Player Discussion Carey Price - The Price Is Right? *Mod warning post 1284*

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
The price for him is WRONG!

He will be a mid pack goalie next season, or maybe even this season, and throughout the duration of his contract,

only our dumb GM pays a mid pack goalie 10+ mil

MB has done alot of stupid things, but this one is by far the worst, even worse then the PK trade,

price contract will be the biggest joke in the NHL

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
He is the best goalie in the league but has had a rough start and needs to be much better. He isn't worth 10.5 million but I see why he got it seeing as he as saved MB's job until this point. Either way is means we can't tank properly or get full trade value for him. Winning doesn't look like it is going to happen either so it is a lose-lose situation.

Reactions: DAChampion

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
You can't blame Price for signing the deal. The GM gave it to him. Not to mention said GM has stated on multiple occasions that Carey is the game plan. He does need to be better, but you shouldn't hold his contract over his head.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You can't blame Price for signing the deal. The GM gave it to him. Not to mention said GM has stated on multiple occasions that Carey is the game plan. He does need to be better, but you shouldn't hold his contract over his head.

For all we know, the conversation could have gone like this:

Price: I love it here and want to retire a Hab. Ideally, I'd like to be compensated accordi...

MB: Here's $80m for 8 years!

Price: Er, ok. I think we should leave some cap room for defence.

MB: No worries! Here's $82m then. I got plans for defence!

Price: Oh, thanks. $82m seems like a lot though...

MB: OK!!! $84m it is then. And don't worry about your defence. I have plans to make it better than last year.

rafalesque

Apr 9, 2017
For all we know, the conversation could have gone like this:

Price: I love it here and want to retire a Hab. Ideally, I'd like to be compensated accordi...

MB: Here's $80m for 8 years!

Price: Er, ok. I think we should leave some cap room for defence.

MB: No worries! Here's $82m then. I got plans for defence!

Price: Oh, thanks. $82m seems like a lot though...

MB: OK!!! $84m it is then. And don't worry about your defence. I have plans to make it better than last year.

its all constipation here... you were not on the phone when it happened.
MB was damned if he signed or not.
Price has put himself out of the market, but he would of received from other NHL teams think Maple Leafs... so I would of let him go and used the diff for upgrading the offence

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Gotta believe in Price , I always did and every time he did prove doubters wrong.

The problem with montreal is that just with the sheer numbers of fans theres a high volume of idiots who will always be very vocal about dismissing him.Notice how dumb people always seem to be the ones talking the most and being 100% confident in whatever crap theyre spewing.

Price is a proven superstar who can handle everything the Montreal market has to throw at him and theres always a chance he goes beast mode in the playoffs with some timely support from offense and yeah we could win a cup. Its a very long shot the way our team is built sadly but its not his fault , if everyone was as focused on improving there game as he is we would be great.

Some day when his career is over people will realise hes holding all the records for a habs goalie and maybe understand the chance they had to watch him for so long.

Reactions: habtastic

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Gotta believe in Price , I always did and every time he did prove doubters wrong.

The problem with montreal is that just with the sheer numbers of fans theres a high volume of idiots who will always be very vocal about dismissing him.Notice how dumb people always seem to be the ones talking the most and being 100% confident in whatever crap theyre spewing.

Price is a proven superstar who can handle everything the Montreal market has to throw at him and theres always a chance he goes beast mode in the playoffs with some timely support from offense and yeah we could win a cup. Its a very long shot the way our team is built sadly but its not his fault , if everyone was as focused on improving there game as he is we would be great.

Some day when his career is over people will realise hes holding all the records for a habs goalie and maybe understand the chance they had to watch him for so long.

All the "regular season" records of the Habs.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Price has been bad, but if it's going to happen this season, best now. As long as finds his game come playoffs...

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
All the "regular season" records of the Habs.

Nothing I can do for you if thats what you truly believe.I guess we'd have a bunch of cups if we had Matt Murray right ? Or maybe Corey Crawford? Has nothing to do with Crosby Malkin Kessel Toews Kane Keith, 100% goalie huh?

Apr 28, 2010
100% sure the bashers will be gone once Price gets his **** together.

Better to have the slump now than later. It's only October. This guy's not going to play this bad all year.

I suggest that people should worry about the guys in front of him who can't score. That is the real problem and what needs fixing.

Reactions: habtastic

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The Price is wrong.

There is no possibility of him living up to his contract, and I hope he somehow gets traded.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
i don't see where this "best goalie in the league" or "best goalie in the world" nonsense is coming from,

he was the best in 2015...yes....times change

he is not even top 5 today IMO

A guy I know in real life used to tell me that Price might be the best goalie in NHL history, and that he is the best player in the NHL.

Price is ridiculously overrated among many Habs fans, he's a sacred cow.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Nothing I can do for you if thats what you truly believe.I guess we'd have a bunch of cups if we had Matt Murray right ? Or maybe Corey Crawford? Has nothing to do with Crosby Malkin Kessel Toews Kane Keith, 100% goalie huh?

That would be more bearable if Price had at least been great in the playoffs. He hasn't, he's been slightly above average at best, and sometimes below average. For example, the Habs could have made the finals in 2008 if Price hadn't absolutely sucked against the Flyers.

During the Bergevin era, Price has never elevated the Habs in the playoffs nor crashed them. He's been a key part of the team, but never the best player that we needed.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Price is ridiculously overrated among many Habs fans, he's a sacred cow.

Goes from a Hart/lindsay/vezina season to “ridiculously overrated” in what? 2-3 seasons? Give your head a shake. He’s off to a bad start, and I dont like the contract either but he’s done enough to warrant some patience....more than 5 games anyway.

Reactions: Peanut

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Goes from a Hart/lindsay/vezina season to “ridiculously overrated” in what? 2-3 seasons? Give your head a shake. He’s off to a bad start, and I dont like the contract either but he’s done enough to warrant some patience....more than 5 games anyway.

His single season of dominance is the reason he's overrated now. Take that out and he's still an excellent goalie, but not the dominant game changer you pay $10.5 million per season until age 40.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Price has won many games for us over the years. There aren't too many that we've lost because of him. I didn't see the game Saturday (though I did see one of the goals and it was weak) but it sounds like he was bad. As long as he's his old self going forward then I don't care about the contract. If he dips though...

Price hasn't looked looked sharp. To my eyes, he seems slower to react, and his motion somewhat inhibited or tentative. You never know with athletes if they're nursing a deep bruise or a tweaked joint. Hopefully, he'll have more of his usual game going forward.

Half the D is new so there has to be a period where the goalie is learning to predict what these guys are likely to do. I'm not sure they know themselves, because there's been more than a few defensive CFs in our own zone.

Whatever is causing his uncommonly average play, I hope he'll work through it soon and do what he does best. If not, it'll be a hell of a long year, especially around here.

Edit: Brought this over from another thread that was locked as I was writing...

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I'm fine with his contract, and I'm not worried at all. Pretty soon, we'll be back to Jesus Pricing him. I've seen this before. And his contract really isn't hurting the club. MB is. Bigly. We're shelling out money for friggin Karl Alzner.

Who knows, if we hadn't had to rely on him, and create a scenario where his injury caused us a near tank, perhaps he wouldn't have commanded that salary, which was totally fair given the importance he ended up having to our team, purely from a negotiation POV.

He'll rebound, no pun intended. He's one of our few players who has that mentality of a champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->