Carey Price is going to be a big star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I really don't know why this guy isn't considered to 5 right now. I had the luxery of seeing him play more than a few times now. He is the best draft eligable keeper I've seen in the Dub in a good long while now.

Why?

Guy makes huge, ginormous saves that flat out should not happen. I always said the biggest thing about Dubnyk is that most nights he plays well he never seems like he won the game on his back. Price seems carried his team so much, it's a wonder he came out looking as good as he did.

Anyhow, I think he'll be a guy GM's wish they took in the top 5 if they don't.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Top 5 would be a huge waste. He would have to be nominated for a Vezina by 23 yo to make that pick worth it.
As it is, I believe that at the same time you'll finally be getting returns on your highly picked goalie, you may be packing his bags for another city. The 27 yo UFA should kill any GM's desire to pick a goalie in the 1st round.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Tuukka Rask will be a better goalie than Carey Price IMO. I am not a big Price fan, seen him play in person a few times and he did nothing for me, looks like he losses focus alot in the game and needs to get better with his movement in the crease.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What happened to Price at the U-18's? He looked shaky in a few games, just a tough tournament for him? Perhaps knowing the tournament was being broadcast across Canada effected him? I rarely get to see the WHLers outside a handful of tv games being on the east coast.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
trentmccleary said:
Top 5 would be a huge waste. He would have to be nominated for a Vezina by 23 yo to make that pick worth it.
As it is, I believe that at the same time you'll finally be getting returns on your highly picked goalie, you may be packing his bags for another city. The 27 yo UFA should kill any GM's desire to pick a goalie in the 1st round.

Maybe not top 5, but he'll definitely go first round. This guy warrants it, even with the lowered UFA age. If he turns out to be what he is projected to be, he is worth paying franchise player money.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Perhaps he makes those HUGE spectacular saves because he is out of position? Its not all about making huge flashy stops. Good goalies make the saves look easy.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
La-La-Laprise said:
Perhaps he makes those HUGE spectacular saves because he is out of position? Its not all about making huge flashy stops. Good goalies make the saves look easy.
True said. Good golies dont look good they just seem to have everything hit them

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
La-La-Laprise said:

Part of it is that. He made a couple mistakes against Seattle this year, one big one I can remember, clearing right onto a T-Bird stick for a goal. But in the playoffs he was there where he needed to be and was really the only player that kept that series from being a sweep and a complete walk.

2.22GA and a .937SP in 5 playoff games isn't too bad when you are playing a team that was ranked in the CHL top 10 most of the year.

OMA

Mar 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Like the majority of the posters here, I'm not a big fan of taking a goalie in the 1st round. It just seems like such a big risk taking a goalie when you consider what would likely be on the board.

That said, I know that the Calgary Scouts (and Sutter for that matter) really do like Carey Price...

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
I really don't know why this guy isn't considered to 5 right now. I had the luxery of seeing him play more than a few times now. He is the best draft eligable keeper I've seen in the Dub in a good long while now.

Why?

Guy makes huge, ginormous saves that flat out should not happen. I always said the biggest thing about Dubnyk is that most nights he plays well he never seems like he won the game on his back. Price seems carried his team so much, it's a wonder he came out looking as good as he did.

Why don't you wait till he reaches the NHL!! Crosby will probably be a star, but beyond that it isn't clear.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think it's partly due to high-end potential of this year's draft. Guys like Brule, Johnson, Ryan, Kopitar, and of course, Crosby, have star potential. (I'm not sold on Pouliot, but a lot of scouts think he has first-line star written all over him).

I like Price a lot. I think he's the best goalie in the draft. I think he would have definitely gone in the top 5 of last year's crapshoot. (Likely No. 4). Price will go top 10, top 15 at worst. At this stage, it's where he belongs.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I say that we shouldn't predict whether players are going to be stars until they have retired from hockey. Otherwise it is merely speculation.

Likewise, we shouldn't try to predict where players will be drafted until the draft is completed. :teach:

Upside

Jul 15, 2005
steblick said:
I say that we shouldn't predict whether players are going to be stars until they have retired from hockey. Otherwise it is merely speculation.

Likewise, we shouldn't try to predict where players will be drafted until the draft is completed. :teach:

Interesting I guess we should also stop trying to project how players will develope or how much upside they have as well. So that would close down the scouting Buisness just take the highest scorers :shakehead

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
At a Giants game earlier this year, I was seated next to an NHL scout (I didn't ask which team). He was watching Price mostly, and said that he felt Price would be a top 10 pick. So who knows..

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
steblick said:

I was being facetious (I thought that was clear actually- especially given the illogical 'draft' comment). Actually, I have echoed Vlad's point (earlier in this thread) on numerous occasions on HF Boards.

I get a kick out of people saying things like "We shouldn't make a big deal out of Crosby until he's been in the NHL for at least 5 years" or "We won't know how good player X is until he's in the NHL so we don't know if he'll be a star or not". And, again, such comments appear on this thread.

As you said, it obviates the whole point of discussion about prospects, predicting, projecting....scouting, in short.

Last edited:

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Price the "Star"

Yes he has the potential. His puckhandling skills are outstanding for sure. He has pretty good size. I think he will develop into top goaltender in the future. Right now he is inconsistent like many 17 yr old goaltenders, but he has great Potential!

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Those of you who are doing Mock Drafts:

Figure out where you'll put him then put him 2 - 5 spots higher than that.

Goaltenders as of late are going higher and higher. Lehtonen, Di Pietro, Montoya - teams aren't afraid of taking them in the top 5 anymore.

I think it would be a huge waste of a pick to take a guy like Pouliot or Kopitar over Price however, but this is just my opinion.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:

Why?

Seems you were bang on Jay. Nice call :handclap:

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
I hope you're right Jay, because he if doesn't pan out Bob Gainey will never hear the end of it. The Montreal medias will give him hell. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->