Career: Luongo vs Lundqvist

career

• Luongo

• Lundqvist

Results are only viewable after voting.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I'll take Luongo. He was one win away from winning the cup, but the team couldn't score worth ****. Should've won the Vezina over Brodeur too.

He lost the goaltending battle. He absolutely sucked in Boston and gave his team zero chance to win three of the games.
But I guess if they put up six or nine goals for him he had it in the bag. So close

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
He lost the goaltending battle. He absolutely sucked in Boston and gave his team zero chance to win three of the games.
But I guess if they put up six or nine goals for him he had it in the bag. So close

They didn't muster a single goal in the last game of the finals, when he needed support. Had they pot one in to tie the game, the result could've been different.

Yes he wasn't good in Boston, but he was able to give the team 2 shutouts, and was playing behind a broken down defense decimated with injuries. Even more crucial when there was no number 1 D on the team. The fact is Luongo reached way farther in the playoffs than Lundqvist has.

Like others said, Luongo wasn't the same after the groin injury suffered against the Pens.

2007 peak Luongo would've have won the cup by himself had that version of himself played in 2011.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Give me Henrik, Luongo had serious stage fright or just wasn't a big-game player. Even in the Olympics, I was nervous with him in net. Thought the 2010 final should have been a clean victory for Canada, instead it ended up being a nail-biter.

I think Luongo is superior than Henrik right now though. Just think Henrik at his best when it mattered, was better than Luongo at his best.

I would certainly say peak 2006-07 Luongo before groin injury is better than Lundqvist at his best.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hank is clear winner.

I dont really see an argument for Luongo
The only stat I know of that Luongo has over Hank is number of Twitter followers. Edit: nvm, Luongo has more wins, if that's important, albeit at a low win% than Lundqvist.

DXsd8XIX0AAOAtf.jpg:large

ECZiz5p.png

7LJacAi.png

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Lundqvist. Honestly, on a competent team or any routine contender, Lundqvist would have 3+ Vezinas, set additional records and have a Cup. He had the talent to be a top-5 goaltender in history.

Being on the Rangers held him back.

Same can be said for Luongo though. I do believe Luongo has had better teams with the peak Sedins, that said, Luongo wasted most of his career on the Panthers and lower level Canuck teams.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They didn't muster a single goal in the last game of the finals, when he needed support. Had they pot one in to tie the game, the result could've been different.

Yes he wasn't good in Boston, but he was able to give the team 2 shutouts, and was playing behind a broken down defense decimated with injuries. Even more crucial when there was no number 1 D on the team. The fact is Luongo reached way farther in the playoffs than Lundqvist has.

Like others said, Luongo wasn't the same after the groin injury suffered against the Pens.

2007 peak Luongo would've have won the cup by himself had that version of himself played in 2011.

Ehh, I wouldn't call 2 more games much further

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
seriously???

1-0 VAN
3-2 VAN
8-1 BOS
4-0 BOS
1-0 VAN
5-2 BOS
4-0 BOS

analyze that just for a second, and tell me where Lou was the REASON they lost one of these games, and NOT their offense? he only blew the 8-1 game, and VAN scored 1 goal.

Hell if it wasnt for Lou they wouldve lost in 5!

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
seriously???

1-0 VAN
3-2 VAN
8-1 BOS
4-0 BOS
1-0 VAN
5-2 BOS
4-0 BOS

analyze that just for a second, and tell me where Lou was the REASON they lost one of these games, and NOT their offense? he only blew the 8-1 game, and VAN scored 1 goal.

This analysis has always ignored score effects. Boston sat back, clogged the crease and counter attacked whenever they had the lead, which completely destroyed the cycle game of the Sedins. The games were pretty even with the Canucks generating enough scoring chances when the score was tied and Boston had to open things up. Luongo also gave away game 6 in the first 10 minutes with bad goals. There were a lot if factors that went into that series loss, and Luongo was definitely one of them.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Lundqvist. Honestly, on a competent team or any routine contender, Lundqvist would have 3+ Vezinas, set additional records and have a Cup. He had the talent to be a top-5 goaltender in history.

Being on the Rangers held him back.

Same can be said for Luongo though. I do believe Luongo has had better teams with the peak Sedins, that said, Luongo wasted most of his career on the Panthers and lower level Canuck teams.

Woah take it back a second there. It’s not like he spent his career playing for bottom feeders

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
seriously???

1-0 VAN
3-2 VAN
8-1 BOS
4-0 BOS
1-0 VAN
5-2 BOS
4-0 BOS

It’s the playoffs against Boston. You have to win. 1 nothing or two one you might might get away with a 3-2 but if you let in four or five or 8 in the finals against that team you don’t win. He did not keep it close and he was giving up too many goals for them to have a chance

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
You mean the goalie that nearly choked away a 2-0 lead? The goalie who was pulled three times in the Finals? The goalie who got lit up by Chicago in back to back years? The goalie who nearly choked away a 3-0 series lead to Chicago? The guy who kept letting the Czech's tie the game, after his team gave him so many leads, in the 04 world cup?
What do you call this performance?
http://stats.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400304_74_3_0.pdf

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Canucks fan here

I would go with Lundqvist

He's the most consistent goaltender of this era

Luo is having the better season though

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only stat I know of that Luongo has over Hank is number of Twitter followers. Edit: nvm, Luongo has more wins, if that's important, albeit at a low win% than Lundqvist.

ECZiz5p.png

This chart says Weber is good and is therefore invalid.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
It’s the playoffs against Boston. You have to win. 1 nothing or two one you might might get away with a 3-2 but if you let in four or five or 8 in the finals against that team you don’t win. He did not keep it close and he was giving up too many goals for them to have a chance

VAN win 2 games 1-0 and lose 2 games 4-0

and somehow offense wasnt the problem but Lou was? right.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He was the best goalie in the world right up until the second they needed him to be. Where were the saves in game 6 and seven when it was time to step up and finish of the bruins?
Tim T rolled into van and stopped everything they threw at him and left with a cup. It’s great Lou had a couple good games but games 3 and four were pathetic. The team basically started that series down two games to none.
If you think any goalie gets a shutout without some serious help you are mistaken.
Funny the wins are only because of him but the loses are on everyone but

Game 6 the bruins scored at the 5 min 6 min 8 min 9 min all in the first period. Pfff. Great goaltending. This after pooping the bed in two of the last three.
You think if they threw in a couple goals the night he let in 8 it woulda helped? Nope
But ya blame that one on the team not helping. Too funny
He broke his team took away any chance they had to win.
They almost doubled bruins in shots in game 7. But in a battle of the best goalies in the world he faced a whole what 21 shots and choked again

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
2007 Luongo had to be one of the best goalie seasons ever, that team had absolutely no business making the playoffs let alone winning its division and making it to the second round. He won 47 games that year which is the second most ever in a single season.

But yeah Regal is right after Luongo tore his groin in that game against the Penguins he wasn’t the same, the Canucks had an absolutely insane offense in 2009/2010 and Luongo was below average throughout the year. If 2007 Luongo was in goal for the Canucks from 2010/2012 they could have potentially won 2 cups.
The first round against Dallas in 2007 was the greatest goaltender battle I have ever seen.

But in the following years he did seem to struggle at times in big games. I remember a couple times after losing to the Hawks screaming at Luongo and my TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad