Carolina Hurricane 2022 Draft review

albertascout

Apr 8, 2012
The Carolina Hurricane 2022 draft review

First Round

Denton Matechuk D WHL (HFNHL #15/NHL #12 +3)

I usually fall for a player long ahead of time. This time was a little different in that I wanted Elias Salomonsson but his stock was dropping so I had moved on. I was going to be happy with any of the Mintyukov, Korchinski, Matechuk trio. I was happy that Matechuk dropped to me with out trading up. Columbus is a great spot for him to improve and a get in the big lineup sooner. This is where the CHL/NHL agreement does a disservice to the older CHL prospects in that they have no where else to go.

Second Round

Artyom Duda D MHL (HFNHL #47/NHL #36 +11)

Duda has been putting up big numbers in the MHL. He is an analytics darling as well. He is over 6 feet so he should be able to transition playing against bigger players. I am concerned that he was drafted to Arizona as that has been a place where prospects go and die on the vine. The fact that Arizona’s big club has been gutted gives me hope that when Duda can leave Russia there is a spot for him waiting.

Third Round

Isaiah George D OHL (HFNHL #81/NHL #98 -17)

George is a great athlete, and we are betting on playing time to improve his game. Playing for the London Knights means he is getting the best coaching to help him.

Fourth Round

Pano Fimis C OHL (HFNHL #111/NHL NOT DRAFTED -infinity)

He is a good player in a bad situation. I would like to fire the analytics team at Elite Prospects into the sun.

Fifth round

Zam Plante C USHL (HFNHL #143/NHL#150 -7)

Zam has some potential. He is off to Minnesota-Duluth next year.

Sixth round

Mason Beaupit G WHL (HFNHL #175/NHL #108 +67)

Mason was an analytics pick. Goalies are a roll of the dice. I got lucky here.

Sergei Ivanov G MHL (HFNHL #207/NHL #137 +71)

Another goalie picked much higher than expected. With them picked higher the hope is that they will be given more of a chance.

LAST YEAR

Graham Sward D WHL (HFNHL 2021 #222/NHL 2022 #146 +76)

Graham had a great D+1 season and scored at a great pace. This was due as he could not showcase himself enough with the WHL season greatly reduced due to the pandemic. I am euphoric for this one.

TOTAL +/- +128 (not including Sward) None of this means anything.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad