LeBrun: Carolina will "absolutely" trade Skinner

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t know. Williams is only signed for one more season. Simmonds would be a good replacement.

Yeah, I get that, but that wasn't my point. I meant if the Canes have heartburn paying Skinner a "Kane type" contract, I can't see why they wouldn't have the same issue paying Simmonds, who will be 31 to start the deal, a similar type deal. Williams or no Williams.

Now, if they can sign Simmonds to a Williams type deal, then it makes sense, but I think teams have shown they will pay $6M+ for guys like him so I don't think he'd sign a 2 year $4.5M deal like Williams.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It's true that replacing Skinner's 25-30 (ish) goals is not going to be easy, but it's not as stark as you make it sound. Aho (29G) and Teravainen (23G) took huge steps up in their development last year and are only 20 and 23 years old respectively. They were the drivers of offense on Carolina last year, not Skinner. Jordan Staal is good for 20(ish) goals every season. The team will be adding Svechnikov and Necas to the line-up and I will be a bit surprised if Svechnikov doesn't have a Hischier type of season and chips in 15-20 goals. Necas is more of a distributor. Faulk also had a down year in terms of goal scoring and I expect a bounce back for him.

All that said, I don't think the Canes are just "moving Skinner". I think either via another trade or free agency (less likely), they'll add more to the team.

Yeah one of the Canes biggest assets this offseason is the Cap space. And unlike most teams trying to get younger, the Canes actually need to add some veteran experience to both the offense and defense. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are looking at replacing Skinner with a guy like JVR, Nash, Kovalchuk, Neal, etc.

Last edited:

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I get that, but that wasn't my point. I meant if the Canes have heartburn paying Skinner a "Kane type" contract, I can't see why they wouldn't have the same issue paying Simmonds, who will be 31 to start the deal, a similar type deal. Williams or no Williams.

Now, if they can sign Simmonds to a Williams type deal, then it makes sense, but I think teams have shown they will pay $6M+ for guys like him so I don't think he'd sign a 2 year $4.5M deal like Williams.

My thoughts behind the Skinner situation is it's mutual on both sides. TD and DW wanted a culture change, and are wanting to trade Skinner/Faulk because they are the longest tenure guys who need a change of scenery. I never thought money and term were the driving factors in wanting them moved. Simmonds has put up similar numbers as Skinner recently, but plays more of a gritty game. I could see him being a mainstay on our roster. And Paul Krepelka said in a recent interview that they'd be willing to offer players longer terms instead of higher dollar amounts in deals, which could be a plus for a Simmonds type of player that could last him the majority of his remaining career. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be opposed to Simmonds in Carolina.

Reactions: Unsustainable

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Yeah one of the Canes biggest assets this offseason is the Cap space. And unlike most teams trying to get younger, the Canes actually need to add some veteran experience to both the offense and defense. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are looking at replacing Skinner with a guy like JVR, Nash, Kovalchuk, Neal, etc.
Would they have any interest in, say, Alexander Steen, Jay Bouwmeester, Vladimir Sobotka or Patrick Berglund?

I absolutely think the Blues are interested, and could see them making an offer based on one of those veterans, a prospect like Thompson or Kostin, and a pick. But not sure if that seals the deal for Carolina.

Steen and J-Bo also have some time of NMC, and I believe Berglund has one kick in after 1 July, so they might have something to say about it, but I doubt any of them would fight a deal to Carolina if the Blues were intent to make it happen.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Would they have any interest in, say, Alexander Steen, Jay Bouwmeester, Vladimir Sobotka or Patrick Berglund?

I absolutely think the Blues are interested, and could see them making an offer based on one of those veterans, a prospect like Thompson or Kostin, and a pick. But not sure if that seals the deal for Carolina.

Steen and J-Bo also have some time of NMC, and I believe Berglund has one kick in after 1 July, so they might have something to say about it, but I doubt any of them would fight a deal to Carolina if the Blues were intent to make it happen.

The veteran additions can be filled through Free Agency and trades after the more pressing issues are fixed. The Canes have a much more direct issue in #1G and #1C that will be addressed directly and/or indirectly through roster trades (Faulk, Skinner, Hanifin, Lindholm, Rask, etc.) and Free Agency.

I don’t think it’s impossible that St Louis has a veteran + a top prospect that the Canes would entertain for Skinner. Who that would be is too dependent on what other moves the Canes have planned. For example the Canes would likely be interested in Bouwmeester if they kept Faulk and dealt Hanifin.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Every single team should be all over this even if they don’t need a winger. Strike now while Donny Waddell is a GM.

Reactions: kp61c

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Just sit back and watch the Donny Waddell show, my friend.

Wait is it the Don Waddell show or the Tom Dundon show? Or the Rick Dudley show? Or the Rod Brind’Amour show? I get confused with all these competing narratives.

The only thing we can be for sure of is that it isn’t what the Canes explicitly say it is: A management team who collaborates and makes decisions based on targeted systemic inputs in the same vein as most modern successful businesses of which Canes new owner Tom Dundon has built multiple of. Definitely not that.

Of course us Canes fans are happy with any “show” at this point. For the past 9 years the Carolina Hurricanes would be best characterize as a “no-show”. GM Ron Francis completed a total of zero player for player trades during his years to fix that. Anything but continuing to languish in mediocrity is acceptable.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Wait is it the Don Waddell show or the Tom Dundon show? Or the Rick Dudley show? Or the Rod Brind’Amour show? I get confused with all these competing narratives.

The only thing we can be for sure of is that it isn’t what the Canes explicitly say it is: A management team who collaborates and makes decisions based on targeted systemic inputs in the same vein as most modern successful businesses of which Canes new owner Tom Dundon has built multiple of. Definitely not that.

Of course us Canes fans are happy with any “show” at this point. For the past 9 years the Carolina Hurricanes would be best characterize as a “no-show”. GM Ron Francis completed a total of zero player for player trades during his years to fix that. Anything but continuing to languish in mediocrity is acceptable.
You might miss the days of Ronny Francis sitting back collecting a paycheck. Those bumbling bafoons might cause so damage if they start making deals.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You might miss the days of Ronny Francis sitting back collecting a paycheck. Those bumbling bafoons might cause so damage if they start making deals.

They might. They also might not. One would be a fool to make their conclusion before actually seeing what objective data is produced. If you believe Waddell is unilaterally making decisions in Carolina you are just willfully ignorant to the reality in Carolina right now. Or have an agenda that is pretty transparent.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I was fine with Francis. I didn’t question a single move he didn’t make. There was no trade we ever could’ve been on, that we didn’t make that I thought we should’ve. He read this team right for not being ready for bigger moves as it developed, and he did his best to address the issues in the off season with a limited payroll. He never got a shot with TD’s money.

I was fine with giving RF’s plan it’s final year to see it all come to fruition, but I do understand that it’s results that matter and he ran out of time. I’m definitely nervous about what they do, but the I’m not nervous really about Waddell. As others are saying it’s a committee, they’re all going to have to agree to a bad move. I never thought Waddell was that bad in the first place, like RF he was making the most of a bad situation. Every Gm has some bad deals.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So what are the chances with all this hype how Skinner will be traded he starts the season in Carolina? 75%?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->