Confirmed with Link: CAR/ARIZ: Marcus Kruger (10% retained by CAR), 2018 3rd for Jordan Martinook, 2018 4th

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Most prospects DON'T dominate amateur leagues and are not offensive dynamos, and never will be, and that is why most don't make it to the NHL.
Crouse absolutley had the tools to do it. He did it in small samples. He clearly needed another year to have a dominant amateurs season. There is no question he would’ve put up big numbers with an extra year.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm okay with posters criticizing other opinions provided they provide one of their own. It's easy to say someone else is wrong when talking about the NHL draft where success is defined by hitting on 20% of your picks.
I’m almost always wrong about the draft. Haha.

rt

May 13, 2004
This stopped being on topic like three pages ago. Not sure there’s much left to say about Nook for Kruger anyway.

Let’s complain about me in the OT thread for those that would like to complain about me (as a true narcissist, I’ll take whatever I can get) :)

Let’s talk draft in the draft thread. I’m excited to see Hughes adapt to WC play with and against NHL players. If he continues to look this good, he’s number four with a bullet on my list.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Crouse absolutley had the tools to do it. He did it in small samples. He clearly needed another year to have a dominant amateurs season. There is no question he would’ve put up big numbers with an extra year.
Now he won't because he didn't have that extra year in junior?

Blake Wheeler says hello.
I said most.

rt

May 13, 2004
Now he won't because he didn't have that extra year in junior?

I said most.
It’s a set back. He lost a development year. An extremely critical one at just the wrong time. Yes, there’s a solid chance that cost him his ceiling. Just as injuries in the wrong season can wreck prospects irreparably.

Jake, you’ve heard people talk about how teams develop prospects, right? You don’t draft finished prospects who will turn out however they were going to turn out regardless of how you f*** with them. Handle with care. That’s the whole idea.

It’s obviously the wrong move to take a kid who’s not ready and stuck him on the 4th line of a cellar dweller just because he’s big enough and fast enough not to get embarrassed. Because you can do something does not mean you should do it. You know that.

rt

May 13, 2004
I said most.
Detroit was smart enough to send Mantha back. They’ll be glad they did the same with Rasmussen. Ottawa would’ve been very stupid not to send Brown back. All three of those guys could’ve been decent as 4th line wingers on bad teams. Their teams weren’t dumb enough to prove it.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’s a set back. He lost a development year. An extremely critical one at just the wrong time. Yes, there’s a solid chance that cost him his ceiling. Just as injuries in the wrong season can wreck prospects irreparably.

Jake, you’ve heard people talk about how teams develop prospects, right? You don’t draft finished prospects who will turn out however they were going to turn out regardless of how you **** with them. Handle with care. That’s the whole idea.

It’s obviously the wrong move to take a kid who’s not ready and stuck him on the 4th line of a cellar dweller just because he’s big enough and fast enough not to get embarrassed. Because you can do something does not mean you should do it. You know that.
Crouse will prove you wrong this year.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Kingston is a OHL franchise that just doesn't develop talent properly. I was happy we removed Crouse from that environment. I think he can do more and will. He was never going to be a 30 goal guy but I think he can score 20.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Kingston is a OHL franchise that just doesn't develop talent properly. I was happy we removed Crouse from that environment. I think he can do more and will. He was never going to be a 30 goal guy but I think he can score 20.
They rebuilt that next year. They traded Foegele to Erie mid season, for example. Could’ve been Crouse. Would’ve loved Crouse to start the year in Kingston, go represent Canada at the WJC with Strome, and be dealt to Erie to chase the Memorial Cup with him. Might’ve been enough to push Erie over the top. Canada, too. He and Strome could’ve had Gold and a Mem Cup (Canada had Silver and Erie lost the mem cup championship game in the last seconds).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They rebuilt that next year. They traded Foegele to Erie mid season, for example. Could’ve been Crouse. Would’ve loved Crouse to start the year in Kingston, go represent Canada at the WJC with Strome, and be dealt to Erie to chase the Memorial Cup with him. Might’ve been enough to push Erie over the top. Canada, too. He and Strome could’ve had Gold and a Mem Cup (Canada had Silver and Erie lost the mem cup championship game in the last seconds).
There's just something about Kingston that taints a player. Anyone drafted out of that organization in the first round just seems to fail to hit potential. I'm at the point where I may be prepared to red circle that team. I'd rather be surprised by drafting a London prospect than perennially disappointed by taking a player out of Kingston in the first round.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Thank you. I agree. If he hits 20 goals I will be very happy.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I said most.

Which is a Captain Obvious response at best.

Seems there are two distinct camps here over Crouse. One wanted him back up here because he did a fairly decent job and deserved it and the other felt he should have been kept in the A to work on his game like he’s doing this year. Because Tocchet’s system puts a bigger premium on skating and speed and Crouse had neither.

Which are you in???

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Which is a Captain Obvious response at best.

Seems there are two distinct camps here over Crouse. One wanted him back up here because he did a fairly decent job and deserved it and the other felt he should have been kept in the A to work on his game like he’s doing this year. Because Tocchet’s system puts a bigger premium on skating and speed and Crouse had neither.

Which are you in???
Are you saying Crouse does not have speed and is not a good skater? For the record, I would have kept him up this year.

Reactions: RemoAZ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I've never seen Crouse as anything more than a 10-15 goal guy. I still think it did him no favours being on last year's train wreck.

And far more importantly, it did the org no favours to effectively trade back from the second round in exchange for seventy games of a fourth liner.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Are you saying Crouse does not have speed and is not a good skater? For the record, I would have kept him up this year.

Not enough for how Tocchet wants to play.

He might have been fine under last year’s system. Not this year.

Crouse said in an interview the Coyotes had several things they wanted him to work on in Tucson. Skating was one. Play away from the puck was another. Just like they did with Dylan Strome. Strome managed to earn his way back before the end of the season. Crouse isn’t there just yet but he’ll get a shot come this fall.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m very excited about the potential for Crouse-Kruger-Cousins as our new fourth line. I liked the old fourth line, too. This one seems fun, though.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'm okay with posters criticizing other opinions provided they provide one of their own. It's easy to say someone else is wrong when talking about the NHL draft where success is defined by hitting on 20% of your picks.

I couldn't be less interested in reading yet another opinion born of either the love, or hatred for the last regime. Particularly when said opinions will never be able to be proven one way, or another. As for the draft, I Doan believe I've ever said anyone was wrong regarding anything to do with the draft, for basically the very reason you state.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It took a couple of seasons for Tom Wilson to get over 30 points. I expect Crouse to take some time too. I hope he makes a huge jump next season though, he will become one of my favorite players if he can put it all together, but right now Bunting has just as much of a chance to make the 4th line.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If you put Crouse on a line with a couple of shooters, he should pot 20 between his own shots and rebounds. My issue with Crouse is that he has hands of cement. He can't hit the broad side of a barn. Everything was wide and high. He wasn't very good defending, and for a big guy with a long stick like him, he should be a very good defender. As to the skating, he can skate just fine. Surprisingly fast for such a big guy. That was never his issue. His issue was that he can't defend well and he can't hit the net shooting off of the rush.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Crouse said in an interview the Coyotes had several things they wanted him to work on in Tucson. Skating was one. Play away from the puck was another. Just like they did with Dylan Strome. Strome managed to earn his way back before the end of the season. Crouse isn’t there just yet but he’ll get a shot come this fall.

Crouse tends to lack endurance imo and he doesn't seem capable of physically acquiring the endurance needed for this system. He's got descent speed, but peters out easily, I've honestly never seen an otherwise in shape guy get winded as quickly. Obviously hoping I'm wrong.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I didn't hear that about his skating.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Crouse tends to lack endurance imo and he doesn't seem capable of physically acquiring the endurance needed for this system. He's got descent speed, but peters out easily, I've honestly never seen an otherwise in shape guy get winded as quickly. Obviously hoping I'm wrong.
Could he be one of the guys RT was talking about not being in shape. Maybe Crouse thought he had a position locked up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad