Post-Game Talk: Carey @ Dafoe -7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
didnt see the game. The bruins fans seemed to just want Wilson's and Orpik's blood. What did Wilson do this time?

Marchand crosschecked orlov in the back. Orlov and Marchand did the two each for roughing punches thing but Wilson didn't want Marchand attacking orlov so he pulled Marchand off orlov and Marchand fell into the boards

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The Jackets are making the playoffs, the Islanders might not, also the Caps will be better served finishing in whatever spot gets them the crossover to the Atlantic.
Completely disagree with that. The crossover team will likely get the Lightning in the first round and obviously the Lightning would have home ice advantage. Better off finishing at the top of your division and have home ice advantage. I don't understand your view here.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Completely disagree with that. The crossover team will likely get the Lightning in the first round and obviously the Lightning would have home ice advantage. Better off finishing at the top of your division and have home ice advantage. I don't understand your view here.

Don't want the Pens, don't want the Rangers, don't want the Jackets. Would rather lose in the first round to the President Trophy team than lose again to the Pens.

Doesn't matter though the Caps will finish 1st or 2nd more than likely, unless the Pens get their shit together.

p.s. The Caps match up well against the Bolts.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Are we seriously debating playoff pairings already? I get the desire to play in the Atlantic -- but other than that, let's all settle down.

Nice game. Another "2017 Caps" type win. Flawed but 2 points. You guys nitpick too much. This isn't the Prez Cup teams that just rolled people in the RS. They have a lot of unproven talent that *may* end up being BETTER than the proven talent they lost, but the growing pains will make games look like this (and the Isles and Avs games).

Beat a good team in their barn (even if we own them). I will take it be happy.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Don't want the Pens, don't want the Rangers, don't want the Jackets. Would rather lose in the first round to the President Trophy team than lose again to the Pens.

Doesn't matter though the Caps will finish 1st or 2nd more than likely, unless the Pens get their **** together.

p.s. The Caps match up well against the Bolts.
You always want home ice advantage. Why would you want to go on the road to play the lightning. Makes zero sense.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
. This isn't the Prez Cup teams that just rolled people in the RS.

No, but they are a good team. They are a good team that is used to winning their games. Yea, they have new pieces but the bulk of the team is still that team. Its easy for me to see that as opposed to playoffs, in the RS they expect to win. Sometimes that is a lot of the battle.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You always want home ice advantage. Why would you want to go on the road to play the lightning. Makes zero sense.

Home ice doesn't mean jack for the Capitals. Also on the off chance it goes seven games, which is the point of home ice, the Caps always lose.

The only one I even remember them winning was the Isles in 2015.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Home ice doesn't mean jack for the Capitals. Also on the off chance it goes seven games, which is the point of home ice, the Caps always lose.

If you were to dig up the stats, I'm sure the Caps win more series when they have home ice advantage than when they have to play on the road. We have won Game 7s before in DC.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If you were to dig up the stats, I'm sure the Caps win more series when they have home ice advantage than when they have to play on the road. We have won Game 7s before in DC.

Ovechkin/Backstrom era. Home game sevens: Flyers - Lost, Rangers - Won, Pens - Lost, Habs - Lost, Rangers - Lost, Isles - Won, Pens - Lost.

2-5, I'd take my chances on the road.

To compare, 1-1 on the road in game seven's in this era and both went to OT.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovechkin/Backstrom era. Home game sevens: Flyers - Lost, Rangers - Won, Pens - Lost, Habs - Lost, Rangers - Lost, Isles - Won, Pens - Lost.

2-5, I'd take my chances on the road.

What about the road game 7s? I'm gonna do that for you:

2012 Round 1 vs Bruins: Won
2015 Round 2 vs Rangers: Lost

Not enough data to draw any conclusion. I guess the conclusion is simply that we suck in Game 7s. Home ice advantage isn't just about Game 7s though. Take the 2016 Flyers series for example. We were able to get a 2-0 lead on home ice. With the death of Ed Snider, who knows if we would've won the first two games if they were in Philly?

Starting a playoff series on the road gives you 0 advantage, while you can argue that having home ice gives you an advantage at least for matchups.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
What about the road game 7s? I'm gonna do that for you:

2012 Round 1 vs Bruins: Won
2015 Round 2 vs Rangers: Lost

Not enough data to draw any conclusion.
I guess the conclusion is simply that we suck in Game 7s. Home ice advantage isn't just about Game 7s though. Take the 2016 Flyers series for example. We were able to get a 2-0 lead on home ice. With the death of Ed Snider, who knows if we would've won the first two games if they were in Philly?

Starting a playoff series on the road gives you 0 advantage, while you can argue that having home ice gives you an advantage at least for matchups.

2-5 isn't enough of a sample size?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yeah...who cares who they face. Their biggest adversary remains in the mirror.

Another quality win with key contributions from the youngsters. I'm guessing DSP sits when 77 returns.

That was actually my initial point. If they HAVE to make the playoffs, I want them to have zero pressure, home games are pressure, home game sevens are pressure times 1000.

With the Caps luck they finish second or third and get the Pens. :(

p.s. I understand they may not make the playoffs at all. The metro is insane.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA

The only one I even remember them winning was the Isles in 2015.
The other NY team, 2009 :D

I share your frustration. The Caps might not win the Metro, but look like they have a good shot at #2-3. Obviously would rather have #2 than 3.
Other than that, what should they do? The following assumes Atlantic champ has best Eastern record.
Have a mini tank to wc#2 and face the Bolts? wc#1 to face Metro champ?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The other NY team, 2009 :D

I share your frustration. The Caps might not win the Metro, but look like they have a good shot at #2-3. Obviously would rather have #2 than 3.
Other than that, what should they do? The following assumes Atlantic champ has best Eastern record.
Have a mini tank to wc#2 and face the Bolts? wc#1 to face Metro champ?

Sadly I am at the point in my Caps fandom where I just want a 50 goal season or a Rocket for Ovechkin. Anything else is gravy.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds sad when we’ve been reduced to rooting for alternative playoff matchups.

Face and conquer your demons. I’ll take home ice advantage 100/100.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sounds sad when we’ve been reduced to rooting for alternative playoff matchups.

Face and conquer your demons.
No, f*** that. I shared this view last season and that sure went well. Take any advantage they can get. The only outcome that I want is a Cup or a tank. Anything in between is the same old tired, sad movie.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’d prefer the road to the Cup go right through Shitsburgh. I’m not into this “woe is us, if only someone else could have beaten the Pens for us”.....

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad