Prospect Info: Carolina Hurricanes select LW Brent Pedersen at #126

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
:shakehead

Will you guys stop it??!!! :laugh:

Truthfully, I'm very happy someone took a chance on Brent. I think he's going to have a very good year, and he'll be relied on for more offense and will get more ice time this year than last.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
There are a few things worth noting with this selection.

First of all it was entirely off the board in terms of what many outlets had considered to be the best 200 or so players available, which is unsurprising considering the disparity between those rankings and how the draft actually went this year.

Secondly, he's an incredibly young entry for this draft class. The fact that he turned 16 about .... 2 months into the OHL season last year means that he damn near played in the OHL at 15 and scored 9 goals. As as July '95, he's still only 17 years old at the time of this writing and for all intents and purposes, the last half of this season and the first half of next season cumulatively should be considered his draft season. I know a lot of people are of the opinion that a '95 is a '95, but for physical players that time is valuable developmental time. For a guy his age to be dropping the gloves at such a young age recommends that he's going to continue to develop toughness with a scoring touch for Kitchener.

He was entirely off my radar so it's somewhat surprising for me to hear about him this early, but I suppose on paper he's as good of a gamble as anybody. He is more than likely going to continue to grow physically as well as he develops his game. At the very least, he's not a two-time entry we took a flyer on with zero offense. Looking at you, Woods.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
I like Vagrants post. He put up decent numbers and added great toughness despite being incredibly young and physically less mature. Time will tell but we should be high on this 5th round selection.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
There are a few things worth noting with this selection.

First of all it was entirely off the board in terms of what many outlets had considered to be the best 200 or so players available, which is unsurprising considering the disparity between those rankings and how the draft actually went this year.

Secondly, he's an incredibly young entry for this draft class. The fact that he turned 16 about .... 2 months into the OHL season last year means that he damn near played in the OHL at 15 and scored 9 goals. As as July '95, he's still only 17 years old at the time of this writing and for all intents and purposes, the last half of this season and the first half of next season cumulatively should be considered his draft season. I know a lot of people are of the opinion that a '95 is a '95, but for physical players that time is valuable developmental time. For a guy his age to be dropping the gloves at such a young age recommends that he's going to continue to develop toughness with a scoring touch for Kitchener.

He was entirely off my radar so it's somewhat surprising for me to hear about him this early, but I suppose on paper he's as good of a gamble as anybody. He is more than likely going to continue to grow physically as well as he develops his game. At the very least, he's not a two-time entry we took a flyer on with zero offense. Looking at you, Woods.

Vagrant, Central Scouting had him ranked as the 125th best N.A. skater, so not entirely off of the board especially for pick 126. Still that is very interesting info that you provide. I like your perspective on Brent. I also like that he's a scrapper and an "effort" guy. With his size he projects to be that big, tough 3rd liner in a few years. I don't hate this pick at all....as a matter of fact, I like all of our last 3 picks.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Vagrant, Central Scouting had him ranked as the 125th best N.A. skater, so not entirely off of the board especially for pick 126. Still that is very interesting info that you provide. I like your perspective on Brent. I also like that he's a scrapper and an "effort" guy. With his size he projects to be that big, tough 3rd liner in a few years. I don't hate this pick at all....as a matter of fact, I like all of our last 3 picks.

CS is a bit hard to read as they have the North Americans and European players separated (not to mention goaltenders), but 125th among NA skaters likely puts him in the realm of 6th round to undrafted when you include the Europeans. Most of my predraft reading didn't have him being selected at all. Certain outlets neglecting to mention him at all. Chances are good that Carolina got an eye full while watching Murphy and made note of him.

Acad

Mar 17, 2012
Pedersen is a good pick in the fifth round.

Brent is a power forward type player who is only continuing to get better. He had a great second half of the season and has a lot of potential moving forward.

Pedersen was Kitchener's first round pick and came in with a lot of pressure because he grew up not far from Kitchener.

He struggled for most of his rookie year but coming into his second year, you could see that he got a lot stronger and played a much better overall game.

During this past season, he saw time on both the PK and PP.

Next year he will be given a lot more ice time as Kitchener is in the middle of a rebuild so it will be interesting to see how he responds.

I expect for him to score 20-24 goals and add 24-28 assists next season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Pederson has the size and drive to be a good forward. He has to learn to carry through on his checks though instead of pulling back. It limits the impact of the hit and has no real effect on the opponent. I call it Steve Spott hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->