Carey Price and the Dogs win the Calder Cup!!!! Price Calder Cup playoffs MVP!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Outstanding accomplishments in leagues that aren't the NHL is the point I was trying to get across and I am sure that many, many people would have reminded me of that.

It's funny...Carey Price with all he's done this year isn't worthy of a thread according to you...but doing a quick search of your post history shows that...

Paris Hilton's previous forays into ice hockey are???

mooseOAK*

I'm sorry...maybe it's just me, but all i'm getting from you is sour grapes.

It's almost as though you're upset he won the Calder Cup and MVP, you're trying to tell me their wouldn't be a similar thread had Justin Pogge done the same?

Please, come on mooseOAK...I know you despise the Habs but this is ridiculous and I know you're a much better poster than that.

Leafs fans as a rule don't put nearly as much effort into promoting their prospects as Habs fans do. Pogge's accomplishments, WJC MVP, CHL goalie of the year, WHL goalie of the year, CHL player of the year finalist, didn't get a lot of play in here at all.

But really, don't you think that the whole Price thing has gone a little overboard? It is the AHL and Hamilton had one of the best defensive teams in the league before he even showed up.

mooseOAK*

It's funny...Carey Price with all he's done this year isn't worthy of a thread according to you...but doing a quick search of your post history shows that...

Paris Hilton's previous forays into ice hockey are???

A thread, one thread is all that has been dedicated to Price? Are you kidding me?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
When you make a comparison between an established star and an unproven (albeit talented) commodity it can easily be construed as hype. It’s perfectly fine to pose the question “Who is more valuable, a franchise forward or a franchise goaltenderâ€, which I suspect is your point. However, if you’re going to pose that question it only makes sense to do so in general terms or if you compare two players with similar accomplishments. Why not ask a question such as: “If the 2005 draft was tomorrow - Would you take Price ahead of Bobby Ryan or Benoit Pouliot?†Throwing Crosby into the mix only invites ridicule.

Fair enough, you make a good point. I compared Price to Crosby because Price is (as of now) the best goalie from that draft while Crosby is by far the best player, but I see where you're coming from.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Leafs fans as a rule don't put nearly as much effort into promoting their prospects as Habs fans do. Pogge's accomplishments, WJC MVP, CHL goalie of the year, WHL goalie of the year, CHL player of the year finalist, didn't get a lot of play in here at all.

Yes he accomplished all that....wearing Micheline Tire Man equipment. As soon as he had to take them off, THUD was the sound of his prospect status IN A LEAGUE OUTSIDE THE NHL. As a result, all those accomplishments are now questionable since he couldn't follow it up in a league higher than Junior (unlike Price). The various hockey leagues below the NHL are littered with great CHL players who couldn't duplicate their accomplishements in the pro ranks.

But really, don't you think that the whole Price thing has gone a little overboard? It is the AHL and Hamilton had one of the best defensive teams in the league before he even showed up.

If Hamilton was so great what was the 40 shot per night deal that Price faced?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Probably...but that's because there's so many Habs fans.

But Carey Price is worthy of all the praise he's receiving right now. If you think there's too many threads, why don't you do a google search on all the Price articles right now

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Outstanding accomplishments in leagues that aren't the NHL is the point I was trying to get across and I am sure that many, many people would have reminded me of that.

There is a reason why this site is called Hockey's Future. If you understood this this debate would not be going on.

mooseOAK*

Yes he accomplished all that....wearing Micheline Tire Man equipment. As soon as he had to take them off, THUD was the sound of his prospect status IN A LEAGUE OUTSIDE THE NHL. As a result, all those accomplishments are now questionable since he couldn't follow it up in a league higher than Junior (unlike Price). The various hockey leagues below the NHL are littered with great CHL players who couldn't duplicate their accomplishements in the pro ranks.

If Hamilton was so great what was the 40 shot per night deal that Price faced?

The situations were hardly identical, the Marlies graduated 8 guys to the NHL before Pogge showed up and because of that he was playing behind a lot of inexperienced players, 5 to 8 rookies on any given night. Every goalie that played for them had worse stats than they did the season before.

Montreal and Toronto approach the AHL differently, the Leafs own their team and use it for development purposes primarily while the ownership of Hamilton wants to win a Calder Cup primarily.

Junk

Mar 15, 2007
Agreed that Habs fans praise their Prospects wayy too much, You said theres alot of Hab fans, you dont think theres alot of Leaf fans?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Agreed that Habs fans praise their Prospects wayy too much, You said theres alot of Hab fans, you dont think theres alot of Leaf fans?

That's because Hab fans have more talented prospects to hype compared to what Leaf fans have :naughty:

(KIDDING, KIDDING)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

What about a thread that was started not too long ago entitled "Who's better than Justin Pogge" and didn't last only 1 day if I remember.... But how many threads about Rask when you guys had him? And now Kulemin? Obviously, you actually need prospects to do good to actually have something to talk about (that's a joke...;))

Having said that, it wouldn't be the first time when there's too many threads about a subject, just need a little merge and it wouldn't look as bad. And he did accomplish something quite impressive thus far and worth mentioning.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The situations were hardly identical, the Marlies graduated 8 guys to the NHL before Pogge showed up and because of that he was playing behind a lot of inexperienced players, 5 to 8 rookies on any given night. Every goalie that played for them had worse stats than they did the season before.

Montreal and Toronto approach the AHL differently, the Leafs own their team and use it for development purposes primarily while the ownership of Hamilton wants to win a Calder Cup primarily.

Hilarious...let's see.

Rookies for Hamilton Bulldogs this year

Mikhail Grabovsky
Matt D'Agostini
Kyle Chipchura
Cory Urquhart
Michael Lambert - not sure if he is or not
Danny Groulx
Ryan O'Byrne
Mathieu Aubin
Jarsolav Halak - played in only 13 games the year before
John Gleed
Carey Price

Looks like the Habs have been using their farm team for development purposes while also being able to win a Calder trophy. The Bulldogs had as many rookies in their lineup every night just like the Marlies did, + they managed to win the Calder Cup despite having their best player, and one of the AHL's best players Andrei Kostisyn out of the lineup all playoffs.

"The Leafs use their farm team for development purposes"...who have they developped?

Kyle Wellwood, Carlo Colaicovo...who else?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Ask Dogs fans about that. Some reports and complaints from fans and journalists about how Habs didn't respect Hamilton enough lately and that the franchise was better served with Edmonton. And then, how about that lack of respect to start that fringe inexperienced rookie in net this year for the playoffs instead of the AHL goalie of the year.....Clearly, development was on Gainey's mind when he added Price to the roster and Halak to the Worlds. The only think the Hamilton ownership did to agree with your point, is bring guys like Manlow and Baines to the team. But then it did serve the Habs rookies well to play with such veterans on the team. But the rest of the team was purely made for development purposes with tons of rookies aboard.

Junk

Mar 15, 2007
Hilarious...let's see.

Mikhail Grabovsky
Matt D'Agostini
Kyle Chipchura
Cory Urquhart
Danny Groulx
Ryan O'Byrne
Mathieu Aubin
John Gleed
Carey Price

Looks like the Habs have been using their farm team for development purposes while also being able to win a Calder trophy. The Bulldogs had as many rookies in their lineup every night just like the Marlies did, + they managed to win the Calder Cup despite having their best player, and one of the AHL's best players Andrei Kostisyn out of the lineup all playoffs.

"The Leafs use their farm team for development purposes"...who have they developped?

Steen, Stajan, White, Pohl (For 1 Season) and Ponikarovsky awhile back

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Steen, Stajan, White, Pohl (For 1 Season) and Ponikarovsky awhile back

He's not talking about awhile back, he's talking about this year...the Bulldogs if anything had more rookies in their lineup than the Marlies.

Either way, we could go back 3 or 4 years, the Bulldogs (via the Habs) have always put an emphasis on player development as much as success, much moreso than the Marlies.

The Marlies stunk this year because their devoid of any prospect who can make an immediate impact + the veterans they used to use to stack their team are either too old (Brad Leeb, Marc Moro) or have moved on (David Ling, Harold Druken, Nathan Barrett) or just aren't good enough anymore ( Erik Westrum, Tyson Nash)

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
What a difference two years makes...

Habs 2005 draft thread

I don't like that at all.

Price?

Brule was needed.

Why?
Carey Price?

*** Esti
one word : OUCH
You've GOT to be ****ing kidding me!!!

Price?? *** is this crap... ANOTHER goalie????
I hate this team.

We have a top 5 pick in a top heavy draft, and we go off the boards and take a goalie. Beautiful.
Bob is a disappointment. A joke.
All Together Now, Let's Chant At Mr. Gainey.

YOU F'd UP!
YOU F'd UP!
YOU F'd UP!
Price... PUKE!! Wasted pick.
Terrible pick. Brule and O'Marra will be stars at the WJC and we will look back on this day as a big mistake.

I had a funny feeling when we got the 5th pick, that we would %&*k it up, and we did.
I only made 1 thread last month and that was to just say don't srewup and don't make me cry, they just officially screwed me over, i know this from kastisyn experiance they find a way yo screw over fans, weather. Danis is more then capable of doing the job why do we need another goalie sending wrong message to young goalie.
Ridiculous. There better be some sort of explanation like we were picking for a team because this is a complete and utter joke.

Staal and Skille sure don't sound bad now.
i am so dissapointed... i felt a sharp pain in my stomach when timmins said carey price.

without a doubt the worst possible pick with all the players still available.

They (and we) are going to regret this...i feel like crying
What a ****ing joke this is even worse than Peanut houle could have ever done.
We never had a chance to pick this high since 1984 and this is what we get???
This is the stupidest pick i've ever seen from the montreal canadiens staff since ..ever!
Bob is genius ? give me a ****ing break!
Well, that's it for me, the Habs have officially lost a fan.....

I can't stand such a stupid pick

Timmins, Gainey and Savard are a bunch of dummies

Farewell

...it just goes on and on for pages. :biglaugh:

Who says Habs fans are fickle? :sarcasm:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm gonna make a bold prediction:

Carey Price will have a better career than Dan Cloutier.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
as a leaf fan, i'm very bitter about this. i want to get excited about pogge, but i just can't after seeing what price has done. its amazing what he did in the ahl as a 19 year old. those kinds of performances simply don't happen.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

That's a load of BS if I've ever heard it. Hamilton has a younger team.

In the past year, the Marlies used 48 players, and these are their birth years:

1975 2 Players
1976 1 Players
1977 2 Players
1978 1 Players
1979 5 Players
1980 6 Players
1981 2 Players
1982 8 Players
1983 7 Players
1984 6 Players
1985 4 Players
1986 2 Players
1987 1 Players
1988 1 Players

Average 25.3

Here's Hamilton, who used 32 players:

1974 1 Players
1975 1 Players
1976 0 Players
1977 0 Players
1978 2 Players
1979 0 Players
1980 2 Players
1981 3 Players
1982 2 Players
1983 4 Players
1984 6 Players
1985 7 Players
1986 3 Players
1987 1 Players
1988 0 Players

Average 24.2

Last edited:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Definitely the first time in history of talking about hockey that fans changed their mind about a draft pick and player. Good find.

Oh please. If you can find me another example of so many fans spewing out so much vitriol about a draft pick, only to be completely hanging off his nuts two years later then I'd love to see it. This kind of swing in opinion is a lot more than just "changing your mind", which is exactly why it's so funny.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He's not talking about awhile back, he's talking about this year...the Bulldogs if anything had more rookies in their lineup than the Marlies.

Either way, we could go back 3 or 4 years, the Bulldogs (via the Habs) have always put an emphasis on player development as much as success, much moreso than the Marlies.

The Marlies stunk this year because their devoid of any prospect who can make an immediate impact + the veterans they used to use to stack their team are either too old (Brad Leeb, Marc Moro) or have moved on (David Ling, Harold Druken, Nathan Barrett) or just aren't good enough anymore ( Erik Westrum, Tyson Nash)
you're pretty much right on.

the two farm teams aren't treated any differently really. its just a nice-sounding excuse for us leafs fans to say that we don't try to win with our farm team.

i actually wish mooseoak's false statement.....the Leafs own their team and use it for development purposes primarily while the ownership of Hamilton wants to win a Calder Cup primarily.....was accurate.

if it were true, it would be great to see just which approach to the farm team would be better. both parent teams are pretty much equal right now (one point apart?). it would be fun to see where each team is in 2-3 years.

Last edited:

mooseOAK*

Hilarious...let's see.

Mikhail Grabovsky
Matt D'Agostini
Kyle Chipchura
Cory Urquhart
Danny Groulx
Ryan O'Byrne
Mathieu Aubin
John Gleed
Carey Price

Ian White, Brendan Bell, Kris Newbury, Andy Wozniewski, Alexei Ponikarovsky. Mikael Tellqvist...

When I wrote rookies, I of course meant first year pros. Eliminate the guys from your list who played pro either in Europe or in the ECHL or aren't on the roster any longer and it gets a lot shorter.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Oh please. If you can find me another example of so many fans spewing out so much vitriol about a draft pick, only to be completely hanging off his nuts two years later then I'd love to see it. This kind of swing in opinion is a lot more than just "changing your mind", which is exactly why it's so funny.

Agreed. Time for the Habs to cash in on the Price hype and deal his overrated self away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->