Carlo Colaiacovo's Opinion on Penalties

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Interesting idea that ex-Otter and current TSN panel member Carlo Colaiacovo's idea on how penalties should be paid in the NHL. Got me thinking about how his idea would play out in the CHL level, as we all know they junior ranks always tries things first.

As he pointed out he would love to see minor penalty time limit shouldn't cancel out if the advantage team scoring with the extra player on the ice but to actually see the penalty run its full time similar to a major penalty in the CHL. You wonder if the CHL was to use this idea how teams would change how teams would manage players ice time and watch how they use those high risk high reward type players.

What would everyone's thoughts if the CHL would use that type of idea? Personally I don't know if I would use this for minor penalties on their own but double-minors would be something that would be interesting to see in the CHL.

What do people think? Would you perfer the OHL to adapt a similar type idea or would you scap it ??

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Too many rule changes as it is in the game. They tried to shorten the games so people could get home earlier in the evening with fast face offs etc. Now they spend an extra period just reviewing things referees missed or are challenged on. Refs make horrible calls sometimes and now Carlo wants the offending team to get scored on more than once during a penalty that should never have been called in the first place.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Interesting idea that ex-Otter and current TSN panel member Carlo Colaiacovo's idea on how penalties should be paid in the NHL. Got me thinking about how his idea would play out in the CHL level, as we all know they junior ranks always tries things first.

As he pointed out he would love to see minor penalty time limit shouldn't cancel out if the advantage team scoring with the extra player on the ice but to actually see the penalty run its full time similar to a major penalty in the CHL. You wonder if the CHL was to use this idea how teams would change how teams would manage players ice time and watch how they use those high risk high reward type players.

What would everyone's thoughts if the CHL would use that type of idea? Personally I don't know if I would use this for minor penalties on their own but double-minors would be something that would be interesting to see in the CHL.

What do people think? Would you perfer the OHL to adapt a similar type idea or would you scap it ??
This was actually the original rule. It was changed for the 1956/57 NHL season presumably because the Canadiens were extremely strong in that era.

That said you'll never see this rule come back into play. The league is all about making the games more competitive, this would achieve the opposite of that.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This would place greater emphasis on 1st & 2nd Power Play Units. How does that help development of those players not designated to be on either unit ? Teams do not only consist of elite players, but this idea seemingly elevates their importance. In a league that promotes itself as a development league, this idea seems contrary to the stated ideal.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
This was actually the original rule. It was changed for the 1956/57 NHL season presumably because the Canadiens were extremely strong in that era.

Anytime I've heard about the rule being amended the Habs of those days were always the reason given. You're correct though, they won't change that rule back for the same reasons you gave, not too mention how much more impact an official could have on the game with a poor call as @bobber suggested.

A more entertaining discussion could be rewarding a shorthanded team who scores with a get out jail for free card, meaning the penalty expires no matter which team scores.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree, goal scored penalty over. My twist on this was if there is a minor penalty assessed then the guilty player must stay on the ice to kill the penalty for its duration. Team sends someone else to the box. Why reward the guilty trip penalty with a nice rest in the box. Make them work there butt off on the ice a few times would be a deterient the next time around.
Thought of this while I was resting in the penalty box for the second time in one period.lol.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Too many rule changes as it is in the game. They tried to shorten the games so people could get home earlier in the evening with fast face offs etc. Now they spend an extra period just reviewing things referees missed or are challenged on. Refs make horrible calls sometimes and now Carlo wants the offending team to get scored on more than once during a penalty that should never have been called in the first place.
Here's how to shorten the game.

Restrict video replays to questionable goals only, and limit review time to 3 minutes.

Drop overtime and shootouts. They don't belong in hockey.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Here's how to shorten the game.

Restrict video replays to questionable goals only, and limit review time to 3 minutes.

Drop overtime and shootouts. They don't belong in hockey.
Up until 1942 overtime was played in the NHL. It was eliminated due to the war. It was intrduced in 1921and originally 20 minutes. In 1927 it was reduced to 10 minutes and in 1928 it was changed to non-sudden death

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If there is a starting point for discussion, I’d like to see the penalty still be called when a team scored on the delayed penalty. I never understood the penalty being eliminated when the team scores because they can pull their goalie. It is still 6 on 6.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
If there is a starting point for discussion, I’d like to see the penalty still be called when a team scored on the delayed penalty. I never understood the penalty being eliminated when the team scores because they can pull their goalie. It is still 6 on 6.
I have to agree. Other than a few players scoring on their own net, it doesn't seem that many goals are scored like this. And what is the benefit? You're getting an advantage anyway. If the penalty was called regardless, there would be an incentive for teams to maintain control of the puck and turn it into a real scoring chance. Next, no reviews except to verify that the puck entered the net. None, nada, nihil.

I posted this and Dallas scored on a delayed penalty against Colorado. Sigh.

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I still like the idea that the play doesnt stop if the puck goes into the safety netting...just play on.
Put me down for playing the full two minutes shorthanded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad