Prospect Info: Carolina Hurricanes select C Elias Lindholm at #5

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Great pick for where we were. I was between Lindholm or Nichushkin at the last second. Fantastic player. Looking forward to watching him in the WJC next year.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I thought all year long Lindholm was the best forward in the draft behind MacKinnon. As good of combination of hockey IQ and compete level as anyone in the draft IMO, goes to the net hard, superb vision. Shades of Forsberg. Hope you guys let him play at C although he can play RW too.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Eh, works for me. Nurse would have been need, Lindholm BPA. Let's hope JR drafts heavy on the D for the remaining rounds, though.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Love the pick. I look at Lindholm as almost the ideal winger for J. Staal with his supposed playmaking ability and two-way instincts. Put a defensively responsible big body that will go to the dirty areas on the other side (like a Colin Greening, for example) and you have the makings of a 2nd line that can not only shut down the opposition's best, but chip in a good amount offensively (in a couple of years).

Good profile on Lindholm --> http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/13/elias-lindholm-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-5/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Love the pick, but my only concern is that we'll need to grab a defenseman in FA or trade now without one of our big assets.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Rated higher than Barkov by multiple ranking companies, McKeens being one which most people swear by.

Never-quit compete level, elite hockey IQ and playmaking abilities, high-end skater, physical... Projected 70-80 point Center with comparables of Giroux and Bergeron.

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
Calle Järnkroks (detroit prospect) cousin.

Both played for Brynäs this year.

Järnkrok made his debut later in the SHL(SEL).
Järnkrok age 18 33games 4goals 6assists 10points
Lindholm age 18 48games 11goals 19assists 30points

More stats comparing them:
TV-Pucken is a huge swedish youth tournament with all the best players from each region for ages under 15.
Järnkrok 16ga 6g 4a 10p
Lindholm 8ga 7g 6a 13p

WJC-20:
Järnkrok 6g 2g 3a 5p
Lindholm 6g 2g 2a 4p

Pretty much same height
Weight:
Järnkrok 80 kg / 176 lbs at 21 years
Lindholm 87 kg / 192 lbs at 18

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Love the pick, but my only concern is that we'll need to grab a defenseman in FA or trade now without one of our big assets.

Free agency could get really interesting this year with the decreasing cap, though. And if Murphy can graduate to the NHL full time (the post concussion issues worry me, though), we could make the D somewhat better from within.

I suspect they do have some inklings of a plan for the D, but we just have to wait and see.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
This is what I wrote some weeks ago, obviously not an NHL scout or anything, but I did a fair bit of watching this year, so take it for what's it's worth, but I think you guys are going to be loving this pick for years to come.

Elias Lindholm possesses a very rare trait, one that is invaluable in the NHL and in small rinks in particular and that is his ability to put it into overdrive – the 6th gear and the ability to make plays in very tight spaces with very little time, his vision is as good as there is in this draft but coupled with his aggression and the ability to make plays out of nothing with limited space and time makes him a special player.

The willingness to attack the dirty areas of the ice with agression and the elusiveness coupled with the elite vision and very good hands to capitalize on those situations brings back the memories of another Swede – Peter Forsberg. Though expecting Lindholm to reach that level is a bit optimistic, I fully expect him to wreak havoc on opposition in much the same way stylistically.

The combination of the willingness to play in the dirty areas of the ice, the elite vision, and the ability to switch into overdrive should be enough to put Lindholm into the discussion with the top forwards in this draft, I would go as far as putting him directly behind MacKinnon among forwards in the 2013 NHL entry draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->