Post-Game Talk: Carey @ Dafoe -7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Clearly the Orpik-Bowey pairing is dreadful (39% CF, 17% GF in slightly more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts) but I'm not convinced it's all on Orpik. Bowey has really struggled defensively this season IMO.
Bowey has struggled at times in his own end but I'm not sure Orpik is a good partner for Bowey.

Reactions: twabby

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
classy win. Stephenson definitely deserves more skilled linemates to play with. That Beagle's shot was awful, right into the gut of Khudobin. It's worth to try him on the 1st line a couple games.
I agree. Beagle shot that right at Kudobin when there was a lot of space to shoot. Maybe Connolly sits when Oshie returns and Stephenson plays on the 3rd line.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't think so either. IMO they make each other worse, esp. lately. Bowey's still fairly tentative and that's a tough spot to be in opposite a guy that's not really going to actively dictate the game. It would be one thing if Bowey were playing a more aggressive attacking type game up the ice but they just tend to end up defending a lot. Whereas Chorney's speed seemed to bring that pair more balance, even if it was a lesser role.

Agreed with this. Ultimately I think they’ll need to look to trade for a D at some point this season but I’m not really sure who. I mentioned Mark Barberio as a decent pickup but I’d hate to see him push Djoos out of the lineup since both are LHD.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nice win but Bowey had a dreadful game. On ice for 24 shots against and 0 shots for. He’s certainly going to have his growing pains and there’s no need to panic about him yet, but at this point I think the Capitals are going to need to think about adding a defenseman this year. It’s tough to imagine Bowey being playoff-ready this season.

Djoos, on the other hand, looks like he’s belonged from the start. His lack of size hurts him in certain areas (durability is what I’m most concerned about) but he thinks the game well and defends pretty well for a guy his size. I’d still like to see him get more minutes as the season progresses but I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world to ease him in.

Going to post some charts on the Roster thread.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bowey has struggled at times in his own end but I'm not sure Orpik is a good partner for Bowey.

Then prepare for a long season. Orpik isn't going out of the lineup. Bowey, unless they plan on benching him for the playoffs like Orlov or Schmidt and getting a replacement, well he has to find a way to make it work. Long season...let them play and monitor it.

I'd be curious to if there was some combo stat rankings the D corps by team and by pair. I'd wager MOST NHL teams have at least one pair that's under water on any given night, or just struggles more, but I'm totally speculating.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Nice win but Bowey had a dreadful game. On ice for 24 shots against and 0 shots for. He’s certainly going to have his growing pains and there’s no need to panic about him yet, but at this point I think the Capitals are going to need to think about adding a defenseman this year. It’s tough to imagine Bowey being playoff-ready this season.

Djoos, on the other hand, looks like he’s belonged from the start. His lack of size hurts him in certain areas (durability is what I’m most concerned about) but he thinks the game well and defends pretty well for a guy his size. I’d still like to see him get more minutes as the season progresses but I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world to ease him in.

yeah, Bowey was not good last night. His turnover/lost puck lead directly to their 2nd goal.

I'd play him with Orpik for a while. Even if they are struggling now. Let Djoos play with Carlson and try and spread the ES TOI evenly with all 3 pairs. I dont know that we want to force Carlson into having to cover for Bowey....Bowey has some good offensive instincts and can pass well...but he's looking a step behind at times and flustered at others. Plus they play opposite sides.

I've been asking for a Vet D to push Chorney down to 8th on the charts all season. I still want that. If it means Bowey needs to sit (or be 1D in Hershey), then so be it. I'd rather it sooner than later, to allow the new player time to mesh appropriately.

That said, if its in late Feb or March, then so be it. But I'd rather the earlier the better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad