Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Soucy, you silly goose. You're supposed to spear them in the nuts or sucker punch them in the face if you want to avoid a suspension.
Stick to the face causing others to bleed is okay too as long as your name is McDavid

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Protect all the stars not just the generational guys. The Oilers have taken liberties with Hughes on dirty plays and he’s the likely Norris winner and one of the most exciting players in the league.

Fair enough. I guess I kinda got a little jaded after seeing players continually target Draisaitls ankles.

So many people wanted the "self-policing" to go away....and now aren't happy with what we are left with. Guess that is why guys like Rempe do belong in the game.

Reactions: Video Nasty

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Where was the NHL on the intentional stick to the nuts on Hoglander?

Correct me if I am wrong but crosschecks to the face (almost) always lead to suspensions, sticks to the nuts only get suspended rarely.

But I think most importantly, when the NHL lets cheapshots against superstars go unpunished, it forces teams to take matters into their own hands the next game.... Isn't this how we ended up with the Bertuzi incident? The Canucks players likely don't care about Hoglander's nuts, but the Oilers goons care a lot about when things like this happen to McD....

IMO, the NHL is forced to intervene in this situation. Otherwise, if one team goes up 6-1 in game 4, we would probably have huge issues.

And as an Oilers fan, I think that Ryan should had been suspended for that dick move. But would anyone really care?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What he'll be checked to the ice after checking JT Miller to the ice?

Janmark hit him to the ice first and JT gave him some payback.
The NHL will likely talk to both teams and warn them after last nights game.
If the Oilers focus on retaliation then I like the Canucks chances even without Soucy.

Jun 25, 2021
I love how McDavid just dropped. Good to see a dirty team getting bullied like this then whining about it.

Reactions: steepdrop

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Isn't that what people wanted for years.....even before McDavid....was to protect its star players?

And now we complain about it?
I recall wanting every player protected from stupid injurious plays, and a desire for every official to call the same game for every team in every period in both regular season and playoffs. I do not recall a desire for an NBA style double tiered system for the stars vs the rest of the league, no.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Isn't that what people wanted for years.....even before McDavid....was to protect its star players?

And now we complain about it?
What about that requires protection?

Soucy didn't drill McDavid from behind into the boards when he was in a vulnerable position. He responded to McDavid slashing him. Taking disciplinary action wouldn't be protecting McDavid, it would be giving him a free pass to break the rules without consequence.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I recall wanting every player protected from stupid injurious plays, and a desire for every official to call the same game for every team in every period in both regular season and playoffs. I do not recall a desire for an NBA style double tiered system for the stars vs the rest of the league, no.
This. So much This.

If the precedent was that this is suspension worthy, that's fine. But the pick and choose application is a problem.
Today, because it involved McDavid, this gets a hearing.
Meanwhile, a Suckerpunch or even McDavid boarding Oduya gets nothing.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Best post in the thread imo.
Punish the act the same no matter who is the victim.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That's what I'm saying. Miller won't cower and play the victim. He will just respond proportionally and cleanly.
For sure, I got you. I like JT Miller a lot, I have a post history that reflects that and have had his back quite a bit on this site.
The NHL will likely talk to both teams and warn them after last nights game.
If the Oilers focus on retaliation then I like the Canucks chances even without Soucy.
I agree, I think that's why the suspension is likely, something the league can point to and say "we took care of it so you guys won't have to"

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Next man up! If Soucy gets suspended then Juulsen draws in.
Same with Demko and De Smith getting injured.
That’s why you have depth.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
So many people wanted the "self-policing" to go away....and now aren't happy with what we are left with. Guess that is why guys like Rempe do belong in the game.
The DoPS being a bunch of incompetents doesn't make self-policing any less of a placebo.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure why this would be a suspension. Unless they’re suggesting a cross check to the chest is worthy of a suspension considering the trajectory.

McDavid getting it in the head is just bad luck more than anything.
It is, but the league has suspended for reckless control of a stick on many occasions before even when the intent isn't there. If you don't want to risk suspension then don't throw a hard cross check up near a guy's shoulders there's always a risk it ramps up or in this case your teammate decides to cross check him from behind.

At this point you would think people would realize that there are consequences for actions in all aspects of life not just hockey and sometimes you're punished for doing something reckless even if the outcome wasn't your intent.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The craziest thing about this is that every Oilers player kept their gloves on throughout

That kind of shot on McDavid should have guys leaving the bench, embarrassing lack of fight by Edmonton

Reactions: nucks88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad