GDT: carnyi

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
By my completely arbitrary viewing, Darling has stolen 1 game and cost us 2. That's not good enough. His economy of movement and ability to read pucks off the blade each look slightly worse than what I saw from him in Chicago*. I'd think with his increased workload, the former would be the most important for him to work on, but maybe fatigue is playing a part there. I still think he's capable, unfortunately, as Joe mentioned, him growing into a starter role might cost us a shot this season.

*To re-iterate, I know f***all with regards to analyzing goalies.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
Yeah, there's definitely some nuance to it, but I don't think they take into account screened/unscreened or who's taking the shot from the point or anything like that. A slapshot from a Boychuk is still IMO a save that should be made, but it's not counted differently than a wristshot from the same location by a Nick Leddy.

Yeah I think the idea is that over time these sorts of things even out. But on game by game basis not all shots are equal danger from the same spot.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Then you haven't seen enough. There is virtually no difference between Darling this season and Ward last season. I could just easily say that Ward had made a lot of saves on pucks Darling would've let in. The only difference this season is the tandem being marginally better.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I feel I've seen plenty. I've watched every minute of every game, and I watched plenty of Darling for Chicago. He's better than I thought he was gonna be.

Just sounds like the normal blame game and finger pointing. It's too early to tell anything about this season. We're in the hunt right like we supposed to be. With little offense.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Best goalies in the league have crap nights. Darling has been notably better than our other recent options, he's doing fine. I don't care if he has an off night. He's a battler and has saved our bacon way more than he's lost from what I've seen. He's made a lot of saves on pucks Ward would've let in.

It's not about one goal or one night. It's about sv% and wins. He's won 5 of 13 games, and has a .905 sv%. He's given up 3+ in 7 of 13.

Is it just because we need Darling to be good so bad, we have to pretend because the alternative is sadness?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think he's better than Ward. I don't know really what else to say. Stats are stats. This team and fans had maybe unfair expectations of itself? We're mildly better overall but not ready to crush it by any stretch. We don't look as good defensively as we seemed last year but it's still pretty early. Lots of guys in new roles. I just don't see Darling being the problem. Yet anyways.

I didn't have the highest hopes for Darling. Like I said before, he's been better than I thought he was going to be.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Should have got Bishop.
Stop with the nonsense. He's not good anymore and i wouldn't touch this terrible contract.
Darling is twice the better this season even though he's inconsistent. The obsession with Bishop is strange. It's not 2015 anymore, he's proven but declining rapidly.

upload_2017-11-18_5-7-27.png

Reactions: Unsustainable

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Stop with the nonsense. He's not good anymore and i wouldn't touch this terrible contract.
Darling is twice the better this season even though he's inconsistent. The obsession with Bishop is strange. It's not 2015 anymore, he's proven but declining rapidly.

View attachment 83843

No you stop. Until Darling is a Vezina finalist i have no reason to respond to you going forward on this topic. Thank you.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Options were extremely limited, Darling was easily the best fit in terms of upside and finances. If it doesn't work out in the long term, I won't fault them for it. It's hard to find a legit good goalie anymore.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Yeah, I can't see any argument for bishop over darling right now. Bishop has bad stats this season and hasn't seemed the same since his vezina caliber season. Plus those injuries scare me. I don't know, that islanders game is the only one where I think darling was just flat out bad which happens on occasion to any goalie. The general inconsistency is worrisome but I have faith he will improve. Really my concern is that the TSA line might drop off in scoring. Seems like we still have only 2 lines that can score at all while the defense needs to step up offensively

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Given what this team has done to goalies over the last five years, you have to start to ask if it is not the goalies that are the problem, but the team and systems in front of them. Peters' insistence on using defenders to "join the rush" leaves plenty of opportunities for a screwup to turn into an odd man rush the other way, or a bad pass/turnover in our own end that results in a high danger chance for the other team.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Given what this team has done to goalies over the last five years, you have to start to ask if it is not the goalies that are the problem, but the team and systems in front of them. Peters' insistence on using defenders to "join the rush" leaves plenty of opportunities for a screwup to turn into an odd man rush the other way, or a bad pass/turnover in our own end that results in a high danger chance for the other team.

We should just play the trap and use our amazing skating ability to cause the other teams to fall asleep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->