• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Squiddy said:
St Louis is established though because they have been in the NHL for how many years? Also people know that the blues have fan support, but they are uncertain about carolina only because the team is about 6 or 7 seasons old and already had a few bad seasons of attendance (although they were crap). I don't blame St Louis fans for not showing up. Infact they probably won't show up until the new owners take over and they know the team is worth the support because they are hardcore like that. People in carolina wouldn't show up if the team traded their biggest star and didn't want to sign someone because the current ownership doesn't care enough about the team competing.
hey squiddy - i agree with you - st louis is a mess -

SedinFan*

garnetpalmetto said:
Sure, let's move the Oilers to Portland. I'm sure they'd appreciate being more competitive there. :D

Actually they're usually around 98% capacity most nights.

Carolina hovers around 55-60%....

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Zack Attack said:

The oilers won't move because of attendance... no doubt. The only way would be if they were in financial woes and an american buys the team.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Zack Attack said:

55-60. Good job making up those numbers off the bat. Let's do some math.

Carolina Home Games thus far:

Pittsburgh - 18,787
Washington - 10,968
Ottawa - 12,116
Boston - 13,098
Philadelphia - 18,165

Total home attendance thus far: 73,134
Total number of home games thus far: 5
Average attendance per home game: ~14627

Total capacity of the RBC Center (per www.ballparks.com): 18,763
Average attendance as a percentage of capacity: 77.96%.

Looks like you're a bit off there.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Squiddy said:
CHRDANHUTCH said:
then stop dissing hockey Squid
How am I dissing hockey?

Don't worry about Hutch, Squid. While he is quite informed about matters concerning minor league hockey, some of his comments tend to be outta place.

You're not dissing hockey, just some of the markets the NHL plays in.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
AdmiralPred said:
His dislike of the Preds is because they are in a small market which means that they are doomed to fail, at 6-0-0-0 the Preds drew less than 80% capacity for the San Jose game on a Tennessee/Bama football Saturday, and Nashville beat out Houston, which is a much larger market than Nashville, back in '97 for an expansion team into the NHL.
He should dislike Minny or Columbus they beat out Houston not Nashville, If I remember Nashville was the 1st team chosen in expansion not the last!!!!

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Gnashville said:
He should dislike Minny or Columbus they beat out Houston not Nashville, If I remember Nashville was the 1st team chosen in expansion not the last!!!!

I don't dislike nashville I just question its viability for an NHL team. Columbus and Minnesota are traditional markets. Also they were all chosen at the same time in 97, but Nashville was the only one with the arena ready by 98 that's why you guys entered the league first; however, you weren't selected first.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
AdmiralPred said:
Don't worry about Hutch, Squid. While he is quite informed about matters concerning minor league hockey, some of his comments tend to be outta place.

You're not dissing hockey, just some of the markets the NHL plays in.

Excuse me, AdmiralPred, but Squid's whining about Hamilton vs. Toronto now (not the NHL) and How come the AHL didn't step in and exercise the territorial rights of the Bulldogs when Edmonton decided to put their franchise in Toronto and allowed Hamilton to continue with the dormant Citadelles affiliation since when is Hamilton considered an NHL Market, anyway?

Seems to me he's the one who needs to check up on his facts before he opens his mouths and whines about Winnipeg, Houston, Quebec, etc, GETTING FRANCHISES BACK.

As for Hamilton, there was a brief period of uncertainty when the transfer of franchises from Edmonton to Montreal commenced and there was a question if Hamilton was going to be run by the Canadiens or as it turned out run by a private ownership if the Citadelles were an active member when the idea of the Oilers landed in Toronto, the Bulldogs most likely wouldn't be operating today or the last 3 seasons, and Edmonton also is using Dallas' affiliate in Des Moines that sat dormant in the AHL for 4 seasons waiting for someone to come rescue that franchise from being a footnote in the history of the AHL.

Houston and Winnipeg have solid franchises, just NOT in the NHL, there are other professional leagues besides the 30 NHL teams ya know and so is Quebec, but like most former AHL Cities especially in the maritime provinces they opted for Junior franchises because the fans decreed they support those teams more so than the pro teams that were there before, again, economics dictated that, that's probably why the QMJHL is more of a presence now than they used to be, how come the Canadiens are the only major pro club in Quebec but their affiliate is now in Ontario?

MLSE and Toronto fans who saw the RoadRunners that season didn't get enough time to judge whether or not the RoadRunners would've been successful in Toronto but some complained the diehards said that team wasn't a Leafs team or affiliate, we still don't know if the Road Runners will ever be a success in the cities they've represented thus far, Sydney, NS (Cape Breton Oilers), Hamilton, Iowa, Toronto or Edmonton but they showed up when the RoadRunners played the Bulldogs in 2003-04.

Cape Breton for folks new here, is the organization that graduated the esteemed leader of the AHL David Andrews.

MLSE has 1 vote and 1 vote only on any decision involving a potential decision affecting Hamilton and the territorial rights between the two cities.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
CHRDANHUTCH said:
Excuse me, AdmiralPred, but Squid's whining about Hamilton vs. Toronto now (not the NHL) and How come the AHL didn't step in and exercise the territorial rights of the Bulldogs when Edmonton decided to put their franchise in Toronto and allowed Hamilton to continue with the dormant Citadelles affiliation since when is Hamilton considered an NHL Market, anyway?

Seems to me he's the one who needs to check up on his facts before he opens his mouths and whines about Winnipeg, Houston, Quebec, etc, GETTING FRANCHISES BACK.

As for Hamilton, there was a brief period of uncertainty when the transfer of franchises from Edmonton to Montreal commenced and there was a question if Hamilton was going to be run by the Canadiens or as it turned out run by a private ownership if the Citadelles were an active member when the idea of the Oilers landed in Toronto, the Bulldogs most likely wouldn't be operating today or the last 3 seasons, and Edmonton also is using Dallas' affiliate in Des Moines that sat dormant in the AHL for 4 seasons waiting for someone to come rescue that franchise from being a footnote in the history of the AHL.

Houston and Winnipeg have solid franchises, just NOT in the NHL, there are other professional leagues besides the 30 NHL teams ya know and so is Quebec, but like most former AHL Cities especially in the maritime provinces they opted for Junior franchises because the fans decreed they support those teams more so than the pro teams that were there before, again, economics dictated that, that's probably why the QMJHL is more of a presence now than they used to be, how come the Canadiens are the only major pro club in Quebec but their affiliate is now in Ontario?

MLSE and Toronto fans who saw the RoadRunners that season didn't get enough time to judge whether or not the RoadRunners would've been successful in Toronto but some complained the diehards said that team wasn't a Leafs team or affiliate, we still don't know if the Road Runners will ever be a success in the cities they've represented thus far, Sydney, NS (Cape Breton Oilers), Hamilton, Iowa, Toronto or Edmonton but they showed up when the RoadRunners played the Bulldogs in 2003-04.

Cape Breton for folks new here, is the organization that graduated the esteemed leader of the AHL David Andrews.

MLSE has 1 vote and 1 vote only on any decision involving a potential decision affecting Hamilton and the territorial rights between the two cities.

FAN590 discussed it over the summer. They said the leafs and Sabres always block off teams in Hamilton. Secondly the AHL is not exactly Pro Hockey, but more of a minor system. The quality is much less than that of the NHL. Only small town folk like to feel that the AHL is pro hockey, which to some extent it is, but realistically it's the minors.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
CHRDANHUTCH said:
AdmiralPred said:
Don't worry about Hutch, Squid ... You're not dissing hockey, just some of the markets the NHL plays in.

Excuse me, AdmiralPred, but Squid's whining about Hamilton vs. Toronto now (not the NHL) and How come the AHL didn't step in and exercise the territorial rights of the Bulldogs ...

This is seriously all that I read from this post. Squid wasn't dissing hockey. He may, however, have just dissed the AHL in his previous post (#114).

The territorial rights, you have been rambling about is a discussion from another thread.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Squiddy said:
FAN590 discussed it over the summer. They said the leafs and Sabres always block off teams in Hamilton. Secondly the AHL is not exactly Pro Hockey, but more of a minor system. The quality is much less than that of the NHL. Only small town folk like to feel that the AHL is pro hockey, which to some extent it is, but realistically it's the minors.

How come the Sabres (B. David Golisano) are owned by someone who lives in Rochester, Squid, isn't that the home of the 2nd oldest franchise in the AHL, THE Rochester Americans????????

so far you've alienated, Winnipeg, Houston, Dallas, Quebec, Hamilton, Toronto, Rochester fans, u do realize the Leafs are a corporation, and they also own the Raptors, wanna see who u can rip on next??????

Yes, the AHL luckily is a pro league that has existed since 1936 and is in currently competing in its seventh decade of existence without a threat of lockout while the NHL has cost itself a year in 2004 and half of the 1994-95 season and why are U ripping the AHL, BECAUSE THEY decree the AHL THAT they align themselves with the 30 NHL teams because why would the AHL compete against the NHL AND ARE u now saying that the NHL isn't a pro league either, hmmmm?

Why do u think the AHL calls a developmental league and why have there been 200+ members have graduated to the NHL in its existence, Squid?

Are u also saying that the ECHL, UHL, SPHL, CHL, ETC. ARE Not pro leagues when in fact they are, and the ECHL has also aligned with the top 2 pro leagues (NHL/AHL) and the ECHL has promoted 269 to the NHL by themselves, wake up, ok, Squid, cause u are about to be inundated with angry hockey fans from across the 2 countries with that above post.

The AHL CONTINUED to play while the dual lockouts flared in the NHL.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Squiddy said:
uhhh no he didn't... He awarded 4 cities expansion out of 7 that were bidding in 1997.
So you were living in Nashville in 95 when Bettman said that unless we really screwed things up that Nashville would be the 1st city considered for expansion. BTW I remember that Nashville got the most votes by the board of governors so we were the first team awarded, then Minny, then Atlanta, then Columbus. Hate us if you want but Columbus beat Houston not Nashville, we would have gotten a team regardless of Houston's proposal.

BTW please create a relocation/Contraction sub-fourm for these poeple

canes-sth

Feb 21, 2005
Um - any chance we can rename this thread? I'm thrilled the Carolina bashing has subsided for now - but I think the thread has long since moved OT.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I was at the sports council breakfast when Bettman said it. He said if Nashville wants and NHL team this bad, we'll do what we can to get a team here....

The Sporting News; 7/3/1995; Wigge, Larry

There are rumors that the New Jersey Devils, unhappy with their arena lease, would move to Nashville, TN, into a new arena scheduled for completion in 1996. What is more likely is that the team will work out a deal with New Jersey and that Nashville will get an expansion team for 1996-97.

Devils Owner John McMullen says, "All I can say is we've got a lot of work to do."

After she kisses the Stanley Cup, New Jersey Gov. Christine Whitman promises, "We will do everything in our power to keep the Devils here. We have a lease. We know what John McMullen wants. I think the Devils will still belong to New Jersey next season."

A Nashville reporter comes up to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. He wants to know what to tell his readers about the potential move. Says Bettman, "Be patient. Your building (a 20,000-seat, $120-million arena scheduled for completion in 1996) isn't finished yet. Nashville is a vibrant, growing city. At some point, its ship will come in. It's not unlike Charlotte was before it got into the NBA."

A move to Nashville would represent the third time in memory that a championship team had moved -- the 1945 Rams going from Cleveland to Los Angeles after winning the NFL title, the 1962 Dallas Texans moving to Kansas City after winning the American Football League title and the 1984 Philadelphia Stars moving to Baltimore after winning the U.S. Football League title.

The NHL plans to go to Nashville, but don't look for the Devils to be there next season.

Let's examine Bettman's comment.

"Be patient. At some point."

HughJass*

I stayed out of this for the most part, but I'm back to add a bit of childishness.

Suck it. You people flip like the wind. "We love us some Canes now". Same stuff you did with Tampa. I personally can't stand Tampa fans (the only fans on this board I seem to have a hard time with), but now I see why they are the way they are. For years I've seen many of you spout crap about all of the expansion & relocated clubs with your "holier than thou" schtick. Some of you are still hatin'. Good for you. At least you are consistent. Still, it shows how some of you will never know what the hell you are talking about.

So. Suck it.

Continue on with your regularly schedule "love/hate" shyser.

I think I brought the thread back on topic. :sarcasm:

note: I'm not speaking for all Canes fans, so don't take your pooh out on any of them. I welcome all your non-sensical flames, but I doubt I will read them. :sarcasm:

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
CHRDANHUTCH said:
How come the Sabres (B. David Golisano) are owned by someone who lives in Rochester, Squid, isn't that the home of the 2nd oldest franchise in the AHL, THE Rochester Americans????????

so far you've alienated, Winnipeg, Houston, Dallas, Quebec, Hamilton, Toronto, Rochester fans, u do realize the Leafs are a corporation, and they also own the Raptors, wanna see who u can rip on next??????

Yes, the AHL luckily is a pro league that has existed since 1936 and is in currently competing in its seventh decade of existence without a threat of lockout while the NHL has cost itself a year in 2004 and half of the 1994-95 season and why are U ripping the AHL, BECAUSE THEY decree the AHL THAT they align themselves with the 30 NHL teams because why would the AHL compete against the NHL AND ARE u now saying that the NHL isn't a pro league either, hmmmm?

Why do u think the AHL calls a developmental league and why have there been 200+ members have graduated to the NHL in its existence, Squid?

Are u also saying that the ECHL, UHL, SPHL, CHL, ETC. ARE Not pro leagues when in fact they are, and the ECHL has also aligned with the top 2 pro leagues (NHL/AHL) and the ECHL has promoted 269 to the NHL by themselves, wake up, ok, Squid, cause u are about to be inundated with angry hockey fans from across the 2 countries with that above post.

The AHL CONTINUED to play while the dual lockouts flared in the NHL.

YAY go AHL!... :sarcasm:

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Storminator16 said:
I stayed out of this for the most part, but I'm back to add a bit of childishness.

Suck it. You people flip like the wind. "We love us some Canes now". Same stuff you did with Tampa. I personally can't stand Tampa fans (the only fans on this board I seem to have a hard time with), but now I see why they are the way they are. For years I've seen many of you spout crap about all of the expansion & relocated clubs with your "holier than thou" schtick. Some of you are still hatin'. Good for you. At least you are consistent. Still, it shows how some of you will never know what the hell you are talking about.

So. Suck it.

Continue on with your regularly schedule "love/hate" shyser.

I think I brought the thread back on topic. :sarcasm:

note: I'm not speaking for all Canes fans, so don't take your pooh out on any of them. I welcome all your non-sensical flames, but I doubt I will read them. :sarcasm:

Suck it? Are you going to do the outdated crotch chop too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad