LeBrun: Carolina will "absolutely" trade Skinner

batman8990

Jun 17, 2018
Id say 100%. I always suspected the price was high, but with all the talk now and the talk the Canes wanted it done before the draft...I think the offers probably stagnated below the Canes' FO's acceptable minimum.

Come on, have you read the piece from LeBrun about Skinner before posting your comment? 1) Canes have never said they wanted to have it done before the draft. 2) If Skinner hasn't been traded yet its because teams are looking for FA options first like Kovalchuk. When he'll have made his choice, the teams who have failed to land him will likely come back to Canes for Skinner.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Agree. The only situation I'd be in favor of putting the 20 OA in play is for a higher 1st rounder this year AND we unload significant salary (Toffoli or Martinez/Muzzin) to make room for Tavares as UFA. We build the farm and get better on the ice.
That's a large gamble. I am good dealing this year's 20th if it is for a player under team control. Dealing it for a guy who could walk in one year brings back too many Milan Lucic memories (I was a fan of that deal at the time but saw us as legit cup contenders not a bubble team)

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
That's a large gamble. I am good dealing this year's 20th if it is for a player under team control. Dealing it for a guy who could walk in one year brings back too many Milan Lucic memories (I was a fan of that deal at the time but saw us as legit cup contenders not a bubble team)
Sorry I mean if we have the player agreeing to sign a long term deal.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Is skinner goiing to get the same return as Brayden Schenn? I doubt it. Schenn could play Center, Skinner is xtriclty a winger at thsi point.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
lots of rumors flying around. but I wouldn't be surprised if Skinner is still a Cane come season opener. The only way I see him traded is if new head coach Brindamour has been pushing to get Skinner out of Carolina.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Come on, have you read the piece from LeBrun about Skinner before posting your comment? 1) Canes have never said they wanted to have it done before the draft. 2) If Skinner hasn't been traded yet its because teams are looking for FA options first like Kovalchuk. When he'll have made his choice, the teams who have failed to land him will likely come back to Canes for Skinner.
Bingo, there's a lot being held up at this moment by what happens with Kovalchuk, I'd imagine that he'll be moved a day or two after some team signs Kovalchuk as the bidding intensifies. The Canes probably have a bunch of teams that are interested in Skinner but are obviously waiting to see what team the free asset picks. Canes aren't about to take a lesser return to ensure that they get a deal done before this draft.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
lots of rumors flying around. but I wouldn't be surprised if Skinner is still a Cane come season opener. The only way I see him traded is if new head coach Brindamour has been pushing to get Skinner out of Carolina.
To be honest I’d be fine with that but that’s not the lay of the land. Typically news out of Carolina is completely localized and not affected by national news in terms of the Canes. Meaning all the smoke that goes around the league about the Canes is usually different than what Canes fans hear from around the team. The local news is almost always accurate. They don’t say anything unless it’s about to happen.

The comments on this issue all came from the team. They want a different team. They have specifically said they are looking to moving out a guy or two that have been with the team a long time and never been successful. That’s where “changing the culture” comes from.

The two most obvious choices there are Skinner and Faulk, with Staal and Rask also being close to what’s described. They’re all still young which makes them painful to move but the Canes don’t have any older key players. TVR is the oldest D at 26. The oldest non ufa other than Williams is Staal at 29.

Skinner has one year left on a deal, he will likely get a raise and it seems the team is going to give that money to Aho and reshuffle the focus of the offense around him and likely Svech, with the supporting prices of Staal, TT, McGinn, Lindy .....etc..

Local news has said Skinner is as good as gone. He hired a new agent. 5% chance he’s with the team in training camp.

Reactions: go comets

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
i doubt skinner ever posts a 70 point season

You don't think a 30+ goal scorer who has hit 63 points twice on one of the worst offensive teams in the league could post 70+ points next to Crosby, McDavid, Eichel, etc.? Doesn't seem like that big of a stretch...

Reactions: Unsustainable

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is skinner goiing to get the same return as Brayden Schenn? I doubt it. Schenn could play Center, Skinner is xtriclty a winger at thsi point.

Schenn also had 2 years left on his deal, don't forget that

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Positional value doesn't matter as much as you get Skinner for one year vs getting Schenn for 2 years.

Edit: ^ beat to it!

Skinner could easily hit 40 goals in the right situation. He creates 30 plus all by himself for the Canes generally. I’ve always thought he could have a 50 goal season in him. He’s that good around the net. In terms of hot and cold streaky goal scorers, his hot is off the charts.

Why not target MaxPAc? He's been hsitorically much closer to a 40 goal scorer. and HF boards says hes a scrub with no value so you could probably get him on the cheap

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Positional value doesn't matter as much as you get Skinner for one year vs getting Schenn for 2 years.

Edit: ^ beat to it!

Why not target MaxPAc? He's been hsitorically much closer to a 40 goal scorer. and HF boards says hes a scrub with no value so you could probably get him o the cheap

schenn was traded with 3 years on his contract.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I stand corrected. That furthers the point. Schenn for 3 years vs Skinner for 1 year. So BS should yield the greater return.

i think anyone who trades for guys with 1 year leftt on their deal will only do so if they can ensure an extension is in place. Simmonds, hoffman, and skinner are all guys that may be avialble who only have 1 year left

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Schenn also had 2 years left on his deal, don't forget that

Skinner has a NMC and is eligible for an extension on July 1, don’t forget that. I think it is very likely that Skinner would prefer to limit options to either 1) teams that will make him look very good for UFA or (more likely) 2) a team that will sign him to an Evander Kane extension immediately. I could see a team like Buffalo very interested in the 2nd scenario.

That’s what I’d do if I were Skinner holding all the cards (NMC).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
i doubt skinner ever posts a 70 point season

Maybe not, but when traded, nobody thought Schenn, who had a career high 26G, 59 points would every post a 70 point season either. Scoring wise, Skinner has accomplished much more than Schenn had (at the time of his trade) while being on worse teams and working with less.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Maybe not, but when traded, nobody thought Schenn, who had a career high 26G, 59 points would every post a 70 point season either. Scoring wise, Skinner has accomplished much more than Schenn had (at the time of his trade) while being on worse teams and working with less.

i don't know about that. Schenn had shown gradual improvements throughout his career. One of the things that i was always adamant about with schenn was that i thought he was a center and the flyers never did a good enough job of seeing that or putting him that position to succeed. He played center, successfully, his whole career prior to the flyers and they just abandooned it. Blues were smart to see his center potential and it paid off well for them.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Seems like from a pure asset value, the Stars with #13 + a good prospect or the Avs with #16 + a good prospect would be the most appealing unless the Oilers really want to offer #10 and not hamstring the value of that pick with Lucic's contract. In the Stars or Avs deal, you don't have to wait on theoretical value of a 2019 pick that is not firmed up, you do a complete shed of salary and as a small bonus, you ship Skinner far, far away (not that it's a big deal).

Of course, if the Cans are looking more along the lines of the rumored Faulk-Saad deal and want another really good player straight up, the dynamics are much different.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
i don't know about that. Schenn had shown gradual improvements throughout his career. One of the things that i was always adamant about with schenn was that i thought he was a center and the flyers never did a good enough job of seeing that or putting him that position to succeed. He played center, successfully, his whole career prior to the flyers and they just abandooned it. Blues were smart to see his center potential and it paid off well for them.

Doesn't matter why, but few, if any thought Schenn was a 70 point player at the time of the trade.

Many fans have a bunch of mitigating reasons with respect to Skinner as well. He scored 37 goals/63 points last year while player with guys like Derek Ryan and being on the 2nd PP unit on really low scoring teams. It's not a stretch to think he could add 7 points on a better team playing with better linemates. Skinner is an elite goal scorer, particularly at even strength. Since he's entered the league, only 9 players have more ES goals than Skinner.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Dont really feel like looking at the other pages so sorry if this has been asked but what would Carolina want for Skinner from AZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->