Pre-Game Talk: CarBuf

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
all cars are Toyota camrys

1280px-%D0%A2%D0%BE%D0%B9%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B0_Celica_Camry_%D1%81%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BD_%D0%AF%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%84%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%B8.jpg

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think the biggest issue I'm seeing this season is stagnation. Yes, the last few seasons have sucked, but we could see visible signs of improvement in some aspect of the team by the end of the year.

This year, thus far, I've not seen that. Every aspect has either remained the same or fallen off a bit. And that's not good. Stagnation before they're a consistent, solid playoff team spells trouble for the future.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
dear team, i bought tix, but you still ain't winnin
i lost my car, my house, and my left arm to pay for parkin
a friend was gonna buy tix back in summer, he must not have got em
that probably is the problem with the attendance or something

The team's run cold I'm wondering why
they got out of bed at all.
The morning skate isn't helping
And they can't score at all.
And even if they could it would all be bad
Pucks going through Scott's five hole.
It reminds me that it's all so bad
It's all so bad

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think the biggest issue I'm seeing this season is stagnation. Yes, the last few seasons have sucked, but we could see visible signs of improvement in some aspect of the team by the end of the year.

This year, thus far, I've not seen that. Every aspect has either remained the same or fallen off a bit. And that's not good. Stagnation before they're a consistent, solid playoff team spells trouble for the future.

Yeah. Faulk and Rask have not been good, and for better or worse, those two are huge pieces of this team. Goaltending has basically been the same or slightly better (but not enough to make a real difference), and defensively there are still far too many breakdowns. The power play is frankly a joke. The PK has looked great at times, but they are near the bottom 3rd statistically. This team just isn't top 5 in pretty much anything. And if you're not gonna be great at something, you should probably be above average at a lot of things, and they're not that either.

That said, it's still early.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
The team's run cold I'm wondering why
they got out of bed at all.
The morning skate isn't helping
And they can't score at all.
And even if they could it would all be bad
Pucks going through Scott's five hole.
It reminds me that it's all so bad
It's all so bad

my teams gone cold, i'm wondering why
i even watch at all
the morning tweets cloud up my phone screen
and i can't read them all
and even if i could it'd all be gray
cause the team has hit a wall
it reminds me that all sports are bad,
all sports are bad

was my version of that part on twitter earlier

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Stats through 17 games for last 3 years:

(Data from Fox Sports - too lazy to check OTL so they are counted as L)

W/LGAGASASVSV%PPGOPP PPPK %FO PCT
2015-166-112.003.122.8824.8822.0688.2%85880.7%52.9%
2016-177-102.594.182.8227.8825.0689.6%115692.5%53.7%
2017-187-102.885.002.8229.4126.5990.3%85678.1%52.5%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah. Faulk and Rask have not been good, and for better or worse, those two are huge pieces of this team. Goaltending has basically been the same or slightly better (but not enough to make a real difference), and defensively there are still far too many breakdowns. The power play is frankly a joke. The PK has looked great at times, but they are near the bottom 3rd statistically. This team just isn't top 5 in pretty much anything. And if you're not gonna be great at something, you should probably be above average at a lot of things, and they're not that either.

That said, it's still early.
Its pretty damning to Peters' ability to coach when you have a team that has all the intangibles and statistics to be good, but the product on the ice is low end mediocre at best. This team was built to sacrifice a little offensively because they knew they could be dominant defensively, and they can't even get that part right. The PK is inconsistent trending towards bad over the long haul, and offensively, it is far more than just a small sacrifice, its just not good. This is a franchise that thinks it has an identity, but hasn't shown the ability to actually have it. For everything that it should be, it fails at miserably.

I'm really seriously beginning to think that Peters just isn't a good NHL head coach, and the assistants aren't all that great, either.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
A frustrating thing, is when they do switch coaches, it's going to be a huge adjustment, so if they do it in season, it might not be a very smooth transition.
You also have to have an owner who cares, and right now I'm not sure we do. Plus, its not a good look to have to change coaches when you're in the middle of a franchise sale, which is why it sucks soooo much that whole thing appears to be falling apart, because now we'll have to restart the whole process again. The longer it goes, the more delayed these kind of necessary changes will be, and the longer the fans will have to wait for some legitimate improvement. Right now we're just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic trying to pass it off as the fix needed to be good, yet they're not fooling anyone because the fans caught onto the scheme a couple years ago. Its just an ugly cycle that needs to end, and the first step is getting rid of Karmanos, who says he's trying to sell the team, but seems to be making every effort possible to undermine even those efforts.

*sigh*

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The hysterics over Peters system and it limiting offense have reached peak absurdity. The Hurricanes generate the 4th most high danger scoring chances per game of any team in the league. They also are 7th in the league in 5 on 5 goals scored. That’s when Peters system is actually implemented, 5 on 5. The special teams have sucked out loud this year, and that’s why the record isn’t where it should be.

Edit: Rankkngs are based on per game numbers.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
The hysterics over Peters system and it limiting offense have reached peak absurdity. The Hurricanes generate the 4th most high danger scoring chances per game of any team in the league. They also are 7th in the league in 5 on 5 goals scored. That’s when Peters system is actually implemented, 5 on 5. The special teams have sucked out loud this year, and that’s why the record isn’t where it should be.

Yeah our special teams have SUCKED. And goaltending isn't doing us any favors.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

This is why I tend to lean toward Peters not being the problem. I certainly don't think you need to be making a coaching change midseason. That just reeks of panic. I think we have to admit that this team, as constructed, may just not be good enough yet. If you look at the depth chart as an opposing coach, are you really that intimidated by too many players? The forwards especially. Aho, Skinner, Staal, Teravainen, and Lindholm to an extent all bring something to the table, but what about Rask? In terms of shot generation, he's one of the worst on the team. In terms of suppression, he's one of the worst on the team. Both in the context of high danger and overall chances. He's not scoring. Individually, he's not even generating many chances off his own stick. Derek Ryan isn't much better. That's two of the top three centers, leaving Jordan Staal to shoulder a heavy burden. He's been solid this year, but he's not a guy you want everything to ride on.

Going into the season, we knew center was going to be an issue if it wasn't addressed. It hasn't been, and it is. A lot was hinging on Rask continuing to develop, and he's been really disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->