OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
All of you youngins (people my age, lol) need to take note. It's so luck based. Getting that 1st job is so damn hard because so little separates us from each other. Really, none of the advice I could give you differs from most of the excellent advice some quality posters here have given. But as a generation, we're really fighting an uphill battle, and it's hard man. I'm blessed, every day I recognize this. But you will be too. I promise.

Know your worth, try new things, grind away those internships you hate, get people on your side. The keys to success.

It's hard guys, but I have faith in all of you. And I'd be delighted to help any of you with networking or anything you might want to know. We're a great group here, hit us up.

Godspeed friends.

There exists a saying... its not what you know, its who you know. There should be another saying though. Its not what you know, or who you know, its dumb luck.

Your post hits on so many good points as why it is so important to network as much as possible. Some people get lucky. Some people have to make their own luck and getting the first job does have some sort of luck element to it.

You also highlight another really, really, really important point. I can't stress enough how important it is (REGARDLESS of where you are in your career) to not get upset when you apply to 50 jobs and maybe hear back from 1-2 of them (if that). It is a numbers game. Take it from someone who has tons of experience in staffing and talent acquisition. Continue to apply. Apply to as many jobs as are out there. If you get an interview for something you don't want, still go. It is always good to get interview practice.

Congrats on the success bilbo!

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Just wondering if anyone has experience in Private Wealth Management? i have an interview in a couple weeks for a associate client advisor position at a PWM firm

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Just wondering if anyone has experience in Private Wealth Management? i have an interview in a couple weeks for a associate client advisor position at a PWM firm

Actually just started working in PWM, but from the technology side. Really interesting space but that's probably all the relevant info I can offer you unfortunately.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
What's with this new wave of 20 somethings who've never worked full time in their lives giving garbage career advice?

Reading things that boil down to

>lie to the recruiter that you'd interview them
>ANY form of lying on your resume
>Everything you need to know is on the job
>Use false references

Like why? Do these idiots not understand how small the recruiting world is????

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
What's with this new wave of 20 somethings who've never worked full time in their lives giving garbage career advice?

Reading things that boil down to

>lie to the recruiter that you'd interview them
>ANY form of lying on your resume
>Everything you need to know is on the job
>Use false references

Like why? Do these idiots not understand how small the recruiting world is????

I'd think common sense would get rid of most of these things. For me, I'd rather just be honest than have to lie my way into a job.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hi all

I'm not in any rush to do this right now, but can anyone recommend some good opportunities to grow my experience while I'm working full time? I currently work as a global student coach for an international business education program, and I am a member of my school's alumni relations association. What other opportunities can you recommend, if any?

Thanks in advance!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hi all

I'm not in any rush to do this right now, but can anyone recommend some good opportunities to grow my experience while I'm working full time? I currently work as a global student coach for an international business education program, and I am a member of my school's alumni relations association. What other opportunities can you recommend, if any?

Thanks in advance!

Are there any particular certifications you can get in your field?

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
What's up guys, haven't posted as much on the site as I used to but I still read time to time. Just graduated in May with my finance degree and working at wealth management firm (RIA) in Purchase right now. Really want to find a similar job in the city but it's so difficult to find a job there I feel. Not really sure how long I should stay where I am at now before looking elsewhere because all they offered me was a 6 month contract after interning there for 2 months

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Hello gents,

I just wanted to give you guys a final update. I just accepted a job at a local asset management firm! It took me about 7 months after graduation. I really want to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart. The countless advice and incite was amazing. I got into multiple interviews because you guys encouraged me to grow my technical skills. Once you get in a room you can make yourself known. For anyone in the jobsearch or college looking at this, START NOW. Start learning something, doing something, make an impact. The biggest thing I noticed is that your degree only gets you past 1 check. You need extracurricular and practical experience. But more than that, do something. Join clubs and take any position you can in there. Establish that people give you responsibility.

If you are looking now and aren't finding any luck, keep going. Just keep going, do not get down. Find companies. I had multiple interviews with the BB places, top 4 places. But the competition there is ridiculous. You can blink wrong and be out so don't limit your search. Also take every interview you can for free. Don't fly somewhere for a job you don't want but practice with random places with phone and skype interviews. Practice makes perfect.

The separation is in the preparation. Show up ready knowing every detail about the company and the person interviewing you.

Ok I'm done rambling. Thanks again friends!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
My supervisor just lectured me for using paragraphs in an internal e-mail instead of bullets. The bulk of the e-mail was two paragraphs that was 183 words long. Included in the e-mail was an attachment that had clean bullets describing everything in the e-mail. Also included in the e-mail was a link to a report that would visualize what the e-mail was about.

How do I tell my supervisor that she's awful?

Can't wait 'til I actually figure out what I want to do with my life so I can quit this miserable place.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

I absolutely love my job. The pay per hour is great and honestly, it's not work to me. I legitimately enjoy doing it. To me, getting paid a living to enjoy yourself is the true American Dream. Only downside is it's currently part time - very part time. I'm the rookie in the department. Supplementing it with a second job isn't really an option because I also have to go back to school full-time. Technically, professors are supposed to be doctors. I only have a BA. It won't be a real career until I complete school. School is the thing I'm not sure about.

I have an English degree but I teach Sociology. Essentially, I do writing within the department. Sociologists have to write shit, and they don't know how to write because they're not English people. And unless you're an English person, grammar, style, and structure are pretty much dead in our education system.

So do I get a PhD in English or Sociology?

My first instinct is English. It's my area of expertise. Also, writing within the department is a growing field in academia. All departments are running into the same problem - our kids still have to write and they can't. An English doctorate leaves me open to do in multiple departments what I'm doing now. Plus, the school I work at offers an English PhD Program. It does not offer a Sociology PhD program. That means I'm doing it somewhere else, which greatly adds to my commute, stress, and cost of working.

All that said, I am hired by the Sociology Department and that's the only place I'm currently hired. I feel behooved to follow where my bread is coming from, you know?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I absolutely love my job. The pay per hour is great and honestly, it's not work to me. I legitimately enjoy doing it. To me, getting paid a living to enjoy yourself is the true American Dream. Only downside is it's currently part time - very part time. I'm the rookie in the department. Supplementing it with a second job isn't really an option because I also have to go back to school full-time. Technically, professors are supposed to be doctors. I only have a BA. It won't be a real career until I complete school. School is the thing I'm not sure about.

I have an English degree but I teach Sociology. Essentially, I do writing within the department. Sociologists have to write ****, and they don't know how to write because they're not English people. And unless you're an English person, grammar, style, and structure are pretty much dead in our education system.

My first instinct is English. It's my area of expertise. Also, writing within the department is a growing field in academia. All departments are running into the same problem - our kids still have to write and they can't. An English doctorate leaves me open to do in multiple departments what I'm doing now. Plus, the school I work at offers an English PhD Program. It does not offer a Sociology PhD program. That means I'm doing it somewhere else, which greatly adds to my commute, stress, and cost of working.

All that said, I am hired by the Sociology Department and that's the only place I'm currently hired. I feel behooved to follow where my bread is coming from, you know?

I would have to say Sociology. It is rare that people get a Masters or PhD the same area as their BA. It won't take away from the legitimacy of your English degree. At the same time it widens your field of study.

Reactions: Machinehead

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I have an English degree but I teach Sociology. Essentially, I do writing within the department. Sociologists have to write ****, and they don't know how to write because they're not English people. And unless you're an English person, grammar, style, and structure are pretty much dead in our education system.

Just wait for @Mac n Gs to get hired by an NHL team and hook us all up.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just wait for @Mac n Gs to get hired by an NHL team and hook us all up.
Not saying that being the Rangers team physician is still my dream job, but yeah

Or I’d just hire a smarter person and then tell them to fire me. Have you ever read stuff about the company Iceberg that does hockey analytics? That shit is cool.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

I'd go for English. I think you'll have more opportunities in the industry than via Sociology. In particular, there's lots of places that need product content folks. We have several at my company (a tech company) and most have PhDs in English. It's interesting 'cause in that field, you can really explore various "fields". It's what I like about being a software engineer. Your work is similar, but you're in many fields throughout your career. You can do english/writing in Sociology, sure. but you can also do it in finance, or tech or healthcare or whatever. You'll get to experience more in your career imo.

Reactions: Machinehead

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Not saying that being the Rangers team physician is still my dream job, but yeah

Or I’d just hire a smarter person and then tell them to fire me. Have you ever read stuff about the company Iceberg that does hockey analytics? That **** is cool.
Do they also define SOG however the f*** they want? ;)

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd go for English. I think you'll have more opportunities in the industry than via Sociology. In particular, there's lots of places that need product content folks. We have several at my company (a tech company) and most have PhDs in English. It's interesting 'cause in that field, you can really explore various "fields". It's what I like about being a software engineer. Your work is similar, but you're in many fields throughout your career. You can do english/writing in Sociology, sure. but you can also do it in finance, or tech or healthcare or whatever. You'll get to experience more in your career imo.
I was thinking along these lines but @Gardner McKay brings up a good point that I have an opportunity at diversified degrees. I definitely have some stuff to think about.

But in the meantime it's nice having a big boy job. I'm still staying with my dad, because honestly, he's cool and who needs roommate problems? But I'm paying him full rent even without full time hours :D

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My supervisor just lectured me for using paragraphs in an internal e-mail instead of bullets. The bulk of the e-mail was two paragraphs that was 183 words long. Included in the e-mail was an attachment that had clean bullets describing everything in the e-mail. Also included in the e-mail was a link to a report that would visualize what the e-mail was about.

How do I tell my supervisor that she's awful?

Can't wait 'til I actually figure out what I want to do with my life so I can quit this miserable place.

I remember when I got my first job, my best friend — who is a super careerist, could literary become prime minister for Sweden — seemed mental every time I talked to him.

But I think I learned a lot of things. One was to pick my battles. There are so many pity and insecure people out there. Just ignore them, yes sir thanks for the tip I will use bullets next time. Spend as little energy as possible on them.

Also, try not to note flaws on your co-workers. I remember my friend jumping on me if is told any less flattering things about my co-workers to him. He said, it will show in how you act towards them and also become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad