Player Discussion Carey Price - Need a Jesus Price resurrection [MOD WARNING 526]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Price is deserving the repect you give him. He has been the best Montreal Canadien for years.

But I do hear the guys when they say having the best goalie in the world on a team like this is turning out to be a waste of great talent.

When someone says this team would have been better off with Kopitar than Price dont take it as a personal insult. :sarcasm: Or a rip on Carey. It is more a slight on the Canadiens and their glaring, never ending, pathetic lack of elite talent at center. Also a compliment to Kopitar. Who is also worthy of the repsect he is being shown.

Price is the best goalie the Canadiens have had since Roy. Kopitar might have been the best center they have had since Beliveau . :help:

They way things have turned out I can see why the urge to play "what if" is rearing its sometimes ugly head.

Honestly, if you gave me the choice between the following:

1.) Kopitar + a randomly chosen goaltender who played more than 40 games last season

2.) What we have now

I'd chose option 1 every time. This year it would have payed off like bitcoin.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I mean, it’s pretty easy for anyone to come on to a hockey message board after well over a decade and say “Hey! I knew who all the best players would be in their draft! I knew more then everyone!” Don’t believe this for a second because if you had actually watched and followed the players in those drafts, you would know it wasn’t as simple as what you’re implying.
Few years after when Price was benching and Huet was full time goalie, habs fans complained Price wasn't in the nets when Kopitar was on top scoring chart nhl. 110% at the time they discussed with few m*rons as usual, lol but there was Richard Labbé who said he was discussing with Timmins (before that draft) in a tournament when Kopitar scored 3 goals. Timmins wasn't even looking or being impressed by Kopitar, he was only talking about how Price was so marvelous.

So for the record, Timmins picked A. Kostytsin instead of Carter, Parizé or Getzlaf, he picked Price instead of Kopitar, picked Urquart instead of Bergeron, Ben Maxwell instead of Lucic and Fisher instead of Giroux. And 90% habs fans of this board still beleive Timmins is one of the best, he's seen as a kind of guru, lol. The rest of nhl fans elsewhere laught at you guys, this team start to look like the Maple Leafs before Sundin.

As I said, when a team has the chance to pick a top skilled center, jump on it and fast. It's like free money, take the money and run !!

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price is deserving the repect you give him. He has been the best Montreal Canadien for years.

But I do hear the guys when they say having the best goalie in the world on a team like this is turning out to be a waste of great talent.

When someone says this team would have been better off with Kopitar than Price dont take it as a personal insult. :sarcasm: Or a rip on Carey. It is more a slight on the Canadiens and their glaring, never ending, pathetic lack of elite talent at center. Also a compliment to Kopitar. Who is also worthy of the repsect he is being shown.

Price is the best goalie the Canadiens have had since Roy. Kopitar might have been the best center they have had since Beliveau . :help:

They way things have turned out I can see why the urge to play "what if" is rearing its sometimes ugly head.
I think where people go off the rails is when they say that the choice is between Price and Desharnais vs say... Kopitar and an average goalie. It totally ignores the fact that we didn't have to play Desharnais there in the first place. THAT is where we went wrong.

It's a false choice. Just because you have Carey Price it doesn't mean you should be stuck with a terrible center. What I'm saying is that with Anze Kopitar you've got at least 10 centers who are just as good. You don't really have an advantage there. With Price you've got the best goalie in the league.

We got lucky enough to have drafted two guys with HOF talent in Subban and Price. That's not something you trade away, it's something you build on. There's no reason we couldn't have either developed Chuck properly or traded him for a number one.

You want to argue that Kopitar would've been better than Price for us to draft? Okay... I disagree. I'll take the best goalie over the 10th best center. But either way we'd have gotten a really good player to build with and I'd be happy. Regardless of who we drafted though the problems we had came AFTER that draft.

Reactions: Aspirine and Mrb1p

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Few years after when Price was benching and Huet was full time goalie, habs fans complained Price wasn't in the nets when Kopitar was on top scoring chart nhl. 110% at the time they discussed with few m*rons as usual, lol but there was Richard Labbé who said he was discussing with Timmins (before that draft) in a tournament when Kopitar scored 3 goals. Timmins wasn't even looking or being impressed by Kopitar, he was only talking about how Price was so marvelous.

So for the record, Timmins picked A. Kostytsin instead of Carter, Parizé or Getzlaf, he picked Price instead of Kopitar, picked Urquart instead of Bergeron, Ben Maxwell instead of Lucic and Fisher instead of Giroux. And 90% habs fans of this board still beleive Timmins is one of the best, he's seen as a kind of guru, lol. The rest of nhl fans elsewhere laught at you guys, this team start to look like the Maple Leafs before Sundin.

As I said, when a team has the chance to pick a top skilled center, jump on it and fast. It's like free money, take the money and run !!

Timmins is definitely no Guru but he was right about Price, clearly wrong about Kopitar as he wasn’t even our second choice and he slid down the draft farther. You can say 9 other teams were wrong as well, and we made out the best of the teams not named Pittsburgh. When you start getting further into the draft, it’s a lot harder to project. The Kostysn was just awful. I’m not going to defend our scouts tho as I’ve been preaching they should be cleaned out for almost 10 years.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think where people go off the rails is when they say that the choice is between Price and Desharnais vs say... Kopitar and an average goalie. It totally ignores the fact that we didn't have to play Desharnais there in the first place. THAT is where we went wrong.

It's a false choice. Just because you have Carey Price it doesn't mean you should be stuck with a terrible center. What I'm saying is that with Anze Kopitar you've got at least 10 centers who are just as good. You don't really have an advantage there. With Price you've got the best goalie in the league.

We got lucky enough to have drafted two guys with HOF talent in Subban and Price. That's not something you trade away, it's something you build on. There's no reason we couldn't have either developed Chuck properly or traded him for a number one.

You want to argue that Kopitar would've been better than Price for us to draft? Okay... I disagree. I'll take the best goalie over the 10th best center. But either way we'd have gotten a really good player to build with and I'd be happy. Regardless of who we drafted though the problems we had came AFTER that draft.

You’re right on this point LG. Even if we were better off taking Kopitar, we’ve had 12 drafts since to draft centers and we’ve failed to draft even one solid top 6 C. To make it worse, because of the terrible drafting, we had to give up players like McDonagh and Sergachev to try and fix it and we STILL don’t haven’t found one.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You’re right on this point LG. Even if we were better off taking Kopitar, we’ve had 12 drafts since to draft centers and we’ve failed to draft even one solid top 6 C. To make it worse, because of the terrible drafting, we had to give up players like McDonagh and Sergachev to try and fix it and we STILL don’t haven’t found one.

Choosing Price probably would have worked out if we picked Giroux in 2006 (nevar 4get). However, just because you can compensate for a suboptimal draft choice with a good draft choice later doesn't make it particularly good. IMO, it would've been even better if we drafted Kopitar and Giroux than Price and Giroux. There's been a litany of quality starters traded for a song since then.

#centersovergoaliesalways

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not our drafting that's the problem, it's mgmt overall. Galchenyuk is example X of this. I think we drafted the right guy, we just didn't develop him. And once again we could've traded him for a center if we wanted to accelerate the process or didn't believe in him.

If people want to quibble about Kopitar over Price that's fine and dandy. Where I object is when they come in and say that drafting Price is the reason we haven't won. That's just totally stupid as far as I'm concerned. Esp when you have to cherrypick a player taken 5 picks later to try to make the argument. Drafting good players is how you win. Even if you want to argue we didn't get the best player available we still did incredibly well at the draft table for the most part before MB got here. The foundation of a strong team was there. We just never did anything to improve it. And worse... we did much to ruin it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Choosing Price probably would have worked out if we picked Giroux in 2006 (nevar 4get). However, just because you can compensate for a suboptimal draft choice with a good draft choice later doesn't make it particularly good. IMO, it would've been even better if we drafted Kopitar and Giroux than Price and Giroux. There's been a litany of quality starters traded for a song since then.

#centersovergoaliesalways

I do agree the priorities were backwards. But I also think a Price/Kopitar swap doesn’t really change the position we’re in. At the end of the day, we’re talking about one player, and it wouldn’t matter if it was Crosby, if you don’t build a team around him, you get what’s happening to the Oilers in Edmonton. Maybe we’re a little better having that center without a top 5 goalie, but that wouldn’t have made us contenders.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I do agree the priorities were backwards. But I also think a Price/Kopitar swap doesn’t really change the position we’re in. At the end of the day, we’re talking about one player, and it wouldn’t matter if it was Crosby, if you don’t build a team around him, you get what’s happening to the Oilers in Edmonton. Maybe we’re a little better having that center without a top 5 goalie, but that wouldn’t have made us contenders.

That's a big part of why I turned on Price and the idea of drafting goalies high in the first place. Imagine your draft pick is a once every 5 year player: a special talent. You can choose what position that player plays. I would pick center, since it leaves me the easiest task to build around them. Quality defencemen are drafted with later picks all the time, and goaltenders can be had for a song.

Every Montreal fan intimately knows the impossibly high price of a top 10 centerman on the trade market.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
And above average goalie and a #1C. Something like Talbot + Draisaitl, just for an example. Haven't analyzed anything specifically.

That'd be dope. Most of the offers I posted on the trade rumours board were made with the desire to not be called a Pejorative Slur or told to kill myself in mind. That being said I'd probably fight someone for Chytil and Connor right now all the same.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That'd be dope. Most of the offers I posted on the trade rumours board were made with the desire to not be called a ****** or told to kill myself in mind. That being said I'd probably fight someone for Chytil and Connor right now all the same.
Sometimes I think trying to propose on other teams boards a trade to get a top center, offering Price. And then I back off. Nah !! I don't want people laught at me, I'm not masochist, I don't need to be humiliated.

Rating Price very high is fine on Mtl Board but that idolation doesn't cross this board. What center they will offer me for Price? Paul Statsny? I want Draisaitl or Malkin.
The top five player on the league according to Sportsnet or whatever bs media doesn't value a top 10 center on the trading market. Just an advice : don't beleive everything the bs media tells you. The reality is : Habs have nothing valuable to get a top 10 center of the league, absolutely nothing. You want the proof? We won't get any top 10 center by trade, mark my words.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Sometimes I think trying to propose on other teams boards a trade to get a top center, offering Price. And then I back off. Nah !! I don't want people laught at me, I'm not masochist, I don't need to be humiliated.

Rating Price very high is fine on Mtl Board but that idolation doesn't cross this board. What center they will offer me for Price? Paul Statsny? I want Draisaitl or Malkin.
The top five player on the league according to Sportsnet or whatever bs media doesn't value a top 10 center on the trading market. Just an advice : don't beleive everything the bs media tells you. The reality is : Habs have nothing valuable to get a top 10 center of the league, absolutely nothing. You want the proof? We won't get any top 10 center by trade, mark my words.

While Price is still 30, there’s GM’s wetting their pants at him being on their team. Older he gets, the situation changes. He stole us a game tonight.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He played a good game tonight. I just don't think he's a guy you can run with right now. He plays better when he gets 2 days off before the next game.

CJ has been riding him hard since coming back from injury, including the back to back, 3 games in 4 nights.

Anyways, good to see him back to form. I just can't see Habs trading the guy.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Honestly, if you gave me the choice between the following:

1.) Kopitar + a randomly chosen goaltender who played more than 40 games last season

2.) What we have now

I'd chose option 1 every time. This year it would have payed off like bitcoin.
Unless you got last year's version of Kopitar, who was trash.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
An above average goalie and a #1C. Something like Talbot + Draisaitl, just for an example. Haven't analyzed anything specifically.

Draisaitl hasn’t even shown he can be a consistent 2c let alone a 1c. May want to slow your role before you start trading the farm for an $8 million question mark and another question mark in goal.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Anyone knows why Carey Price doesnt care saluting the fans at the end of the game. And this guy is supposed to be our leader???

What a bum, I really hope the new GM get rid of this self-entitled prick. Hes not deserving of that big contract

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Anyone knows why Carey Price doesnt care saluting the fans at the end of the game. And this guy is supposed to be our leader???

What a bum, I really hope the new GM get rid of this self-entitled prick. Hes not deserving of that big contract
Well first off it's a stupid tradition started by the Rangers. Second, he's struggled and our "knowledgeable" fan base has been hard on him. The idea of calling him a self entitled prick because he doesn't raise his stick makes one wonder who the self entitled really are.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The whole fiasco with his family likely has a lot to do with it. It’s a stupid fan salute. Who cares. He stole that game and that’s all that matters.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

He seems pissed off since the reports on his wife leaving him etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad