GDT: Caps @ Sharks (1 pm pst)

shorkie88

Jun 11, 2015
Calgary
well, if DeMelo doesnt get the opportunity and practice it, he'll never get better right. Remember his 3 point game?

Iron Mosher

Sep 29, 2017
Anaheim finally drops two games in regulation and sharks struggling to take advantage. Seems like when the teams around them lose, can’t capitalize. When they win and there’s no breathing room, that’s when we win.

I was thinking the same thing.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Anaheim finally drops two games in regulation and sharks struggling to take advantage. Seems like when the teams around them lose, can’t capitalize. When they win and there’s no breathing room, that’s when we win. Game isn’t over and I get that couture looks like a god damn bum out there right now but why take donskoi off the top line when he’s clearly rolling? As good an overall player as Logan is he’s quite slow and fighting it big time - don’t sacrifice our main dangerous scoring line right now just to get Logan rolling. Donskoi isn’t going to carry hertl and boedker. Not worth the swap IMO

I was thinking the same thing.

Noticed this for a while now. We've been like 2-4 points in front of them all season which makes it seem like we're certainly in playoff contention.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Well I'm not too surprised at the grid lock considering a playoff team already lost 2 games. I predict things will open up on Monday and we'll win with 5 goals. And boy, could they ever use Joe Thornton to give them that edge on the ice. Jeesuc krist.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
also good job PDB for not having the balls to challenge Backstrom's goal even though he was offsides by a mile.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
not to mention the Sharks are literally the #1 PK in the NHL right now. who cares if he loses and gets a penalty for it?
This right here. We still have to actually score goals still, but dammit that's offsides and if the refs decided to botch that we can kill the penalty anyway. PDB had to make that challenge

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I believe Randy's mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong, but once a player is offside that player's team can't touch the puck until it's exited the zone. That is unless ALL members of the team tag up, which the guy closest to the puck clearly didn't do.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
I believe Randy's mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong, but once a player is offside that player's team can't touch the puck until it's exited the zone.
No, that's not correct. Players can tag up on a delayed offside. So long as everyone gets onside at the same time before anyone plays the puck, offside is waived.

Here's the rule (which is admittedly not the easiest thing in the world to parse):

83.3 Delayed Off-Side - A situation where an attacking player(or players) has preceded the puck across the attacking blue line, but the defending team is in a position to bring the puck back out of its defending zone without any delay or contact with an attacking player, or, the attacking players are in the process of clearing the attacking zone.
If an off-side call is delayed, the Linesman shall drop his arm to nullify the off-side violation and allow play to continue if:
(i) All players of the offending team clear the zone at the same instant (skate contact with the blue line) permitting the attacking players to re-enter the attacking zone, or
(ii) The defending team passes or carries the puck into the neutral zone.
If the attacking team does not clear the attacking zone, play shall be stopped for the off-side violation if any attacking player touches the puck, or attempts to gain possession of a loose puck while the puck is still in the attacking zone, or forces the defending puck carrier further back into the attacking zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier.
If, during a delayed off-side, an attacking player in the attacking zone elects to proceed to his players' bench (which extends into the attacking zone) to be replaced by a teammate, he shall be considered to have cleared the zone provided he is completely off the ice and his replacement comes onto the ice in the neutral zone. If his replacement comes onto the ice in the attacking zone, if the delayed off-side is still in effect, he too must clear the attacking zone. If the remaining attacking players have cleared the attacking zone and the Linesman has lowered his arm for the delayed off-side, he shall be considered on-side.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
No, that's not correct. Players can tag up on a delayed offside. So long as everyone gets onside at the same time before anyone plays the puck, offside is waived.

Here's the rule (which is admittedly not the easiest thing in the world to parse):

83.3 Delayed Off-Side - A situation where an attacking player(or players) has preceded the puck across the attacking blue line, but the defending team is in a position to bring the puck back out of its defending zone without any delay or contact with an attacking player, or, the attacking players are in the process of clearing the attacking zone.
If an off-side call is delayed, the Linesman shall drop his arm to nullify the off-side violation and allow play to continue if:
(i) All players of the offending team clear the zone at the same instant (skate contact with the blue line) permitting the attacking players to re-enter the attacking zone, or
(ii) The defending team passes or carries the puck into the neutral zone.
If the attacking team does not clear the attacking zone, play shall be stopped for the off-side violation if any attacking player touches the puck, or attempts to gain possession of a loose puck while the puck is still in the attacking zone, or forces the defending puck carrier further back into the attacking zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier.
If, during a delayed off-side, an attacking player in the attacking zone elects to proceed to his players' bench (which extends into the attacking zone) to be replaced by a teammate, he shall be considered to have cleared the zone provided he is completely off the ice and his replacement comes onto the ice in the neutral zone. If his replacement comes onto the ice in the attacking zone, if the delayed off-side is still in effect, he too must clear the attacking zone. If the remaining attacking players have cleared the attacking zone and the Linesman has lowered his arm for the delayed off-side, he shall be considered on-side.

I added more to my original post. Like you said, so long as everyone gets onside before anyone plays the puck, offside is waived. In this case, the Caps player who was closest to the puck (Connolly) didn't tag up before he took the puck and passed it right to Backstrom.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Haven't seen a replay close enough to determine if Connolly played the puck or not, but either way Pete has to trust the #1 pk and challenge the call in a tight game.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I added more to my original post. Like you said, so long as everyone gets onside before anyone plays the puck, offside is waived. In this case, the Caps player who was closest to the puck (Connolly) didn't tag up before he took the puck and passed it right to Backstrom.

His foot is still on the line.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Why can't they take advantage of LA and Anaheim's losses? They have nobody to blame but themselves if they miss the playoffs. I really hope to see the news that Jumbo is skating any day now.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I believe Randy's mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong, but once a player is offside that player's team can't touch the puck until it's exited the zone. That is unless ALL members of the team tag up, which the guy closest to the puck clearly didn't do.

Puck doesn't have to exit. Players only have to exit.

Reactions: tiburon12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad