Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I look and see all these posts..

If you really want to break into the NHL, be related to someone who works for the team or be an attractive female. Seriously.

In my years working for an NHL franchise those are the biggest thing I've seen that will get you hired. I've seen someone whose work experience was stocking shelves at the local grocery store get hired over someone who had years working for another NHL franchise. You know why? He was marrying the sister of one of the guys who was making the hiring decision.

Also being a nice 20-something girl who looks good in a pants suit will get you hired. Executives who aren't in hockey ops are usually slimy old men who get their kicks by watching the Caitlyns, Kaitlyns, Kaitlins and Beccas of the world bounce around the office all morning and do the grunt running.

Do these people usually get promoted? Nah. Once they are tried of working for $27,000 a year to work 40 hours a week, plus all home games, plus all team events, plus the team maintained functions, plus the season ticket holder ass kissing function, they usually burn out and leave for regular jobs. Usually the VP's of the departments have serious experience in sports, not just hockey. I remember the one VP of ticketing had 10 years with an NFL team across the country, another 8 years with an NBA team, etc. People move around for these jobs and usually aren't local. I did see a lot of people jump around from the pro teams in town. People would come in from the NFL and MLB franchise and leave to go there. I never really saw a lot of people come from the AHL team to the NHL club unless it was hockey ops related. There is no loyalty to the team outside of the check that comes very two weeks. If the team wins, yay. If they lose it's just another day.

NHL organizations are slimy and toxic. All the glitz and proudness of being ''classy organizations'' is just a mask for a pile of crap behind the doors. I've seen some pretty crazy stuff that has happened being hid from the media and general public.

Want to be a scout, coach or work in hockey ops? I hope you played professionally. Or be related to a current hockey ops veteran. Everybodyknows everybody in hockey. So and so played jr. with this guy who's a scout for this team. So and so played 4 years in the ECHL with this guy who works for this club in hockey ops. One example I remember is the star player on the team I worked for played in the Q with a guy worked in the youth hockey department.

Being an advanced stats expert was a good route about 5 years ago. That ship has sailed. All those jobs are filled. The advanced stats guy at my club was a guy who had several advanced degrees and was Ph.D'd in stats. I bet he took a healthy paycut to join the team.

Getting into being a media/writer/blogger/radio personality is downright hopeless anymore. Everyones got a blog, everyones got a podcast, everyones got a twitter feed. These people live and die for the team for FREE. Hell, you are doing the dirty work for your club.

I'm glad everyone is so positive and helpful around here, but I just wanted to give everyone the things I've seen after getting inside the arena walls.

A lot of what is said here is true, but the bolded is not. There are numerous people working as scouts, namely on the amateur scouting side, who never played pro hockey and are not related to anybody within the organization they work for. Same goes for coaching, though that's a tougher hill to climb but many do it, nonetheless.

Many scouts at the NHL level started out at the junior levels and worked their way up.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blue-jackets-game-day-posters-are-hockeys-best-new-thing/

Feature on the graphic artist who's creating a series of posters for each Columbus home game. Been quite popular.

And he's been doing more art around the arena too.

“It’s fun to work with a team, it’s fast-paced and exciting,” said Zych. “My big passion within design and sports is branding. Actually helping a team come up with a voice for themselves. It’s about helping other people discover their true voice. I love what it means to fans to put on a jersey. That involves a lot of branding: what’s on the jersey and how does it make the person feel?”

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A lot of what is said here is true, but the bolded is not. There are numerous people working as scouts, namely on the amateur scouting side, who never played pro hockey and are not related to anybody within the organization they work for. Same goes for coaching, though that's a tougher hill to climb but many do it, nonetheless.

Many scouts at the NHL level started out at the junior levels and worked their way up.

EvEry scout I have EVER met and we are in triple digits has played at an upper level hockey. None were rink rats that got hired as scout because they knew someone who got lucky. Any scout who has not played hockey at a high level more then likely played some sport at a high level

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Do they hire students that have not completed their degree to intern? I only ask because the team I work for will only hire interns that have completed their university studies. I do not work for the NHL/NHL team so perhaps other organizations do things differently.

Get involved with your university's athletic department/teams... even if it is just on a volunteer basis. Look around your community for places to volunteer/work... ice rink, community centres, minor league teams... TEAMWORKONLINE is a great place to look for jobs in the sports industry. There you will find jobs from entry level all the way up to the highest levels of management. You might also want to read the job descriptions/qualifications of posted positions that you think you might like to pursue in the future... even though you wouldn't have the education/training to apply for the job today, it will give you an idea of what an organizations criteria is for an acceptable candidate. If you see a position/career you would really like, print out the job description and take it to one of your professors and ask them their advice as to how you go from where you are now... to where you want to be. Also... start networking now!

TEAMUSOC.ORG
NCAA
RIO2016VOLUNTEERS - Entries are closed but there is a waiting list.

Good luck!

~A~

Good ideas, thanks for the help. Applied like mad to any thing that came up on teamworkonline, as well as my schools career site, but to no avail. The volunteering idea is a good one that I should've been more proactive in. Definitely intend on applying for the USOC internship based out of Lake Placid. Seems like an amazing way to spend the summer.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
EvEry scout I have EVER met and we are in triple digits has played at an upper level hockey. None were rink rats that got hired as scout because they knew someone who got lucky. Any scout who has not played hockey at a high level more then likely played some sport at a high level

I didn't say upper level, I said pro. Guess it depends on one's definition of "upper level". There are many NHL scouts who never played a single game of professional hockey. Hell, you've got people working their way into upper management positions now who never played pro.

There are many who played junior and college, which by definition would be upper level. But there are a ton who aren't ex-pros. That was my only point.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I didn't say upper level, I said pro. Guess it depends on one's definition of "upper level". There are many NHL scouts who never played a single game of professional hockey. Hell, you've got people working their way into upper management positions now who never played pro.

There are many who played junior and college, which by definition would be upper level. But there are a ton who aren't ex-pros. That was my only point.

Yes, but often times its thru family connections (Brad Treliving, Stan Bowman, Shero, Fletcher, T Murray), from being an agent (Chiarelli) or they played in college/minors (Lou Lams, Cheveldayoff)

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yes, but often times its thru family connections (Brad Treliving, Stan Bowman, Shero, Fletcher, T Murray), from being an agent (Chiarelli) or they played in college/minors (Lou Lams, Cheveldayoff)

Of course. Never denied any of that.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
So you want to break into the NHL/Sports media biz? Read this first.

Greg (whom I've known before his role with the Phoenix Suns) nails this on the head as the following was my schedule covering the Coyotes as a beat reporter (my own startup) where I was doing everything (Server admin, writer, video cameraman, social media, interviews, photographer, radio appearances, practices, attending games, conference calls with teams/players, flying off to events, podcasts, advertizing, marketing, etc). I got burnt out working practically 24/7 for months on end. I loved it but it hurt me financially (long term) following this dream (which I kicked ass at. Built my site from nothing to around 500k individual users per month).

"Days will start at 9 AM, and you’ll do your normal office work until 5 PM, when your second job begins, game night. You’ll work doing the various tasks your department requires during a game and wrap up sometimes hours after the final buzzer. (Especially if you’re on the digital or media relations side where your third job starts when the game ends.) Oh, and the next day, it’ll start bright and early as well so double check those alarms.

It can be a truly trying process if your heart isn’t 100 percent into it."

Greg is the former Digital Media Manager for the Phoenix Suns.

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/03/23/so-you-want-to-work-in-the-nba/

You really have to love what you're doing to be successful in this business because it's a meat grinder at times.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Breaking into the league (non-player)

My intent here is to get a few contacts from around the league (NHL preferably) to gain experience in any manner from ticket sales to a goal judge. I want to gain experience at any level of hockey prior to studying an MBA at the business of hockey institute. The overall cost is 80K for the program and graduating without work experience seems like a giant investment with high risk of not being employable by the NHL.

I am highly educated already, have great people/management skills, and wouldn't even view my time at an arena as work! I've made a career in science and I am a highly analytical person. I am hoping to be involved in player personnel decisions eventually but I would work my way up the ladder, just as I have in my current career. A good starting position could be in the growing area of analytics due to my experience with data analysis.

Please if anyone can send me in the right direction I would really appreciate a PM from you :)

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
Well, after what seems like a million years and the fact that I had pretty much quit on sports, I did get in with a team. I got a seasonal customer service position with a local minor league baseball team, so I only work when the team has home games. But hey, I've already learned some stuff and I've met--or at least seen--a decent amount of the front office staff.

Of course, the hours/commute suck and I support myself on top of a non-sports job (gotta earn money when the team is on the road), but hey it's experience. I'm 30, though, so I have to hustle and try to make this summer work for me if I want to make it in this business. I think now I'll learn once and for all if this is where I belong or if I need to pursue my backup career choice.

I don't have any special secrets, though. I just went to a job fair the team holds for its seasonal positions, interviewed for a couple roles and got this particular one. I did get lucky in that my now boss knew the person from my primary job who handles the company season tickets, but I didn't know the two were connected before I went to the job fair. So I can't say I had an in from that.

Anyway my team has a long homestand coming up so this next week ought to be great. Need to get hyped up on caffeine!

Group Chat Legend*

Working in an Analytics Dept. for an NHL Team

Thought this might be the best place to post this, if it isnt please redirect to where it should be.

How would one go about working towards an analytics job with the NHL or an NHL team? are these positions given to known names (like an old boys club type thing).

for example Arizona's GM began the website for advanced analytics and was hired based off that. obviously aspiring for GM is a later in life feat.

but is it even semi-realistic to work towards a job with an analytics team in the NHL? or is that far more popular for baseball.

thanks!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thought this might be the best place to post this, if it isnt please redirect to where it should be.

How would one go about working towards an analytics job with the NHL or an NHL team? are these positions given to known names (like an old boys club type thing).

for example Arizona's GM began the website for advanced analytics and was hired based off that. obviously aspiring for GM is a later in life feat.

but is it even semi-realistic to work towards a job with an analytics team in the NHL? or is that far more popular for baseball.

thanks!

More popular (and useful IMHO) in baseball, but it's been around for decades and lots of kids with some spreadsheet knowledge are collecting analytics data instead of baseball cards.

I'd say there's a lot more opportunity to "break in" to hockey via analytics since it's a smaller group of people that are interested in hockey analytics. However, baseball really lends itself to analysis of that sort in all facets whereas it's kind of a "niche" thing in hockey prospecting and evaluation.

I'd follow your passion, make yourself known, make your analysis known (ie: start a site or twitter account) and go from there.

Eventually every team is going to have at least a few analytics people, there will be spots open in the future.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

thanks!

Its hard because analytics aren't a major part of the sport and to be honest will never be (or at least as big as they are in baseball). Majority of hires, actually nearly all of them had some sort of website dedicated to hockey analytics. They either founded the site, or were huge contributors to the discussion. some even made their own stats. Which is the main reason they were hired, as soon as they got the job the teams made them shutdown their sites and all that data now became the sole property of said team.

Chayka for example spent like 80% of his day watching every game that was broadcasted and tracking every pass, hit, shot etc. He had to pay a staff to help him but his work became known within a few shorts years and voila.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
How do you break into the industry?

I am heavily involved in analytics , and am seeking to apply my knowledge to Hockey. I am also a recent graduate with no ties so relocating would be a breeze. Unfortunately, every league and organization uses some crappy third party website to post job openings and accept resumes. I can only imagine that these applications get sent straight to a spam folder. Anyone in the industry have any tips or suggestions on getting a foot in the door?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
From what I've seen, writing a blog and interacting with other analytics types is the easiest way to get noticed.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I'm currently interning with an NHL organization. I'm realistic and realize it's a long shot, but would be remiss if I didn't attempt finding some sort of work in the hockey ops department (currently working with sponsorships). Any ideas on the best way to go about this? From talking to people in the org, hockey ops is quite a secluded department. They stick to themselves. I have emails of everyone in the department, would it be kosher to contact them that way? I have access to their offices but not sure if that's the best way for me to make first contact with someone in the department.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Hey everyone.

So I figured I'd use all resources (heh.. the title) available that I know and figured why not give this a shot.

Long shot because this thread has been inactive for a weeks in already not so "hot" section of HF but, regardless...

Does anyone here work or know anyone working within the LA Kings?
I'm trying to take a shot and relocate to the LA Area + trying to network that could help facilitate that for me + find work.. Or at the very least get a crack at it.

Why not take a shot in the dark right?
In terms of the "field".. It is not Hockey operations related nor ales either.
If anyone can shoot me a DM or point me in a direction where I can at least introduce myself + possibly have something come to fruition, that'd be great.

bruins4ever19

Jul 28, 2011
California
I'm currently interning with an NHL organization. I'm realistic and realize it's a long shot, but would be remiss if I didn't attempt finding some sort of work in the hockey ops department (currently working with sponsorships). Any ideas on the best way to go about this? From talking to people in the org, hockey ops is quite a secluded department. They stick to themselves. I have emails of everyone in the department, would it be kosher to contact them that way? I have access to their offices but not sure if that's the best way for me to make first contact with someone in the department.

Hey man I can't answer your question but I am very interested in interning with a hockey team... I am currently a college student studying business sports management any recommendations on how you got to be an intern what it takes,how to apply etc. thank you so much.

sjosty26

May 8, 2013
Well here's a look at the path I've been on:

I'm an accounting major at a pretty acclaimed public research university. While accounting is a great job with a lot of financial security, I've always loved sports, specifically hockey. I also love writing. I remember being 12 years old, playing a game in season mode on NHL 08 and then writing a recap of the game as if I was covering it. Anyway, I've got my foot in the door in sports and now I can kind of look to see if I want to keep it there or follow my degree.

My junior year I joined the student newspaper and was assigned the beat on the women's soccer team. Through previews, game recaps, and interviews, you get to know a good share of the players, coaches, and personnel that works for the team. Being a writer, i got to know the media relations director for women's soccer. In collegiate athletics they usually are media relations directors for 2 or 3 sports, unless you have football or men's basketball, then you are just primarily that one sport.

Anyway, after the season (one semester) I expressed interest in joining the athletics department as it is a bit more prestigious than the student newspaper and you get the feeling of being part of the team rather than just covering it. The MR Director for Women's Soccer put in a good word, we set up an interview and I got a media relations intern position. Now, the specifics of this job are generally 15 hours a week, unpaid, and you work events. But you have to understand you're on the ground floor of your career and make the most of it. You'll get to work football, men's basketball games, being fed in the process to do a little work but you still get to watch sports as a job and what's better than that.

I've been in the athletic department for 15 months and have been able to write features as well as travel with different teams to events. I traveled with our gymnastics team to NCAA Regionals, acting as a sports information director. It was just the gymnasts, coaches, trainer and myself, doing full time job duties as a 20 year old college student for a weekend. If you show initiative, people will notice, you'll be rewarded with more responsibility, you take it on and it'll eventually pay off. Working games, I would always offer to write the game recap, which helps take a load off of post game responsibilities the person in charge of that sport who has been in the office since 9am on a game day.

Through this initiate and hard work, when I tossed the idea of moving on just because I was tired of being an unpaid intern, I looked into interning with the NHL team or MLB team in my city. The NHL media relations internship is similar 15 hours week, unpaid. But hockey! And the MLB internship is just game nights, you come in 4 hours before game time or one hour before depending on which role you have for that night. It's also a paid internship, but minimum wage. A co worker from my schools athletic department put in a word to the supervisor and I essentially had the job as soon as I submitted my application pending an interview.

It's about building relationships and it helps make your dream a lot more realizable.

So I'm going to be interning with an MLB team in 2017, and hopefully parlay that to an internship in the fall with the NHL club in our city, who directly told me through someone I know to make sure to apply again next season when a position opens up. Applying in the fall after having experience with another major league sports team should help me get it. You don't think about it at the time but I've met a whole lot of people so far just through the university in an medium sized national market, and I only expect that to grow over this upcoming 2017 MLB season and hopefully I can translate this into working in hockey full time for a career.

I graduate in December of 2017 so I hope that my experience working with two major league sports teams will really help in nailing a job in the sports industry, specifically hockey after my graduation

To recap, it's not so much who you know, albeit important, but what kind of impression you leave on them. Be proactive and get involved, be it with your school or a minor league team in the area. You need to gain experience, without it you won't be getting a call back from a big time organization any time soon. And lastly, make sure to take initiative and try to make an impact in whatever you do because people are sure to notice, which will help you in climbing the later.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad