Cardio workouts.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Habsaku said:
Where do you get weighted vests?

Anyways, I did a lot of boxing so I'm used to jump rope. Its a very good exercice if you do it right, meaning the two feet jumps you do as a kid is not the way to go. Use your wrists and do little jumps that look almost like you're jogging. Its tough at first but after 2-3 weeks you should start seeing some good results, in other words, you'll be able to do more then 30 secs every time.
http://www.weightvest.com/Pages/40lbpage.html

This is the one I have. It's pretty awesome.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Grave77digger said:
It just felt wierd, like I was jumping too high (with 2 feet). I wasnt coordinated enough to do one foot at a time. but I think I will try at home so i dont look stupid at the gym!

Ya you want to just do small jumps, and like I said it could be the length of the rope.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Sock said:
Jumping rope sounds good, I'll give that a go. If that doesn't give me the results I want I'll probably start running one day then getting on the stationary bike the next.

Skipping is awesome. 5 minutes of skipping = 15 minutes of running.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Grave77digger said:
It just felt wierd, like I was jumping too high (with 2 feet). I wasnt coordinated enough to do one foot at a time. but I think I will try at home so i dont look stupid at the gym!
Keep at it, and you'll be able to do it one foot at a time. It takes time.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Hank19 said:
Skipping is awesome. 5 minutes of skipping = 15 minutes of running.

skipping is good, but it isn't worth 15 minutes of running unless you're going fairly slow. 6 minute miles or quicker would make running and skipping pretty equal.

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Reaper45 said:
Jumping rope is always good. But what always helps me is sprinting. Sure it's tough, but it's waay better than running long distance, and it will help you if you play other sports as well.

I discovered this thread later than the rest of you. I've gleaned some good info from it.

I would agree that very few people can jump rope for more than a few minutes. It's harder than it looks, and the workout often gets cut short when you get tangled up in the rope!

At the rink last weekend, one player said the 'Sucide Drill' is a really good workout and replicates being on the ice in a game/shift because you're skating as hard as possible for a short time and then stop.

I think I'll give sprinting a try. I was a fast runner as a kid and want to buy some spikes again. I'll get mid-distance spikes as they might do double-duty for both the sprints and the longer runs.

Last edited:

member 30781

mazmin said:
Try the row machine and some swimming. Awesome cardio and some of the best exercises you can do. Jumping rope really gets the heart rate up. If you're in the right mood (need to vent some anger) try hitting the heavy bag at the gym... harder than it looks.

Oh, and don't forget some of the most fun cardio can be done in bed!
I agree. Jumping rope really gets your heart going and works both your heart and leg muscles. It is a great cardio workout

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
There have been studies done that prove that riding a stationary bike can actually hurt more then help. While on a bike your groin is basically locked in place which we all know is not the case when skating. I would combine biking with treadmills/Elypticals/Stairmasters. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to replicate a hockey shift with a rest period. HIIT has also been proven to retain the most amount of muscle when burning fat.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
night-timer said:
But hockey itself is the best exercise of all - especially for showing you just how out of condition you really are! ;)

Ice isn't cheap, and can be especially hard to find in an offseason. I agree though that skating is the best workout for skating. With an off ice workout routine the time you spen on the ice can be spent working on other things.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Sock said:
I seriously hate using a stationary bike, but I still do it, and more than the stationary bike I hate running.

What are some other routines that are good for cardio, or am I damned to this stationary bike? I have nowhere to inline skate (not until I get another car, at least), so that's ruled out.

If I can get away from the stationary bike, are there any muscles vital for hockey that deadlifts and calf raises wouldn't work that a stationary bike would?

Thanks for the pending answers, dudes.

I'm in the same boat. I detest cardio. But here's two things that have greatly helped me.
1. Change in routine - never do the same thing twice in a row
2. MP3 player

My cardio routine goes like this:

Monday - 30 minutes on stationary bike (I'll either listen to the MP3 player or bring ina copy of SI or some other magazine to read).
Tuesday - Sprint/Walk on treadmill. 5 minute walk to warmup and then do 1 minute intervals of walking and sprinting for 20 minutes. Then another 5 minutes of walking to cool down. Those 30 minutes will fly by.
Wednesday - 45 minutes on the eliptical. Switch going forward and then backward
Thursday - stair master. I do this after my leg workouts so I'll be lucky to last 10 minutes.
Friday - repeat one of the two. I like the stationary bike as it's good for hockey but running builds more stamina.

Skipping is also another fantastic exercise. 5 minutes of skipping=15 minutes of running. To anyone that doubts this ask someone that's schooled in physical therapy. A good friend of mine has a degree in Kiniseology and several certifications in personal training and other physical therapy fields.

Also, if your gym provides it take a couple classes of boxercise a week. There is absolutely no other sport that will get you into tip-top shape like boxing. I've played my share of sports and after actually boxing for 4 months all other activites pale in comparison.
When I started boxing I was playing for an intermural team while in college. At the beginning of the year I was always short of breath near the end of games. When I started boxing it only took 1 month and I could basically stay out on the ice for the entire game. Sparring 3 rounds or even going 3 rounds on the mitts will let you know just how out of shape you are. Trust me.

Last edited:

pitthockey81

Apr 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
If you are looking to get more speed, power, and endurance I recommend doing three things:

Lifting: Squat, deadlift, leg press, and calf raises once a week.

Plyometrics: Lots of different exercise, but it will increase your fast twitch muscles, and your explosiveness. (give at least 2 days rest between plyometric day and lifting day)

Cardio: At least 4 times a week. I play usually 2-3 times a week so I count that in my cardio. The other two days I switch between running a long distance (2-3 miles), and running up steep hills or steps for 20-30 mins to build anaerobic and aerobic power at the same time.

Sample Week:
Monday-Hockey Game
Tuesday-Lift Legs
Wednesday-Run Long Distance
Thursday-Hockey Game
Friday-Plyometrics
Saturday-Run Hills
Sunday-Off Day

This doesn't sound real intense, but if you try it you'll see a dramatic difference within 2 weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->