OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Interview Advice - If you are doing a phone screen, do not make it obvious that you are reading from notes.

There is an opening on my team. The manager, developer lead, and me (systems analyst lead) conducted a phone screen for a guy with a very impressive resume.

The guy spends 5 minutes going over what he does in his current role, 3 minutes in, it was obvious that he was reading it directly. I asked him to explain in detail what he was actually doing. He couldn't, but he kept reading away.

Manager asked him about some design details and strategies - couldn't answer, even though he had just talked about documentation.

I asked him about resolving conflicts (Time, Steps, and Results) - Didn't understand what I asked him.

All during this time, you could hear papers rustling.

Just please don't do this if you are ever interviewed.

Hopefully this doesn't come off the wrong way but was he international? Maybe it's a cultural thing. Anyway, that's crazy. I can't believe anyone would do that.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Funny to see this thread pop up.

Got laid off from my job at end of sept, full severance and unemployment, currently unemployed and looking. Its been a rocky road for me, got a job at amtrak when i was 19 (knew someone) and was set for life, worked 70-80hrs in summer banked insane ot, started saving money and got into stocks and it was all downhill from there. I decided to go back to school for finance and went to a state school bc i was cheap and didn't want loans (bad decision). I worked overnights 11pm-7am then went to class straight from work and home by noon to sleep, that lasted for all of 3 months as i was burning out fast. Quit my job at 21 and focused on school, got accepted into the schools investment fund (investing real money) and graduated with a 3.6 (not great in finance field especially at a state school), finished school at 24 and applied to jobs like crazy, never landed what i wanted, had numerous interviews, made it to the 3rd round of interviews at a trading firm, didn't make the cut. This was 2011 when things were crappy thats not to say its any better today.

Finally decided to just settle for a temp position which turned into a full time job as a financial analyst at a healthcare facility. Pay was garbage bc they were nonprofit and relied on government funding but it was a relaxed work environment and i was lucky if i saw my boss twice a day so i couldn't complain. Very small company. I would apply to jobs all the time in the morning, landed interviews but bc i had a job i was being extremely picky which probably lead to me not getting an offer. Every year the company was losing money and at the end of fiscal year 2016 they lost 10 million (most ever), company wide lay offs ensued (sept 2016), at 29 years old.

Still laid off to date and looking. I had a phone interview at the NYSE last month but never heard anything after that and also 2 interviews at sikorksy, nothing there either. I check everyday for jobs and apply to best ones that match. I should use linkedin more (dont much right now, probably stupid of me)

Aside from my ranting, theres a few lessons for you younger guys to take away from this

1. Don't think the grass is always greener elsewhere and do proper research ahead of time. I wish I knew what i know now i would have made better choices and stayed where i was at 19 years old. I was young and dumb as they say

2. Don't wait so long after graduating to get a job, i should have taken anything off the bat, even temporary but i did that too late. I was stubborn and wanted what i wanted and didn't want to settle for a temp job until i had no choice. Wrong move.

I think it's interesting that you rag on state schools. Some state schools are amazing though. UC Berkley, University of Michigan, and University of Virginia are all state schools (unless you're talking about something else) and are all amazing.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about Sikorsky, my friend who is great at interviewing and has great aviation experience didn't get a job at Sikorsky either.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Hopefully this doesn't come off the wrong way but was he international? Maybe it's a cultural thing. Anyway, that's crazy. I can't believe anyone would do that.

No, the candidate was not international in the least.

I've been on the hiring side of interviewing for about a year and a half now...I've never experienced something like that.

Developer lead and I were IMing through it, not believing what we were hearing.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I think it's interesting that you rag on state schools. Some state schools are amazing though. UC Berkley, University of Michigan, and University of Virginia are all state schools (unless you're talking about something else) and are all amazing.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about Sikorsky, my friend who is great at interviewing and has great aviation experience didn't get a job at Sikorsky either.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the dig at a state school is all about. Sometimes state schools are actually tougher because they are under no pressure to ensure everyone graduates with a 3.8 or higher and ends up in the best jobs out there.

The biggest drawback is that the alumni base usually isn't as strong and the school name doesn't carry as much weight.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No, the candidate was not international in the least.

I've been on the hiring side of interviewing for about a year and a half now...I've never experienced something like that.

Developer lead and I were IMing through it, not believing what we were hearing.

You ever watch Frasier? There's an episode where some guy calls in Frasier's radio show who is terrified of speaking in public so he just wrote out his part and stock answers to stock questions. You can clearly hear he's reading. Then Frasier asks "what if someone asks you a question you didn't anticipate?" Then you hear the guy rustling papers and getting frustrated because he can't find that question in his notes. :laugh:

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Hey guys another update:
I just graduated from Florida state last Saturday. still no leads on jobs. since this thread was started ive learned how to code in: STATA, R, SAS, and SQL.
Stata was mainly for class work
R was to run fancy hockey stats stuff
SAS and SQL just kinda beefing up the resume.
As i continue my job search ive really enjoyed learning coding languages so i was wondering if there were any programmers on here who could tell me which language to learn next. Im currently trying to decide between Python and Java.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Based on the type of work you seem to be interested in, Python would be the correct direction.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hey guys another update:
I just graduated from Florida state last Saturday. still no leads on jobs. since this thread was started ive learned how to code in: STATA, R, SAS, and SQL.
As i continue my job search ive really enjoyed learning coding languages so i was wondering if there were any programmers on here who could tell me which language to learn next. Im currently trying to decide between Python and Java.

Start picking up some of the slack in the Advanced Stats thread, bum :P

Start pushing all your code to GitHub so you have a portfolio you can show potential employers.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
As a first-year associate, the research assignments that trickle down to me are often the partner's last ditch effort to find supporting authority for some argument the partner wants to make. Basically, I am the firm's bearer of bad news.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
As a first-year associate, the research assignments that trickle down to me are often the partner's last ditch effort to find supporting authority for some argument the partner wants to make. Basically, I am the firm's bearer of bad news.

This is not something I miss at all.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T FIND THAT ONE PIECE OF SUPPORTING LAW THAT I THOUGHT MIGHT EXIST IN THE ENTIRETY OF US CASELAW!?!?"

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hey guys another update:

If you like medicine/science, look into bioinformatics. Jobs are always hiring and need analysts who have coding skills

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This is not something I miss at all.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T FIND THAT ONE PIECE OF SUPPORTING LAW THAT I THOUGHT MIGHT EXIST IN THE ENTIRETY OF US CASELAW!?!?"

"Crease, I need you to find me Utah case law standing for the proposition that up means down. Don't spend more than one hour. Also, where are you on the 2+2=5 thing?"

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Hey guys another update:

If you have any apple product it can never hurt to learn objective C. Download xcode if you have a mac. IIRC registering with apple as a developer is free until you actually have something you want to list on the app store (may have to pay a registration fee if you want to have an ios app just on your own device).

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Hey guys another update:

Java. Master the object-oriented programming principles of Java and then you will have absolutely no problem learning any other language you want.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Java. Master the object-oriented programming principles of Java and then you will have absolutely no problem learning any other language you want.

I agree. It's also more common than Python which will increase the number of opportunities available.

Also, Javascript is a very good language to learn. It's easy to pickup, but very difficult to master. It's becoming very Java-like in it's ability to run just about anywhere.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hey guys another update:

Why not both? I think starting off, Python is easier to start off for a programming language (assignment statements, Memory model, nested calls, function reuse, loops, etc.). You can still learn inheritance and OOPs in python as well. I just think the code is cleaner to understand for a beginner.

Java is better for OOP, as mentioned and definitely more applicable to real life. The experience from Python will certainly help any other programming language you're going to learn.

It depends on what you want entirely. If you're looking into Machine Learning perhaps, start off with Python. There are already plenty of models like AutoGrad that can get you started. It seems you already have a Stats background with R and SAS, so that's a good start.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This thread as well as the advanced stats thread makes me feel so so dumb.

BTW, I just recently got a job and am moving to Philly for it. It's a project manager job. Never did the work before nor studied it, should be interesting.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Thanks for the help again!

I decided to do python since it's generally viewed as easier to learn. I was trying to avoid a trial by fire situation. So with that said I'm still working on some basics and I know there is a ton of info out there, but does anyone have any ideas for beginner projects. Or has some work that needs to be done that maybe I can help with. I'm just spit balling here. Lol

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

I decided to do python since it's generally viewed as easier to learn. I was trying to avoid a trial by fire situation. So with that said I'm still working on some basics and I know there is a ton of info out there, but does anyone have any ideas for beginner projects. Or has some work that needs to be done that maybe I can help with. I'm just spit balling here. Lol

Things that are easier to learn tend to cause you to not follow best practices because once you think you can make whatever you want, you'll probably stop reading the tutorial book. I strongly suggest learning Java or C# first, because it's harder to learn, and once you really understand OOP, you can easily transfer your knowledge to Python.

Now for beginner projects, do you have any knowledge of SQL or HTML and CSS?

A classic example of a beginner project is an ATM machine. If you're a super beginner, just make a console app to allow users to deposit, withdraw, and view their balance. If you don't have experience with SQL, for now learn how to save their account info. For now you could just save the data to a text file. When the app starts, check if the file exists, and if it does, read the file with their account info. If the file doesn't exist, assume it's a new account, and have them create the account (maybe just their name, a PIN, and 0.00 as their starting balance).

After you learn how to read and write files, learn how to serialize objects. This is a more correct way to do something like this. If you're using Python, there is a module called Pickle you could use. If you decide to go with Java, there is an interface called Serializable.

After you do that and assuming you don't know SQL, stop what you're doing and spend a few days just focusing on SQL, probably just go with MySQL because it's free and widely popular. Then scrap the serialization idea and now save your data to the database. Now allow there to be multiple bank accounts, and maybe decide to keep a log of every transaction for each account.

Assuming you don't know anything about web development, learn HTML, CSS, and maybe sometime in the future learn Javascript. Right now just skip Javascript to make your life easier and turn this project into a website.

Now learn Javascript if you want to make the user experience much better.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I think best bet may be to participate in stuff like Hackathons... It's a way to network and learn on the fly.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013

Change that to "best bser" and we have a winner.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Aside from my ranting, theres a few lessons for you younger guys to take away from this

1. Don't think the grass is always greener elsewhere and do proper research ahead of time. I wish I knew what i know now i would have made better choices and stayed where i was at 19 years old. I was young and dumb as they say

2. Don't wait so long after graduating to get a job, i should have taken anything off the bat, even temporary but i did that too late. I was stubborn and wanted what i wanted and didn't want to settle for a temp job until i had no choice. Wrong move.
I agree with you on number 1. Disagree on 2.

I was taking the scenic route through college. I changed majors a few times, and as a result knew I would need a 5th year after 2 years. During my 4th year, I was living at home and things were not smooth with my parents. I was 21-22 and I was willing to let it be known when I was annoyed. For example, in the spring, I worked a 10-hour shift on fridays lifeguarding. One Friday, came home around 4:30 and as soon as I walked in the door, I heard my mother say, "Oh, patrick's home. I'll send him." I forget what she wanted me to do, but I just didn't want to do it. That summer, I was registered and it got bad to the point where I moved out. Got a job as a cold caller in a chop shop (stocks). After about a year, I hated it, got a job at a discount brokerage handling trade disputes. This was the fall of 99. Market was busy busy busy. By March 2001, it was dead. For the first year and a half I was making tons of money on OT, had a nice overnight differential, then OT dried up and it was awful. On top of that, there was a hiring freeze. We lost 3 guys in my department of about 10 (they left, not fired) and we were not allowed to replace them. Couldn't even accept a transfer from another department. So, I saw the writing on the wall and headed back to school to finish. Got laid-off Nov 2001, collected unemployment for a year while I finished and graduated Dec 2002. Was a finance major and tried like hell to get back into something wall st related. All I was getting was sales jobs and I didn't want it. Got a job at a bank, (more on that in point 2), lost job at bank. A woman with whom I played cards was a principal in Brooklyn. Asked me if I wanted to try teaching. This was May 2003. Couldn't get the credentials I needed in time to start immediately, but was able to get a temp license for September. Started (not her school) and been doing so ever since. For the first year I thought it was a temp thing and I kept looking for finance jobs. Eventually gave up and said screw it, just going to teach. Fast forward almost 14 years later. My friends who did get into finance, all but 1 are just miserable. They make more money than I do, but wish they could get out. They are at the point where they feel stuck. Too young to retire, but too old (we are all 40-41) to try and break into something new. One guy quit, started his own business and 2 years later was nearly broke. Don't get me wrong, I make good money. I work after-school center and get paid extra, I take extra classes which gets me paid extra, I work a program in the summer, and up until last year was reffing football and umpiring baseball and softball. Point is, took me a long time to get over not getting back into finance/wall street. In the back off my mind I kept saying that I knew I could be making more money doing something like that, but at 30-32 was not looking to start from the bottom again. Real problem when i graduated college (I was 26 at this point) was that most companies viewed my experience as Customer Service, but I was not looking to do that again. My view was I did not spend all that money and time finishing school just to do what I was doing beforehand. So, while I might have been able to make more money, looking back on it, I am glad I made the switch (or was forced to switch) and glad I was never able to get into finance.

On point 2, I will disagree and the bank I mentioned earlier is why. January 2003, landed an interview with a Bank. They were expanding all over the NY Metro area. I go in for a general interview and get offered a position as a Customer Service Rep at a branch. I took it thinking it would be "a foot in the door" and I could work my way up. Well, wrong. I had asked someone in HR, with whom I had dealt as I started, about a credit analyst position. A guy in my training class was in it, and his dad was the head of HR. Gave me his dad's contact info and we spoke. Said I was on his list for the next class (in about 6 months). For that position, they would hire people about 10 at a time every 6 months or so. Well, my would-be branch manager found out and I was let go. Said I wasn't "committed to my role as a CSR or to the success of her branch." Funny thing is, when I was interviewed I made it clear that I did not go back and finish school just to make ATM cards and open checking accounts for people. About 6 months after I was fired, ran into a guy who worked at the branch I was supposed to work. He transferred because the manager who canned me was nuts, and she was eventually fired herself. Point is, if I had waited. Apparently, at this company, once you were hired, you were pretty much committed to that position for 6 months, might have been able to get something else. BUT, that brings me back to point 1. May not have been as green as I thought on the other side of the fence.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So i'm posting the story of my life in hopes that it inspires somebody else, but more importantly to drive home just how much "luck" is involved in getting that really ****ing elusive first job.

If you don't know me IRL (a handful of you do) I'm a 22 year old Compensation Analyst/HR Business Partner for a large scale entertainment company servicing contracted employees, multiconcurrent employees, and a bunch of other employment classes specializing in equity compensation and bonus structures. To put this as blunt as I can, I had absolutely no ****ing intention of ending up where I am right now, but god DAMN am I happy I did.

I've been in finance my entire life. I was a member of the business club in high school, took financial electives in high school, joined a fraternity with a plethora of finance alumni, and did a number of internships that directly pertained to what I wanted to do (I originally wanted to work on the buyer side of IB). Some of my internships (I had 5 total in my academic career) were absolute class with top notch compensation, excellent leadership, and really well structured programs in place for its members. But those internships don't turn you into a savage. Their a resume goldmine and have some excellent skill building exercises, but the difficult internships (that are usually illegal) are the ones that made me into a hungry, excel maestro psycho that I wound up being. I also participated in my school's portfolio planning, attempted to compete in the CFA challenge (lol, didn't go well), and got numerous excellent contacts in school. Me and a classmate almost had a case study we did published but we simply didn't have the time to complete our paper in time.

Now why the **** did I tell you all that? Because it did **** all to get me a job out of undergrad. Go figure, like most finance professionals my age can attest to, my resume still wasn't much better than a handful of my graduating class. All that hard work did **** all when it came to send in 200 applications only to get like 4 responses for thinly veiled sales positions that I had no interest in doing. It was dehumanizing. I felt like a total failure and that I was doomed to bartend for like 10 years while trying to get those ****s at Goldman Sachs to like me. I applied to the 5 year program at my school to do my MBA concurrently with my bachelors. So a full year of pointless attempts at networking (learned that real quick from this thread, LOL) and some more pointless resume stroking ahead. Yippee.

So I decided to apply to a company I liked a bit so I had something to do for my last fall semester. I actually totally ****ed up my interview because of a clerical error and it poorly set the tone for the entire interview. The recruiter called me back while I was **** drunk to let me know she went in another direction (although she had made up her mind on a candidate and I was just a formality, I found this out later on). But she let me know that someone in HR really liked my resume and wanted to talk to me. Now sober me would have said **** no to this, and call it a waste of time, but I was happy and in another place so I was like SUREEEE LETS TALK. Our interview went excellent and I was hired into the role, I was actually their first intern in that particular sub department. Hit it off really well with my boss and my supervisor and was quite literally thrown to the wolves because our department was heinously understaffed at the time. My role had me reviewing stock award contracts and loosely managing the plan, general administrative stuff but I caught on very quickly and became very well versed in our plans and their structures as time went on. I became the go-to guy for this stuff because my director was so busy and it was in the middle of a rough season for us. I started asking for more work, and developed my skills there like nowhere else with an excellent group of mentors. They extended me for another semester because I was really happy there and fit well in my role; it was in the back of my mind that I wanted to do something like this instead of IB but I didn't take it that seriously. My second semester I started interacting with the SVP of my department a lot more, doing projects just between us and preparing presentations for him. My SVP was ****ing incredible and to this day, the best boss I've ever had. Keep in mind, I was hired more in a data analysis role and a lot less in a compensation role, but compensation were so worked to death they absolutely needed me there; my supervisor (the guy that hired me) was doing work he quite literally had never done before because they were desperate.

I let my SVP know I wanted to make a career here, and that I've never been so engaged like I was here. He subtly pushed me onto other teams that needed help after me telling him this and I thrived, because this was obviously a test and I wasn't about to fail it. Loved my role, got as involved with the company and corporate outings as I could, and was generally having a great time and learning more every day. I would get officially hired halfway through the semester, even though we didn't really have the budget room for this, and I went through the ****ing roof. Today I got a big salary adjustment as part of our new approach to young talent retention, and I'm making serious money right now when people my age aren't even getting jobs. I'm so blessed and thankful that my work paid off, but, let's recap here.

1) I (THANK GOD) ****ed up an interview that cost me the job I originally wanted and was SIGNIFICANTLY more qualified for.

2) I was **** drunk and in a totally different state when I agreed to another interview that I absolutely would not have done sober.

3) I was the first intern in this department.

4) I got a supervisor who was brand new to this field who was willing to go on the line to give me very sensitive work. Things most supervisors, uh, would not do.

5) I was dropped into a team that was mostly new and in an extremely busy and stressful time of the year.

6) I was blessed with an amazing team that wanted nothing more than to see me succeed.

7) I was fortunate enough to stupidly go the MBA route, which bought me a PERFECT amount of time to.........totally change my career?

8) I was fortunate enough to have a SVP who WENT OUT OF BUDGET to keep me.

9) I got a very, very gracious salary adjustment, because of my MBA.

Sure, I worked my ****ing ass off to get where I am now. But look at all the dumb luck I got hit with to get there. Look at all of the "wow, this really happened?" situations I encountered. I just wanted something to do for a semester!!!! And here I am.....the happiest I've ever been and in an absolutely wonderful spot in my life and my career.

All of you youngins (people my age, lol) need to take note. It's so luck based. Getting that 1st job is so damn hard because so little separates us from each other. Really, none of the advice I could give you differs from most of the excellent advice some quality posters here have given. But as a generation, we're really fighting an uphill battle, and it's hard man. I'm blessed, every day I recognize this. But you will be too. I promise.

Know your worth, try new things, grind away those internships you hate, get people on your side. The keys to success.

It's hard guys, but I have faith in all of you. And I'd be delighted to help any of you with networking or anything you might want to know. We're a great group here, hit us up.

Godspeed friends.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Raspewtin's post is 10/10. Bookmark it.

I've changed things as well. I was teaching English to college kids (private business) and first of all, teaching English is supposed to be "easy" but it can be a ****ing pain in the ass. It's interpretive. My reading of literature and my subsequent writing is my vision. I can preach techniques until I'm blue in the face, but I can't give them my vision. College kids, no offense as I'm sure many of you are, also are a pain in the ass to tutor. First of all, you can't charge nearly as much if you're doing it privately, because they're paying tuition and living on ramen as it is. Secondly, they're away from their parents and being responsible for the first time (I understand, we've all been there) and there's a lot of hand-holding involved. It becomes almost my responsibility that they meet deadlines, and it's so much pressure. Then again, even if they are on point, they're fully responsible, so it's late-night phone calls, and working until sunrise, and working 60 hours a week during finals and midterms. I was just getting sick of it and was really discouraged because this had been, like, my thing.

Then I get a call (again, dumb luck, back to Rasp's point) from a parent who goes to college and saw my advertising. She calls me and asks if I can help with her kid. Long story short, the kid is like super smart and in 7th grade, is taking tests to get into fancy high schools. They wanna make sure he passes and he needs help with his reading comprehension. Again, sometimes frustrating, because I can't just make this kid read like I do. Anyway, the dad mentions to me that they're also looking for someone to help him with the math part of his test. I've never taught math, so I don't think twice about it.

One day I give the kid something to read, and I don't like to stare at him while he reads because he feels pressure, so I occupy myself with something, and I started flipping through his math book. I said "****, I can do this." So I told the dad "listen, I can teach him math," and they gave me a lot more hours and now we're doing math also.

Math is great because while reading is interpretive, in math, if the answer is five, it's ****ing five. If I can get him to five, my work is done. I don't need to instill in him a greater awareness of the text. Also, the parents are great because parents have actual careers and make actual money, and can compensate me equal to the work I put in. Moreover, the parents keep the kid on the ball and make sure he does his homework. When I go home for the day, I'm home. I don't get the panicked phone calls, the stress over deadlines, or "I know it's 8 pages but I did 4, can you just look at it?" I'm responsible for the kid and I want to see him succeed, but when I go home at the end of the day, I wanna be done and that's it, you know? And it's nice that I don't have a massive workload for two weeks during midterms and finals, and then I'm poor for a month after because nobody cares until they have finals or midterms. The work with kids is consistent.

Plus, there's still this weird reputation that ELA is easy, so you can get so much more coin for tutoring math.

So I started with college English but kids' math might end up being my jam :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad