Recalled/Assigned: Carlsson, Schroeder sent to Cleveland EDIT: Schroder back up

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

And Carlsson is back up. Wouldn’t be shocked if he draws into the lineup tomorrow night against Anaheim if Murray is out...can’t have Z and Jones playing 28 minutes/game again on a back-to-back

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
If Schroeder is going to get some time in Cleveland, they should put him on a line with Linus and Lucy.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
So Carlsson was good enough to step right into the playoff line up ahead of Nuti who had played most of the year on a team setting records in points and winning streak, yet can't beat out Harrington for playing time this year........Hmm. I'm sure I'll get it at some point.

I agree he needs to be playing so better to be in Cleveland than in the press box.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
So Carlsson was good enough to step right into the playoff line up ahead of Nuti who had played most of the year on a team setting records in points and winning streak, yet can't beat out Harrington for playing time this year........Hmm. I'm sure I'll get it at some point.

I agree he needs to be playing so better to be in Cleveland than in the press box.
I wondered why Carlsson stepped in front of Nuti before playoffs also. It was because they shut Nuti down with his bad hip.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Nutivaara and also QUINCEY played the last games and played much more TOI per game than Carlsson in the playoffs.

Nutivaara is a much better player than Carlsson.

Harrington has played better than Carlsson.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Nutivaara and also QUINCEY played the last games and played much more TOI per game than Carlsson in the playoffs.

Nutivaara is a much better player than Carlsson.

Harrington has played better than Carlsson.
Nuttivara is also 3 years older than Carlsson with a season more of professional play. He needs time still. I don't know why you act like Carlsson playing behind a seasoned vet like Quincey and someone who was on the team entire season is such a big deal.

If someone isn't ready then they aren't going to force them on the big club, theres no shame in playing big minutes in Cleveland

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

All of this is correct. I don't know what's confusing about it.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Nuttivara is also 3 years older than Carlsson with a season more of professional play. He needs time still. I don't know why you act like Carlsson playing behind a seasoned vet like Quincey and someone who was on the team entire season is such a big deal.

If someone isn't ready then they aren't going to force them on the big club, theres no shame in playing big minutes in Cleveland

My issue is that this pretty much goes against what people have said about Carlsson. Since he got into games in the playoffs "over" Nutivaara, the consensus was that he was ahead of him on the depth chart. The fact that he had just gotten over to NA and got put into games right away was used to hype him quite a bit. Nutivaara's injury and the fact that Quincey got nearly double the ice time of Carlsson when put in, was pretty much ignored. Huge coaching mistake to have Carlsson dress for all 5 and Quincey only 2.

Not only was Carlsson seen as a "lock" on the 3rd pairing (ahead of Nuti/Harrington) he was also looked at by "many" as possibly already our 4th best guy (ahead of 1-2 of Murray, Savard, Johnson). He was essentially the main guy used to hype our D depth or to (attempt to) show or prove that Murray (or any other superior D) was expendable for Duchene and/or another C. This "hype" should be going to Nutivaara, not Carlsson. I don't care about age or draft selection history. I'm not saying the potential to be a good to great defensive D man isn't there, but currently I do not see what others see, or what they think they see, when it comes to Carlsson.

I mean all year, and even still, we have people questioning why he's not been getting ice time on the CBJ and those who argue the fact that Murray, Nutivaara, etc. are just simply way better players currently. And while I admit I haven't seen enough actual regular ice time, I think we have another young prospect who plays a similar defensive game, in Gavrikov, who also seems to be much better at nearly everything.

It is just 1 highlight clip, but its shows multiple things that Gavrikov is able to do, and is willing to do, that Carlsson has not shown yet. The speed and timing of the "pinch" on Kovalchuk is very good. Just this play alone shows his intelligence. Along with the "intensity" and aggressiveness that comes with attempting an "open ice" hit. Something I haven't seen big ole Gabe attempt once. It is also not very easy to get as good and accurate of a shot as he did on the 1-timer, another quality that Carlsson has not shown he has.

He's even got a little Werenski in him. Gotta get some brownie points from some of ya.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My issue is that this pretty much goes against what people have said about Carlsson. Since he got into games in the playoffs "over" Nutivaara, the consensus was that he was ahead of him on the depth chart. The fact that he had just gotten over to NA and got put into games right away was used to hype him quite a bit. Nutivaara's injury and the fact that Quincey got nearly double the ice time of Carlsson when put in, was pretty much ignored. Huge coaching mistake to have Carlsson dress for all 5 and Quincey only 2.

Not only was Carlsson seen as a "lock" on the 3rd pairing (ahead of Nuti/Harrington) he was also looked at by "many" as possibly already our 4th best guy (ahead of 1-2 of Murray, Savard, Johnson). He was essentially the main guy used to hype our D depth or to (attempt to) show or prove that Murray (or any other superior D) was expendable for Duchene and/or another C. This "hype" should be going to Nutivaara, not Carlsson. I don't care about age or draft selection history. I'm not saying the potential to be a good to great defensive D man isn't there, but currently I do not see what others see, or what they think they see, when it comes to Carlsson.

I mean all year, and even still, we have people questioning why he's not been getting ice time on the CBJ and those who argue the fact that Murray, Nutivaara, etc. are just simply way better players currently. And while I admit I haven't seen enough actual regular ice time, I think we have another young prospect who plays a similar defensive game, in Gavrikov, who also seems to be much better at nearly everything.

It is just 1 highlight clip, but its shows multiple things that Gavrikov is able to do, and is willing to do, that Carlsson has not shown yet. The speed and timing of the "pinch" on Kovalchuk is very good. Just this play alone shows his intelligence. Along with the "intensity" and aggressiveness that comes with attempting an "open ice" hit. Something I haven't seen big ole Gabe attempt once. It is also not very easy to get as good and accurate of a shot as he did on the 1-timer, another quality that Carlsson has not shown he has.

He's even got a little Werenski in him. Gotta get some brownie points from some of ya.

Carlsson was good enough to beat Nuttivara out of camp. Now whether that was because Carlsson played better or Nuttivara was struggling to find his game, we'll never know.

But it's gonna take some time for him to find his game and adjust. He's not getting ice time because Torts and shaw don't feel he's ready. No shame in that, he's twenty years old and I would wager he'll be a full time roster player within the next season or two.

And what does Gavrikov have to do with any of this. Yeah he might come over and take a spot, or he might struggle to beat out the competition (Nuttivara, Carlsson, Murray, Werenski, Jones). He's playing well in the KHL but that doesn't automatically mean he's gonna be able to step right into the NHL. How many players come over from the KHL just to return back after a season or two here because they can't cut it.

Carlsson and Gavrikov are two completely different players, I don't know why you're comparing the two. Carlsson isn't going to go out laying monster hits, but he's going to use his size, speed and positioning to cut down lanes and angles. He's still growing as a player, where as with Gavrikov you pretty much know what you're getting. We very much need a player like Gavrikov on the roster, where as Carlsson is a bit redundant rn. He needs to workout on filling out his frame and adding a lot of strength before he'll be able to lock down a full time roster spot.

Not trying to cut down Gavrikov, just tempering expectations. There's a reason Gavrikov and Nuttivara were taken so late in draft, you may say you don't care about age, but age is the reason Gabe went in the first and those two went at the very end. Doesn't mean they aren't good players, just that the jackets get a few more years to develop Carlsson, where as Nuttivara and Gavrikov are getting ready to enter their primes and its much harder to change someone's game the older they get.

Just because they were all from the same draft doesn't mean they are in the same phase of their developments

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad