays happens in the second period, it's offsetting penalties to Zadorov and McDavid and that's the end of it.

Zadorov sees a player taking liberties on his guy and he's already skating in. He's going to take that shot and most NHLers would.

If you had to rank the two minute minor worthy offenses into most worthy of discipline I could see ranking either McDavid (the instigator) or Zadorov (the finisher) at the top. Soucy is obviously a distant third, so it's typical of the NHL to give him a hearing just because the other guy is McDavid

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Looks like he was trying for a 'normal' crosscheck and McDavid fell into a head hit. Usually the NHL would use that as an excuse to not come down hard on the aggressor but since it was against McDavid who knows.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Is no one else concerned about the sniper that obviously took McD out and caused him to crumble into the crosscheck? I would say he/she is most at fault for this series of events.
There is the expected level of biased stupidity in this thread, and then someone takes it to a new level. I have no dog in this fight, but you'd have to be really off to think McDavid's reaction to the Zadorov cross check is faked.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
I’m so tired of guessing which rules are going to be enforced. I see this as being as egregious as the Bennett punch and the Ryan spear. Why do the other two go free and Soucy gets suspended? Because it’s McDavid? Is it open season on people not named McDavid?

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
This is going to be a bad look for the league if they dish out a suspension.

It'll be like when the spoiled rich kid finally gets let out of the house to play with some friends, inevitably gets hurt and the overbearing parents never let them play again.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I’m so tired of guessing which rules are going to be enforced. I see this as being as egregious as the Bennett punch and the Ryan spear. Why do the other two go free and Soucy gets suspended? Because it’s McDavid? Is it open season on people not named McDavid?
Yes it's cause it's him.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Oilers fan through and through here, but I think both sides at at fault here, and definitely context is important.

If Zadorov had not cross checked McDavid, he would not have gone down to the point where Soucy subsequently cross checks him in the head. Probably would have been in the chest, which is still not great. But still, McDavid's slash on a non hockey play did not help and probably incited what was probably an avoidable series of events (or maybe not). So I think accountability has to be spread on both sides here.

As much as I like McDavid, I think he has tarnished a bit of his reputation with the whining in these playoffs. I say this as an Oilers fan that can overlook some things, but certainly I am more of a fan of the integrity of the game than any one team or player.

I remember I felt the same way at the beginning of Crosby's career when he was whining to the refs about everything. Over time he matured and his play has as well and despite McDavid being uniquely skilled on the ice, I am hoping he too can mature over time, in this area as well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I said "this playoffs". Nice lack of reading comprehension.

Bennett cold clocks Marchand and the league doesn't care. But McBaby starts a scrum? OH NO! Suspend everybody!!!!

Also if you want this series, one of the Oiler bums literally whacked Hoglander in the nuts as he's going to change. Way dirtier than anything McSoftie had to deal with. I guess you'd agree Soucy should've slashed McDavid in the balls? That's clean right?
No one saw the sucker punch on Marchand and even then with gloves on it was as bad as getting a cross check to face getting your neck snapped back after being shoved forward and going down from a suspendable crosscheck from an unsuspecting goon after the final buzzer

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
McD starts stuff & the league steps in.

Unfortunate play with Zadorov pushing him. Soucy wouldn't have hit him in the head otherwise.
Soucy crosschecked him right after the game ended which initiated it all. McDavid still takes the crosscheck to the head and his head barely drops before Soucy makes contact. He's at least taking a crosscheck to the throat if Z doesn't touch him.

You just know Kane is going to give it right back to Hughes or Pettersson if there is no suspension. That also just opens the door for a complete shitshow next game so I'm leaning towards a suspension.

Reactions: Canovin

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Lots of BS takes here.

Soucy pushes McDavid. That’s not a crosscheck.
McDavid takes a 2 handed at Soucy’s thigh. Not his shin pad, it was well above the knee. Not a love tap, but also not an attempt to break his leg.
Soucy returns a similar to slightly harder slash to what appears to be a similar part of McDavid’s anatomy (hard to tell where from camera angle).
McDavid holds his left hand up to… I have no idea. Waggle his finger? Make peace? Move to push Soucy? Says something.
Soucy loads up to actually cross check the chest.
Zadorov strolls in with a crosscheck that lands and knocks McDavid over.
Soucy’s cross check lands at the same height it was aimed, but now that’s McDavid’s face/neck.

Personally I feel that McDavid was stupid for escalating (I suspect Vancouver was more than ready to find a payback opportunity after McDavid cut Hughes Game 2, and McDavid gave them ample opportunity to take it), and that Zadorov was stupid for the reverse crosscheck, and that the league will make Soucy pay a price after the Bennett fiasco for PR reasons.

But nobody is blameless in what happened, stop making martyrs.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
This is a run of the mill scuffle with two important distinctions

-One of the players loses balance and falls face first into another player's stick

-That player is McDavid

If this plays happens in the second period, it's offsetting penalties to Zadorov and McDavid and that's the end of it.

Zadorov sees a player taking liberties on his guy and he's already skating in. He's going to take that shot and most NHLers would.

If you had to rank the two minute minor worthy offenses into most worthy of discipline I could see ranking either McDavid (the instigator) or Zadorov (the finisher) at the top. Soucy is obviously a distant third, so it's typical of the NHL to give him a hearing just because the other guy is McDavid

Loses balance lol.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
@0;10. it starts with Soucy crosschecking McDavid at his rib and then another crosscheck where McDavid was able to block it after the whisper when the game ended. McDavid retaliated with a swing. Soucy retaliated with the same swing, Zadorov crosscheck to the back of McDavid and Soucy crosscheck McDavid to the head.

That must have been one vicious whisper.

But as an impartial observer who has seen the clip several times on Facebook and not the clips posts here (because everyone seems to be getting it wrong) I have to side with the Oilers fans in this one.

Soucy shoves McDavid after the whistle and McDavid not wanting to look like a p***y gives him a slash to his padded upper thigh. Standard stuff.

Then Zadorov decks him from behind right into the already oncoming high cross check from Soucy and McDavid gets double doinked.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Has McDavid ever drawn a suspension before? You realise he plays for a Canadian market right?

Where is this reputation coming from, that McDavid somehow gets players suspended all the time?

Name the long list of suspensions for him to have this reputation.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This is going to be a bad look for the league if they dish out a suspension.

It'll be like when the spoiled rich kid finally gets let out of the house to play with some friends, inevitably gets hurt and the overbearing parents never let them play again.
Sure, league should let players handle this on ice.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Does it matter at all that McDavid is falling as the stick comes up? Clearly this wasn't aimed at the face. I'm not sad that it was, but that certainly wasn't where this crosscheck was headed.

No suspension. No fine. It's all well and good. We're the NHL, we allow cheapshots to the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad