Carolina Panthers

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Panthers tend to lose their season openers, even when they have 4th quarter leads and/or playing teams they should beat. The last two seasons were rare opening wins.

It is what it is, not the best start to the season but we've seen this before, so we should be used to it by now.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Go into the defending Super Bowl champion's home opener, beat them solidly in the first half, rally in the 4th quarter to be in position for a last-second win. Kicker blows it.

I'm not gonna get TOO down about that.

Yeah, that was a tough game for sure and I'm glad to have it out of the way. Hopefully Cam is okay after those hits to the head, wouldn't be too upset if he had to miss the 49ers game to play things safe.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's really amazing we've gotten to the point that in the NFL when a kicker misses a 50 yard field goal, he blew it. But here we are. What was it, maybe 10 years ago that field goal would be at best a 1/3 chance?

Reactions: Identity404

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
It's really amazing we've gotten to the point that in the NFL when a kicker misses a 50 yard field goal, he blew it. But here we are. What was it, maybe 10 years ago that field goal would be at best a 1/3 chance?

To be fair, the ball flies far in Denver. Every kickoff had a chance to go through the uprights, the punters couldn't pin anyone deep because it kept going into the endzone, and Gano thought he could make one from 60 there. Also, the one that didn't count went off the upright and in. So I think he could have done it, but obviously icing the kicker worked out well for them.

Edit: On another note, this was my very first game as a fantasy owner. C.J. Anderson gave me 25 points but also beat my real-life team. I'm feeling very conflicted about this whole thing.

Last edited:

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
I am pissed that they lost, but now they got that loss out the way. No pressure for an undefeated season, just play game to game and get into the playoffs.

Also those refs were garbage last night.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That last one I'd need to see it again. No doubt the guy went high, led with his helmet and got Cam in the head, so it was a clear penalty. IIRC, Cam was in a bit of a weird position as well making his head a bit lower as well which I think contributed to it some. Still though, they called the penalty on that one, it was just offset by his intentional grounding. I didn't see the whole game, but that "hands to the face" was a pretty weak and marginal call that went the Panthers way on the 4th down they didn't convert so as an unbiased observer, they got a break there IMO.

It's kind of a catch 22 with Cam. He's so big and strong that guys have to really try and lay a lick on him or he'll just brush them off. He is constantly extending plays with his athletic ability, taking off running, etc...which means he's going to take more shots. It's exciting, and fun, and part of what makes him who he is, but man, sometimes I'm like "throw it away Cam".

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Not in regards to any of those hits to the head, but Cam has put himself in bad situations quite often in an attempt to draw a late hit call. Wouldn't be surprised if he's got a bit of a reputation for that among the refs, adds another layer to how they call games with him. There were a couple hits earlier (not to the head) where he just held on to the ball too long, and drew the hit right as he threw it away. They weren't late hits by any means, and he's unnecessarily taking abuse. Hope he stops doing some of that after last night.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
I think it's more of the D getting more aggressive to knock him down because he can escape the tackles that most quarterbacks would just slide down to. Cam never slides and he fights for yards just like a RB does. But in the end, the refs needed to call at least one more of those 4 hits that he took.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad