GDT: Caps Vs Avs 9PM BASIC EDITION

Burakovsky95*

Relative to other players on the team, he was a possession anchor.

Under Adam Oates.

Throw those years out. He was literally one of the worst NHL coaches in the last 20 years. Troy Brouwer is the least of our worries right now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Relative to other players on the team, he was a possession anchor.

This is one case where you have to go back to the eye test. What's he doing relative to his linemates? What kind of linemates has he had? For the most part he's enjoyed time on lines with our top scoring/shooting threats. So the actions of those players in boosting shot counts can in turn boost his fancy stats.

But let's not confuse "possession stats" with actual possession. Those stats do NOT measure actual possession and ability to sustain control of the puck. In terms of actual possession Brouwer is indeed often a black hole where offensive pressure and cycles go to DIE.

This is partly due to lapses in offensive awareness that cause him to go inexplicably go to the wrong spot and miss a pass or shot opportunity, partly due to trying to do too much with the puck at times, and partly due to some reckless decision making that results in turnovers or losing the offensive zone (the increasingly infamous blind backhand diagonally across the ice toward nobody in particular and then out of the zone, for example).

Every now and then he'll get a lucky goal or pot one from the slot on the PP. That's about all he's good for, imo. When he's out there he can also be seen skating around off the puck, looking for opportunities to trip or otherwise foul other players in sneaky ways. He sometimes gets caught doing this. Watch for it. It's part of his game and it's probably one reason he keeps getting top 6 line assignments.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
This is one case where you have to go back to the eye test. What's he doing relative to his linemates? What kind of linemates has he had? For the most part he's enjoyed time on lines with our top scoring/shooting threats. So the actions of those players in boosting shot counts can in turn boost his fancy stats.

But let's not confuse "possession stats" with actual possession. Those stats do NOT measure actual possession and ability to sustain control of the puck. In terms of actual possession Brouwer is indeed often a black hole where offensive pressure and cycles go to DIE.

This is partly due to lapses in offensive awareness that cause him to go inexplicably go to the wrong spot and miss a pass or shot opportunity, partly due to trying to do too much with the puck at times, and partly due to some reckless decision making that results in turnovers or losing the offensive zone (the increasingly infamous blind backhand diagonally across the ice toward nobody in particular and then out of the zone, for example).

Every now and then he'll get a lucky goal or pot one from the slot on the PP. That's about all he's good for, imo. When he's out there he can also be seen skating around off the puck, looking for opportunities to trip or otherwise foul other players in sneaky ways. He sometimes gets caught doing this. Watch for it. It's part of his game and it's probably one reason he keeps getting top 6 line assignments.

Brouwer fails the eye test about 20 times a night. The guy just isn't good at anything sans-face offs.

I agree with just about all of your points. His lack of speed also hurts his defensive play, as he's constantly chasing the puck and never actually getting it. He isn't good in any of the three zones.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Brouwer fails the eye test about 20 times a night. The guy just isn't good at anything sans-face offs.

I agree with just about all of your points. His lack of speed also hurts his defensive play, as he's constantly chasing the puck and never actually getting it. He isn't good in any of the three zones.

He's the 2RW and supposed to be the banger on that line. So the question you have to ask is he really a slight step down from Wilson in that department? I don't think he is. I think he's a little bit of this and a little bit of that and doesn't really fill the dirty banger role.

If we're going to put a disruptive guy in that spot, it isn't him. If we're going to put a flashy player out there for a speed and dangle line, it ain't him. So why is he ALWAYS up there despite nearly every other player other than Ovechkin being moved around???

I am just not high on Brouwer the more I watch him. I think he's a bottom 6 guy on a contending team. We have too many guys like him and imo he's odd man out.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
He's the 2RW and supposed to be the banger on that line. So the question you have to ask is he really a slight step down from Wilson in that department? I don't think he is. I think he's a little bit of this and a little bit of that and doesn't really fill the dirty banger role.

If we're going to put a disruptive guy in that spot, it isn't him. If we're going to put a flashy player out there for a speed and dangle line, it ain't him. So why is he ALWAYS up there despite nearly every other player other than Ovechkin being moved around???

I am just not high on Brouwer the more I watch him. I think he's a bottom 6 guy on a contending team. We have too many guys like him and imo he's odd man out.

He's too soft to be a banger. His hits make absolutely no difference in the game, and bangers go to the net. Brouwer does not.

As I said before, he's an average grinder who thinks he's a skill player. Every single year we hear about not having enough guys in front of the net by our coach -- the grinder on our team who gets the most ice time is Brouwer, and he never goes to the net. He's the main problem.

All these line changes throughout these last few years and I'm about 99% sure Brouwer is THE ONLY player who hasn't been moved around. It's really baffling to me. I would trade him in a heartbeat.

To expand on his role on that line: if we need a banger, it's not him. If we need a skill player, it's not him. Even if we need a defensive player, it STILL isn't him. He's not as physical as Wilson, not as fast as Chimera, doesn't have the board-ability or the soft hands of Joel Ward, doesn't even have the defense of a Brooks Laich... and yet he never budges off the second line. I'm not sure what his purpose is.

I won't lie, I have hated Brouwer for several seasons now... but it's not because I had some bias against him or something. In my eyes, the guy sucks and just eats up ice time from better players. Simple as that. I also have no tolerance for big players who play small. That's what he does.

Last edited:

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Plus he's a cream puff since coming to the Caps.. Somewhere (Club Kettler?) along the way he's gotten the idea he's too much of a star to scrap it up and "enforce" on his line.. He just runs that mouth and uses his stick in retaliation (dumb penalties) if anyone challenges him or his line mates.. He also gets credit for a bunch of hits on the data card, that I rarely, if ever, notice..

He's not an actual problem, but for the role he (supposed to) plays he should come with a lot more piss and vinegar.. He doesn't really fit that "pack mentality" role that Trotz wants from the team, imo..

(Edit: I should of read all the "Brouwer" posts before posting.. Fl.Cap & g00n pretty much summed it for me)

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
again, I am fine with trading brouwer. but...20 goal scorers are hard to find. he scored 20+ last season was on his way to far more in the shortened season previous. he seems consistant now in that regard. he's not brian willsie.

Also if he were playing so soft, why is it that Johansson and Burakovsky have largely been left alone? My take is that Brouwer patrolling that wing plays a big part in that.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The Caps played a solid road game at COL. Holtby and the D did what they needed to do. The D corps is very consistent. No drop off from pairing to pairing. Green is a wildcard every night (could be great, could get torched) but he has been solid lately.

Ovie played well. Backstrom played well. Burakovsky set up a great chance and had a good shot. Wilson crushed a guy and got crushed. Chimera played well—his goal was a great shot but most goalies would stop that.

I'm not exactly excited about this team but they're not hopeless. They need more skill at wing and at center. Trade bait: Brouwer, Laich (why didn't they buy him out?), Green, that's about all we have.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I believe Trotz knows what he's doing. I hope a string of good games and new found chemistry of the 1st line will make it easier to shift some players and maybe putting Brouwer on the 3rd will light some fire under him and make his hits hurt more. He is certainly can grind some more in a more nastier way.

Another problem I see is his next contract. If he's getting the raise I guess he will become next Laich. He isn't young. So I hope GMs BT & BM will identify that, trade him (in an asset management program they declared) and sign Ward for several seasons more.

Down the road we have right handed Barber (right?), Latta, Brown, Chuk.

And we can also trade for Semin anytime! :D

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
I believe Trotz knows what he's doing. I hope a string of good games and new found chemistry of the 1st line will make it easier to shift some players and maybe putting Brouwer on the 3rd will light some fire under him and make his hits hurt more. He is certainly can grind some more in a more nastier way.

Another problem I see is his next contract. If he's getting the raise I guess he will become next Laich. He isn't young. So I hope GMs BT & BM will identify that, trade him (in an asset management program they declared) and sign Ward for several seasons more.

Down the road we have right handed Barber (right?), Latta, Brown, Chuk.

And we can also trade for Semin anytime! :D

I have no problem with Brouwer but trade him in the off-season and slot Barber in the top-6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad