Carey Price and the Dogs win the Calder Cup!!!! Price Calder Cup playoffs MVP!

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
If it wasnt for their contracts in Russia Valentenko and Emelin would have played on D in Hamilton.
I just dont know how the Habs are going to manage all the prospects they have. There are a whole bunch of them who will/should play in the NHL within the next 2 years(arround 10) and there wont be enough place on the NHL roster I think. Some tough choices will have to be made and some guys might have to be traded in a package for an established player or something.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
The primary difference between the two teams, Marlies and Bulldogs, is on the defence where Hamilton has more experience. That type of experience helps the goalie quite a bit, Halak was putting up outstanding numbers there also. While the top 8 forwards are 84 or later births the only one who has a point a game is Kostitsyn in his third AHL season.

A team that plays well defensively is obviously well coached but the individual accomplishments need to be taken into account also.

I agree with everything you have said. There is no doubt that Halak and Price were helped by the Bulldog's comitment to defense. However, do you agree that the Bulldogs as a team are not one that seemed to be built with winning the Cup as a primary goal over developing young players for the NHL? Given the realitive youth found throughout the line up.

Greatguru

Aug 3, 2006
Hamilton defense more experienced? I'm looking at your Marlies defensemen and they are averaging 25,7 years old while the Dogs are averaging 24,1... and three of your defensemen are 30 years old and older...

mooseOAK*

I agree with everything you have said. There is no doubt that Halak and Price were helped by the Bulldog's comitment to defense. However, do you agree that the Bulldogs as a team are not one that seemed to be built with winning the Cup as a primary goal over developing young players for the NHL? Given the realitive youth found throughout the line up.

Seeing that Hamilton is a locally and independently owned franchise who has a fan base that they have to keep happy is going to put more of an emphasis on winning while at the same time maintaining a good relationship with Montreal.

mooseOAK*

Hamilton defense more experienced? I'm looking at your Marlies defensemen and they are averaging 25,7 years old while the Dogs are averaging 24,1... and three of your defensemen are 30 years old and older...

Brad Brown played 36 games, but sucks anyway. Pilar played 10 games after sitting out almost two complete seasons.

Tendresse

Capitaine Gorges
Dec 23, 2006
Montréal
I didn't get to read the last 2 pages, but I want to point out how awesome colonel_korn's post about Habs fan's reaction when we drafted Price is.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Oh please. If you can find me another example of so many fans spewing out so much vitriol about a draft pick, only to be completely hanging off his nuts two years later then I'd love to see it.

It's basketball, not hockey, and the drastic change of opinion happened in two months, not two years, but how about Charlie Villanueva?

This kind of swing in opinion is a lot more than just "changing your mind", which is exactly why it's so funny.

I agree it's funny, but it speaks more to armchair scouts than Carey Price's ability (I know you were just juxtaposing the reactions, but I just want to make a general observation). A lot of people are experts without ever seeing someone play (like believing the draft will play out exactly as mock drafts predict and that reading a few scouting reports gives them an omniscient understanding of a player), and then get their panties in a bunch when professionals who have seen the players play make a choice they, the armchair scouts, think is off the wall. Certainly you can question choices, that's what forums are for, but if you don't have first hand knowledge, you'd probably be best served to give the benefit of the doubt, even if it's just so you don't look foolish two years down the line. If you've seen a guy a lot and disagree with the choice, that's different and argue to your heart's content because at least you won't be arguing out of ignorance.

Hopefully people can learn from these draft reactions and not fly off the handle this year if their team picks a guy who they hate, but have never seen play, or who doesn't make any sense, though they have no real understanding of their GM's plans. Question and debate, but don't go insane or assume your GM and scouting staff has had lobotomies.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Brad Brown played 36 games, but sucks anyway. Pilar played 10 games after sitting out almost two complete seasons.

Okay kids, I think we are through the looking glass now. . . do we use Brad Brown as an example of a desperate Leaf signing, or is he another failed Hab first-rounder?

You know what? Who cares? Way to go Carey, and if you're listening: this thread is kind of what it's like in the Montrel media.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Oh please. If you can find me another example of so many fans spewing out so much vitriol about a draft pick, only to be completely hanging off his nuts two years later then I'd love to see it. This kind of swing in opinion is a lot more than just "changing your mind", which is exactly why it's so funny.

"Only fools and dead men don't change their minds. Fools won't and dead men can't.":teach:

GSK*

Wow... So many trolling by Leafs fans...

If Erik Johnson or Jonathan Toews had a great and spectacular season like Price everybody would appreciate. Why Habs prospect are always looking like **** ?

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal

If Erik Johnson or Jonathan Toews had a great and spectacular season like Price everybody would appreciate. Why Habs prospect are always looking like **** ?

It's the sheer number of posts by hab fans....and in there you find quite a few going overboard. This is not helping us.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
It's basketball, not hockey, and the drastic change of opinion happened in two months, not two years, but how about Charlie Villanueva?

I agree it's funny, but it speaks more to armchair scouts than Carey Price's ability (I know you were just juxtaposing the reactions, but I just want to make a general observation). A lot of people are experts without ever seeing someone play (like believing the draft will play out exactly as mock drafts predict and that reading a few scouting reports gives them an omniscient understanding of a player), and then get their panties in a bunch when professionals who have seen the players play make a choice they, the armchair scouts, think is off the wall. Certainly you can question choices, that's what forums are for, but if you don't have first hand knowledge, you'd probably be best served to give the benefit of the doubt, even if it's just so you don't look foolish two years down the line. If you've seen a guy a lot and disagree with the choice, that's different and argue to your heart's content because at least you won't be arguing out of ignorance.

Hopefully people can learn from these draft reactions and not fly off the handle this year if their team picks a guy who they hate, but have never seen play, or who doesn't make any sense, though they have no real understanding of their GM's plans. Question and debate, but don't go insane or assume your GM and scouting staff has had lobotomies.

Very well said, and if I did have a point other than just to laugh at some of the overreactions from that old thread (especially in the context of today) then that would pretty much be it. :)

Except in Vancouver, where we know for a fact that our scouting staff is more or less lobotomized :biglaugh:

Ape Clutch

Jul 19, 2004
Of course he could have, but he didn't, ergo Neidermayer's the better pick. Right? All things remaining the same, nobody would choose Lindros over Neidermayer again. Well nobody not named Raoul Duke or Lindros_for_rizzle, I suppose.

Lindros was the better pick, that the NHL did not do its job on cracking down on head shots does not make Lindros a worse pick... it means the NHL didn't do its job...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I've seen 3 Leafs fans and one of them was extremely complimentary (and he always seems to be) of Price/Habs prospects.

Congrats to Price, the game or two I saw he was hit and miss, but he definately moved very well and was extremely impressive on average. I unfortunately saw probably his only weak game in the playoffs, but I still liked the way he handled himself.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Lindros was the better pick, that the NHL did not do its job on cracking down on head shots does not make Lindros a worse pick... it means the NHL didn't do its job...

So what you're telling me is that if you had to do that draft all over again, knowing exactly how every player's career would pan out, you would still take Lindros over Neidermayer?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I was shocked at the poison that was being spewed towards the habs mangement when price was taken by the habs.

Pierre McGuire was furious and said that the habs needed to take a guy like skille. Some habs fans were also extremely pissed and said some amazingly rude things about Gainey and Timmins.

But the way I looked at it back then and the way I look at it now... if there's one position that the habs seem to draft and develop players very well, it is goaltending. For that reason, I just couldn't help but to give the benefit of the doubt to the habs brass.

Although, I can understand part of the frustration about drafting him because the habs looked deep in goaltending at the time with a solid prospect in Danis, and Jose Theodore looked to be the #1 goalie for many years to come... my how times change fast.

BobbyFischer*

...But Gilbert Brule is that powerforward montreal has always been looking for..

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
So basically you're jealous...that's all i'm getting from you're explanation.

Did someone make you a mod or somethin'? You're now advising everyone on what is thread worthy?

What's your point?

And if you're trying to say what Strahlman and Kulemin did were Outstanding accomplishments, than what does that say about what Carey Price has done this year?

Being the top defenceman in the SEL as 20-year-old is a better accomplishment than any of what Price has accomplished. IMO of course.

But nothing to take away from Price. What he did this year was very impressive.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Someone posed the question on the Habs board and although it seemed insane at first, it sparked some interesting debate. Could Price have the potential to be a better pick than Crosby?

Before you go on flaming me and posting that green laughing dude smiley 100 times, think about it. Assuming Price hits his absolute highest potential (Brodeur-type franchise goalie) and Crosby stays his usual league-leading dominating self. I guess it comes down to the classic "would you want a star forward or a star goalie" debate, but like I said, it's an entertaining notion...and one which nobody would've even thought of considering when the pick was announced, least of all Hab fans ;)
with crosby though, the question is more like, "would you want a generational forward or a star goalie".

sure it's possible, but it's also possible that marc staal ends up better too. basically, very very unlikely. there's no reason to even bring up the comparison until price is the best goalie in the NHL, on his way to one of the best goalies of all time.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I was shocked at the poison that was being spewed towards the habs mangement when price was taken by the habs.

Pierre McGuire was furious and said that the habs needed to take a guy like skille. Some habs fans were also extremely pissed and said some amazingly rude things about Gainey and Timmins.

But the way I looked at it back then and the way I look at it now... if there's one position that the habs seem to draft and develop players very well, it is goaltending. For that reason, I just couldn't help but to give the benefit of the doubt to the habs brass.

Although, I can understand part of the frustration about drafting him because the habs looked deep in goaltending at the time with a solid prospect in Danis, and Jose Theodore looked to be the #1 goalie for many years to come... my how times change fast.
True, I was going to point that out. I think the majority of Habs fans, myself included, were upset at the Price pick not because we thought he wasn't going to be a decent goalie but because at the time drafting a goalie didn't seem necessary. Theodore wasn't complete garbage then and there was still hope he'd return to form, Danis was looking like a decent prospect and Huet had just been picked up. Our defense was weak and our forwards could still be improved so somone like M. Staal or Brule seemed more attractive on draft day. However, Theodore went to ****, Huet has been up and down and Danis hasn't developed as well as many of us would have liked so the Price pick is now obviously looking excellent so most of us are eating our words but I guess thats a good thing in this case.

Last edited:

Victory Ali*

Carey Price is going to be the next franchise goalie. He's simply amazing and I loved watching him grow up in the WHL. I have every confidence that he's going be a legendary goalie.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Being the top defenceman in the SEL as 20-year-old is a better accomplishment than any of what Price has accomplished. IMO of course.

But nothing to take away from Price. What he did this year was very impressive.

Ha, ha, ha, Price won his country a World Junior and he won a Calder Cup praticly by himself. Winning is everything so Price's accomplishment are obviously bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad