Post-Game Talk: Carey @ Dafoe -7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Sadly I am at the point in my Caps fandom where I just want a 50 goal season or a Rocket for Ovechkin. Anything else is gravy.
Ha, yes. I'm sure many feel that way. I do to at times - which is why I try to and do enjoy the reg season.

At any rate, wherever they finish this season, as long as below EC #1, they'll have less pressure on them compared to being reg season champs.
They'll still be lots of pressure, just less. Let the Bolts or the haughty Leafs fans deal with great expectations !

Reactions: calicapsfan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ha, yes. I'm sure many feel that way. I do to at times - which is why I try to and do enjoy the reg season.

At any rate, wherever they finish this season, as long as below EC #1, they'll have less pressure on them compared to being reg season champs.
They'll still be lots of pressure, just less. Let the Bolts or the haughty Leafs fans deal with great expectations !

And I am completely the opposite. I love the regular season. If they Caps make the playoffs this season I doubt I will even watch. I'm serious.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No, **** that. I shared this view last season and that sure went well. Take any advantage they can get. The only outcome that I want is a Cup or a tank. Anything in between is the same old tired, sad movie.

Cup or tank? Maybe time to give up hockey if that’s all you’ve got left. ;)

The heavy expectations are off....I see no reason to be so extreme.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
You're crazy. If the Caps didn't have to face the Pens three seasons of this era (Crosby AND Malkin) I bet a cool $100 they have a Cup, especially 2009.
I know, that 2009 loss, after the Caps went up 2-0, bothers me to this day.

That was the year an upstart Canes made the ECF, and a still very good but declining DRW won the West.
If Caps could have gotten by Pitt the door was open for a SC :mad:

Reactions: Sam Spade

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Being the man in front of monitor (TV), watching hockey for entertainment, I can't be upset today over some loss happened in 2009. Seriously, I think it's unhealthy. Let it go ppl.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Also, Ovechkin scoring as usual?

Remember last year, he was there, on top of the sniper standings, along with Crosby. Until his hand got damaged around 25th or 26th goal IIRC. It's a simple theory which should be the true most probably.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
If we win the next game against Boston, it will be the 12th straight, so it means, a 4th season of sweep.

That Djoos move, it's becoming his signature move.:nod:
Happy for Chiasson, I like his defensive game, long reach, big body, making smart plays, good PKer and today his was rewarded with 2 goals.

Wondering who will be #13 F when Oshie returns. Think it's between Stephenson and Chiasson (+ DSP)

Goal by Ovi will be much welcomed

And it was a nice goal, calculated all angles in his head :sarcasm:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I know, that 2009 loss, after the Caps went up 2-0, bothers me to this day.

That was the year an upstart Canes made the ECF, and a still very good but declining DRW won the West.
If Caps could have gotten by Pitt the door was open for a SC :mad:
We have unfortunately not had great success against the Pens but we havent really had success against many teams in the playoffs. The Rangers have also owned us. The only team we have had a minimal amount of success against is the Islanders.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What about the road game 7s? I'm gonna do that for you:

2012 Round 1 vs Bruins: Won
2015 Round 2 vs Rangers: Lost

Not enough data to draw any conclusion. I guess the conclusion is simply that we suck in Game 7s. Home ice advantage isn't just about Game 7s though. Take the 2016 Flyers series for example. We were able to get a 2-0 lead on home ice. With the death of Ed Snider, who knows if we would've won the first two games if they were in Philly?

Starting a playoff series on the road gives you 0 advantage, while you can argue that having home ice gives you an advantage at least for matchups.
I agree. It is an advantage to be the home team

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That was actually my initial point. If they HAVE to make the playoffs, I want them to have zero pressure, home games are pressure, home game sevens are pressure times 1000.

With the Caps luck they finish second or third and get the Pens. :(

p.s. I understand they may not make the playoffs at all. The metro is insane.
Your theory is insane

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Nice win but Bowey had a dreadful game. On ice for 24 shots against and 0 shots for. He’s certainly going to have his growing pains and there’s no need to panic about him yet, but at this point I think the Capitals are going to need to think about adding a defenseman this year. It’s tough to imagine Bowey being playoff-ready this season.

Djoos, on the other hand, looks like he’s belonged from the start. His lack of size hurts him in certain areas (durability is what I’m most concerned about) but he thinks the game well and defends pretty well for a guy his size. I’d still like to see him get more minutes as the season progresses but I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world to ease him in.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Nice win but Bowey had a dreadful game. On ice for 24 shots against and 0 shots for. He’s certainly going to have his growing pains and there’s no need to panic about him yet, but at this point I think the Capitals are going to need to think about adding a defenseman this year. It’s tough to imagine Bowey being playoff-ready this season.

Djoos, on the other hand, looks like he’s belonged from the start. His lack of size hurts him in certain areas (durability is what I’m most concerned about) but he thinks the game well and defends pretty well for a guy his size. I’d still like to see him get more minutes as the season progresses but I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world to ease him in.
Bowey didn't have a good game last night. Djoos played well but did get out muscled for the puck in the defensive zone a couple times. Are you sure about Bowey being on the ice for 24 out of 37 shots last night. That's awfully high for a guy that doesn't get a lot of mins. If that stat is true then he was even worse than I thought. Where did you find that information. Is there a specific site that posts these stats and others like it?

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Bowey didn't have a good game last night. Djoos played well but did get out muscled for the puck in the defensive zone a couple times. Are you sure about Bowey being on the ice for 24 out of 37 shots last night. That's awfully high for a guy that doesn't get a lot of mins. If that stat is true then he was even worse than I thought.

All shot attempts, not just shots on goal.

He was on-ice for 0 shots on goal for, and 11 against.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

Djoos had a bad game against NYI

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
classy win. Stephenson definitely deserves more skilled linemates to play with. That Beagle's shot was awful, right into the gut of Khudobin. It's worth to try him on the 1st line a couple games.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
All shot attempts, not just shots on goal.

He was on-ice for 0 shots on goal for, and 11 against.
It seems like him bleeding opportunities against pretty well coincides with Orpik becoming his partner. So much for third pair Orpik reverting to last season's possession form minus Schmidt.

This season for me is mostly about the rookies, Wilson and Burakovsky developing. That last one seems like the biggest question mark. Hopefully they're able to net a couple of solid youngsters in the upcoming draft, even if it's only in the early 20s and then the relatively early 30s. Getting past the second round should earn Trotz an extension but we'll see about that. I still don't think they're quite savvy enough but it's at least good to see speed and youth adapting.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It seems like him bleeding opportunities against pretty well coincides with Orpik becoming his partner. So much for third pair Orpik reverting to last season's possession form minus Schmidt.

Clearly the Orpik-Bowey pairing is dreadful (39% CF, 17% GF in slightly more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts) but I'm not convinced it's all on Orpik. Bowey has really struggled defensively this season IMO.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

This could be a blessing in disguise. Djoos-Carlson has been a good pairing this season and they should see more time together now if Orpik misses time. Chorney's a weaker option than Orpik but I'd guess the downgrade would be more than offset by Djoos getting more TOI.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Clearly the Orpik-Bowey pairing is dreadful (39% CF, 17% GF in slightly more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts) but I'm not convinced it's all on Orpik. Bowey has really struggled defensively this season IMO.
I don't think so either. IMO they make each other worse, esp. lately. Bowey's still fairly tentative and that's a tough spot to be in opposite a guy that's not really going to actively dictate the game. It would be one thing if Bowey were playing a more aggressive attacking type game up the ice but they just tend to end up defending a lot. Whereas Chorney's speed seemed to bring that pair more balance, even if it was a lesser role.

Reactions: twabby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad