Captians and Alternatives for each team

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
It was contact to the head. They may not have made the right call, but a call still should have been made.

Sorry, contact to the head isn't illegal. It wasn't an elbow or a high stick. Phaneuf had his shoulder and elbow tucked into his body and levelled him. Clean as they come.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:
Sorry, contact to the head isn't illegal. It wasn't an elbow or a high stick. Phaneuf had his shoulder and elbow tucked into his body and levelled him. Clean as they come.
http://www.ciha.org.nz/misc/new_rules.html

Rule 540 - Checks to the Head or Neck
Any player checking his/her opponent to the head or neck shall be penalized with a minor penalty plus misconduct penalty (2 + 10), a major penalty plus game misconduct penalty (5 + Game) or a match penalty.

If a player injures his/her opponent as a result of checking the head/neck the referee must assess a match penalty. As a new signal for this rule, the referee must move his/her hand with the palm towards the side of the head.

They do use the IIHF rules at U20 tournaments, don't they?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Jacobv2 said:
It was contact to the head. They may not have made the right call, but a call still should have been made.

You do realize you are arguing with Flames fans on this issue, correct?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Chaos said:
You do realize you are arguing with Flames fans on this issue, correct?
I'm not arguing anything. I'm simply going by what the rulebook says.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
JasonMacIsaac said:
I don't think Olesz will get the captain over Vrana. Leadership is one of Vrana's best traits.

...lol and back on topic..

I like the hit.....I think there should be more of it in hockey :handclap:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
No....actually the topic was about captains and assistant and I didn't get a good reason why Olesz would be considered the captain over Vrana.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
JasonMacIsaac said:
No....actually the topic was about captains and assistant and I didn't get a good reason why Olesz would be considered the captain over Vrana.
Why do you believe he should be over Vrana?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Senor Rational said:
Why do you believe he should be over Vrana?
The only reason why I could think of them giveing him the C is because he is their rest player. Thats the same as Lindros getting the C in Philly or Yashin in Ottawa.

Red Machine

Mar 3, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Captains

I see five players in the running to get the 'C' for Canada.
- Mike Richards
- Dion Phaneuf
- Jeremy Colliton
- Patrice Bergeron
- Brent Seabrooke
All are extremely capable to wear letters, and each player are captains with their respective junior teams with the exception of Bergeron of course.

My picks,

C- Dion Phaneuf
A- Mike Richards
A- Jeremy Colliton
A- Brent Seabrooke/Patrice Bergeron if there is a 3rd 'A' awarded.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Red Machine said:
All are extremely capable to wear letters, and each player are captains with their respective junior teams with the exception of Bergeron of course.
Oddly enough Dion Phaneuf is not the captain of his junior team. Fellow team Canada hopefuly Colin Fraser is.

I still think Phaneuf will wear the C for team Canada however.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MePutPuckInNet said:
Pioneer Press

"...Sandelin said O'Sullivan, who plays for the Mississauga Ice Dogs in the Ontario Hockey League, probably will be one of the captains along with former University of Wisconsin defenseman Ryan Suter."

That's a big compliment to O'Sullivan. He's come a long way.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
JasonMacIsaac said:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...05,0,7177177.column?coll=sfla-sports-panthers

Under the title "Promising prospects".....

Center Rostislav Olesz, taken by the Panthers with the seventh pick in June, has been named captain for the Czech Republic's World Junior Championships team that will play in North Dakota this month.

As for a reason why he should be captain, he plays in the Czech Men's league so that shows the kid has a lot of maturity, don't know anything about Vrana so can't say if he would be better or worse for the job.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Crossbar said:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...05,0,7177177.column?coll=sfla-sports-panthers

Under the title "Promising prospects".....

As for a reason why he should be captain, he plays in the Czech Men's league so that shows the kid has a lot of maturity, don't know anything about Vrana so can't say if he would be better or worse for the job.
That is the dumbest reason ever. Kovalchuk played in the mens league at 17, why not give him the captain at that age due to his maturity. Vrana isn't nearly as talented as Olesz but he is the captain for a CHL team. I don't know if any Euro other then him has eveer done that.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Well playing in the Men's league is a lot more pressure than playing in Juniors, but ok I'll give another reason why Olesz makes a good captain, his character. He always does everything his Sparta coaches tell him to which includes making him play in a defensive checking line role and hes never once complained according to his coaches. Olesz also already has experience playing in the WJC and coaches usually want their captains to have that. While I don't know anything about Vrana, his HF profile does not make mention of any WJC experience in his history, so I'm assuming this will be his first time he'll be representing the Czechs.

Why shouldn't Olesz be captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad